Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad had a low pressure tire warning light on. He went by the dealer and they said he had a nail in the inside tire wall. They said it was not repairable and needed to be replaced. Thankfully he declined. He took it to the local tire shop and they could not find any holes or nails and said it was just a little low.

About two years ago, I had the same issue and they told me the same thing. I went to another local tire shop and they found a staple but it was in the tread and could easily be patched or plugged. I had it patched.

I was reading in another thread where someone described the same situation. Is this some new trick the dealers are trying to play???

:wtf:

Milton Ruban Toyota, Augusta GA
Bob Richards Toyota, Beech Island, SC

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
Weird...I've seen some tire shops, most notably 'Discount Tire' in our area, claim a tire was unrepairable as the nail or whatever was 'outside of the standard area they set as legally repairable', and try and sell you an ENTIRE SET of new tires (or at least two) because 'we have to, since your car is AWD.' Taking the tire to any number of other shops here in town (Big O, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.) and they look at it, say its repairable, and repair it. I just think Discount has narrower standards (and want more sales?).

As to dealers, that is a strange one because I've never seen it at all. Does that dealer sell tires (many don't, or just do it as a convenience only)? Did they mark where they saw the puncture? Did your dad actually watch as that second shop dunked the tire in a tank and confirmed that no air was leaking?

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems with the dealer....

A year or so ago, I went in to my local dealer to have the infamous "steering clunk" diagnosed. I walked out the door with a estimate for almost $3000 to fix the problem. This included replacing the steering rack and the intermediate shaft. Instead of trying to diagnose and fix the problem correctly, they just decided to "throw parts at it" and then leave me with the bill....

A bunch of SERIOUS morons here in Melbourne Florida. Do not ever go to that particular dealer for anything. "You have been warned"! The parts department is just as bad.

After a quick search on Google and reading about the issue on other forums, I found out that all I had to do was unhook the intermediate shaft, cycle it up and down to redistribute some grease and thats it! It only took me about 10 minutes and did not cost me a dime!

Go Toyota! What a crock! I still get steamed when I think about that incident!

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
Weird...I've seen some tire shops, most notably 'Discount Tire' in our area, claim a tire was unrepairable as the nail or whatever was 'outside of the standard area they set as legally repairable', and try and sell you an ENTIRE SET of new tires (or at least two) because 'we have to, since your car is AWD.' Taking the tire to any number of other shops here in town (Big O, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.) and they look at it, say its repairable, and repair it. I just think Discount has narrower standards (and want more sales?).

As to dealers, that is a strange one because I've never seen it at all. Does that dealer sell tires (many don't, or just do it as a convenience only)? Did they mark where they saw the puncture? Did your dad actually watch as that second shop dunked the tire in a tank and confirmed that no air was leaking?
Any tire shop that comes to me and says, the tire was unrepairable, I always ask to see the tire. It should be off the rim and the bad place chalk marked if it's a flat. It's easy to feel inside for the object or where it went though if it's been removed. Drive on the spare and then take the tire to another tire shop to have it fixed, or do it yourself.

Selling tires is a huge business including the car dealers. Most likely the young tire shop workers and salesman make a nice commission when selling a new set of tires.

·
Registered
710 Posts
A word of warning also watch out for dealers who offer free state inspections. It's amazing how many wiper blades are defective or how many brake lights or sensors that need replaced. This is after the owner checks everything. It's not me. It's my brother-law. I once had a discount tire place call me to say I needed new struts. I said go ahead and put them on as they were just replaced and I had a no cost warranty. The company called back to say the struts were only dirty and did not need replaced. I don't shop there now.

·
6,696 Posts
I am not sure, what is this about. So, you go to YOUR work and YOU charge people only fair and square price? Like say $220 to replace that flush thing in a toilet, that costs $16 Home Depot and take 10 minutes to replace?
Folks, EVERYONE is trying to get their cut of the pie fast and furious. You make it here, you lose it there.
You want fix for this? DIY everything you possibly can. Buy tires off craigslist. Become intelligent and capable car owner. Or, bite a bullet and be dealt with by dealers and such.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,291 Posts
I am not sure, what is this about. So, you go to YOUR work and YOU charge people only fair and square price? Like say $220 to replace that flush thing in a toilet, that costs $16 Home Depot and take 10 minutes to replace?
Folks, EVERYONE is trying to get their cut of the pie fast and furious. You make it here, you lose it there.
You want fix for this? DIY everything you possibly can. Buy tires off craigslist. Become intelligent and capable car owner. Or, bite a bullet and be dealt with by dealers and such.
Got to say there's a lot of truth to this. I plug my own tires, and the plug repair kit costs about $5 at any auto parts store. It's not rocket science, and anyone can do it. There's even a tutorial on how to do it in the General Discussion forum if I remember correctly.

Also, I'll add that dealers....any dealer from any auto manufacturer....are notorious for high prices and poor quality work. The best you can do for yourself is to find a good private mechanic in your area and have them work on your car, and only take your car to a dealer for warranty work or for recall work. Save yourself some headaches and tears.

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
391 Posts
As a shop owner I have a few comments to make. I do not sell used tires for example because the liability is too high for me to take a chance. Plugging tires which was considered a perfectly acceptable repair in the past is now no longer considered acceptable by the TIA or manufacturers. Only a plug patch, properly designed and installed is ok. You are also only allowed a small area in which it is considered ok. Don't care about the regulations? Fine, do it anyway and run the risk of losing your business and all assets if you get sued.
TPMS? Are you aware that by FEDERAL LAW, I cannot install a set of wheels and tires on a vehicle which would render the TPMS inoperative? I am not even supposed to mount and balance them without knowing what vehicle they came from. If I chose to defy it I can be fined 50k per tire per occurrence. If a vehicle comes into my shop for tire work and the TPMS is not working, I am not legally allowed to do the tire work without repairing the TPMS system. If a TPMS breaks in my shop, I cannot legally release the car without the repair.
Point is this, Not to defend Dealer Tire who I cannot personally stand but there are lots of things to look at when it comes to tires and tire repair nowadays. I am up on all the regulations, some tire dealers and shops are not or do not care. That is their concern. I won't risk my shop or a big fine to save someone a few bucks.

Mike Hevner
President
M&M Auto/Cycle LLC
Montague NJ 07827

1 - 8 of 8 Posts