Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
also the truck driver didnt choose to have its tire blow, semi trucks blow tires tens of times a day on the 401, he cant be faulty about this
Sorry, but you are wrong. SEE THIS LINK

P.S. I've had my AZ for years, so I know a lot about truck tire blow-outs and safety measures & responsibilities in that regard. I just never worked as a truck driver - got the AZ as a plan B or C in case plan A doesn't work.

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
167 Posts
also the truck driver didnt choose to have its tire blow, semi trucks blow tires tens of times a day on the 401, he cant be faulty about this
It's a consequence of saving money on retreads, since failure of the glue that holds the tread pattern to the carcass is a common failure

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
UPDATE # 2: The guys at Oakville Toyota are absolutely wonderful. After sharing my experience with them, explaining how the guys at Erin Park Toyota treated me; they decided to split the cost of my deductible with me. Something the general manager at Erin Park Toyota could have and should have done, but hey, not everyone takes pride in justice and good customer relations. I hope he enjoys reading my 1 star review, and the complaint I filed with Toyota Corporate.

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
2016 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion (APR Stage 1, Neuspeed P-flow/wheels)
167 Posts
UPDATE # 2: The guys at Oakville Toyota are absolutely wonderful. After sharing my experience with them, explaining how the guys at Erin Park Toyota treated me; they decided to split the cost of my deductible with me. Something the general manager at Erin Park Toyota could have and should have done, but hey, not everyone takes pride in justice and good customer relations. I hope he enjoys reading my 1 star review, and the complaint I filed with Toyota Corporate.
Oakville Toyota isn't a certified collision center. Maybe they will farm it out to a local shop that is.

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Oakville Toyota isn't a certified collision center. Maybe they will farm it out to a local shop that is.

Neither is Erin Park Toyota - they both farm it out. Oakville Toyota uses Rahim Kanani they are a certified shop located right next to the dealership in Oakville and have an exclusive contract with them. Anyone who might be interested can call Oakville Toyota Collision Center @ (905) 842-8400 ext 3261. A good friend of mine recommended them as he was very happy with 3 different repairs they did on both his Toyota Camry's... (Yeah, he and his wife are not the best drivers LoL). Rahim is great, has excellent customer relations and from what I hear does great work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Here is a similar story. In short, in Ontario any dealership has the legal right to turn it off, up to you to make sure it is on afterwards:

I have a dash cam, and I check it quickly that it is on every time I get into the car. When the incident with tire debris happened to me I didn't have a dash cam...

Also, have a look at this, you may be eligible for some compensation from MTO since this was on 400-series hwy:

Just to confirm my understanding, your qualm with Erin Park is that they turned off your camera?

Reactions: UNDER8ED

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here is a similar story. In short, in Ontario any dealership has the legal right to turn it off, up to you to make sure it is on afterwards:

I have a dash cam, and I check it quickly that it is on every time I get into the car. When the incident with tire debris happened to me I didn't have a dash cam...

Also, have a look at this, you may be eligible for some compensation from MTO since this was on 400-series hwy:

Just to confirm my understanding, your qualm with Erin Park is that they turned off your camera?
That’s a great find! Yes, I’m upset they shut it off on me without telling me or asking me and furthermore without putting it back to how it was. My vehicle was not returned to me in the state I gave it to them. Never had this problem before, seems like it’s up to the specific technician who is working on the vehicle. When their actions cost me $, they lose me as a customer permanently.

·
Registered
231 Posts
So sorry to hear about the events you have to go thru. I feel your pain and frustration. So glad you are all OK and things are looking up.
I was involved in a multi-cars accident last year on Highway 1. The difference is that I hit a truck that was stopped sideways on my lane blocking the entire lane. By the time I saw it, it was impossible for me to avoid because there were cars beside me on one side, and people standing on the shoulder on the other, and that one short section of the highway was a sheet of ice. I had good new snow tires on (Nokian Hakkapeliitta), but there was no room or time to do anything. Long story short, I survived the crash with minor injury from the seat belt, my beloved Volvo saved me but was destroyed. It was a total nightmare. However, the dealing with my insurance company and the adjuster was even more stressful than the accident itself.
If you think about it, you possibly have the better outcome from an unfortunate event. If you would have slammed on your brake, you may or may not still hit the tire, but the car behind you could have smacked into you, and whatever chain reaction could happen behind you. You could have been injured due to multiple hits. Damage on your car could be worse and the insurance would try to fix it because it is likely not a write off. For a $1000, I think that is actually not a bad trade.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Insurance should be government regulated and owned like it is in Ottawa, Quebec and Montreal
they decided to split the cost of my deductible with me.
It is regulated… for profit!

Actually, your situation wouldn’t be different in Québec’s no fault system. Injuries are covered via a premium to a state-owned society, with fixed compensation according to some criteria but for the cars themselves, you still deal with a private insurer and adjusters.

Specialized lawyers fought hard when this system was introduced 42 years ago, arguing they could get better settlement via the court system (provided the other party has money…) and that bad people would go around causing accidents for fun since there would be “no consequences” (which is false, as premium rise and criminal law still apply).

The result has been, albeit with fixed compensations, no more courts delays and big savings on lawyer’s % (no problem, there is no lack of other type of cases) ending up with the lowest average insurance cost in Canada, less hassle for everyone and same if not better profits for insurance companies.

Glad you found a more accommodating dealer (too bad for the original one). Don’t worry, they’ll recoup your rebate money either via bulk discounts from subcontractor or insurer or (hopefully not) the quality of parts (New? Used? Generic?). Check carefully their quote and, afterward, their work… and if your camera is on! ;)

If it’s any consolation, you probably saved the equivalent of your deductible over the years by opting for a higher one but it might also be time to shop not only for a new dealer but a new insurer as well: after all, they could have trust your witness and you instead of requiring more proof.

·
UNDER8ED
Corolla Hatch XSE
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It is regulated… for profit!

Actually, your situation wouldn’t be different in Québec’s no fault system. Injuries are covered via a premium to a state-owned society, with fixed compensation according to some criteria but for the cars themselves, you still deal with a private insurer and adjusters.

Specialized lawyers fought hard when this system was introduced 42 years ago, arguing they could get better settlement via the court system (provided the other party has money…) and that bad people would go around causing accidents for fun since there would be “no consequences” (which is false, as premium rise and criminal law still apply).

The result has been, albeit with fixed compensations, no more courts delays and big savings on lawyer’s % (no problem, there is no lack of other type of cases) ending up with the lowest average insurance cost in Canada, less hassle for everyone and same if not better profits for insurance companies.

Glad you found a more accommodating dealer (too bad for the original one). Don’t worry, they’ll recoup your rebate money either via bulk discounts from subcontractor or insurer or (hopefully not) the quality of parts (New? Used? Generic?). Check carefully their quote and, afterward, their work… and if your camera is on! ;)

If it’s any consolation, you probably saved the equivalent of your deductible over the years by opting for a higher one but it might also be time to shop not only for a new dealer but a new insurer as well: after all, they could have trust your witness and you instead of requiring more proof.
I’m locked in with these guys for another 12 months, I have some good reasons for this (mostly obligated) for now, and it is also very difficult to find a company that offers accident forgiveness. To me that is very valuable to have, as your rates don’t increase even if you are at fault. After 12 months I’m positive I’ll move on and get a much better rate.

Thank-you for taking the time to explain all of the above; the more we learn/know the better. They use everything against us, so we need to be much more informed ourselves so they can’t take advantage of us. I feel so bad for people who just accept the book the adjuster throws at them without arguing it. Especially immigrants and the less educated; my heart goes out to them.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
52 Posts
Truck drivers are responsible because they are required to do pre-trip inspection including checking all 18 tired inside and out before signing off and driving off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keep pushing the dealership because right now they are just trying to make you go away. Contact the owner and if that doesnt work start posting on social media and review boards, they hate that. If all else fails I am sure you have small claims court and just pay the deductible and take them to it. Have your dash cam for evidence and have documentation that they told you they would not cover the repairs. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is nuts. You won't win in court - you could not prove the mechanic's intent. Let it go. File a claim or pay for the repairs and move on with your life. There are MUCH MORE important things going on that are worthy of your time and attention.

·
Registered
2018 T Highlander
114 Posts
Indeed, but that would involve common sense on their part which they clearly don't have--and now because of it I am stuck dealing with so much b/s.
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you guys are well.

I noticed my Dealership too has disconnected my DashCam in the past without ever mentioning anything to me,I didn't bring it up my car was parked in their lot and for me it wasn't worth walking back to discuss why the unplugged it. I figured they did it to protect themselves from letting video of what goes on in there leave the building.

I for one tho, do check my vehicle inside and out when I pick it up as well as drop it off, to make sure I get it back in the same condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My insurance broker assured me that I have to pay a $1,000 deductible for this. That makes me extremely angry, and I obviously STRONGLY disagree with that decision! What can I do in regards to that? I don't see how I should have to pay anything at all.

Also, I am EXTREMELY angry at the Toyota Dealership's technician who shut off my dash cam without my permission, and without informing me at all. I don't think that they should just get off the hook so easy for their actions; as it is directly contributing to costing me $1,000 out of pocket now. This is very wrong, on so many levels. If we don't stand up for ourselves, who will?
This makes me want to go out and buy a jap mobile........ :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its your responsibility to check your stuff. If the tech repositioned your mirror's, would you blame them because you backed up into something? You probably would. That's the type of person you probably are.
Did you explicitly tell the dealer and technician you had a dash cam recording? At drop off? Or Did it slip your mind? STOP trying to hold everyone to a standard, higher than you hold yourself.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Its your responsibility to check your stuff. If the tech repositioned your mirror's, would you blame them because you backed up into something? You probably would. That's the type of person you probably are.
Did you explicitly tell the dealer and technician you had a dash cam recording? At drop off? Or Did it slip your mind? STOP trying to hold everyone to a standard, higher than you hold yourself.
So you are saying that it was his job to check if the engine oil cap was on before he drove off the dealership too. I think it's unfair to compare the mirror and his dashcam.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,242 Posts
Everyone has a camera these days. It's personal property, but on a private property. Owners want the control when accidents like the op's as documented evidence.

One could argue that without the video, there's no way to assign the actual party at fault.

Granted, a blow out is on the owner of the vehicle that suffered the damage. It then in turn caused another incident.

There will likely be a waiver form that customers will need to sign that if their vehicle is equipped with a dash cam will be turned off.

At the end of the day, op is upset because the loss of the footage. The mere act of unplugging it likely caused the camera to overwrite the footage of the accident.

It's not to place blame perse. Just the dishonesty of people not willing to own up to the actual act.

Like the Firestone lawsuits, this is a manufacturers defect as well as operator neglect. There's plenty of owner operators that cut a few corners to save money. But in the end, it costs them more.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Everyone has a camera these days. It's personal property, but on a private property. Owners want the control when accidents like the op's as documented evidence.

One could argue that without the video, there's no way to assign the actual party at fault.

Granted, a blow out is on the owner of the vehicle that suffered the damage. It then in turn caused another incident.

There will likely be a waiver form that customers will need to sign that if their vehicle is equipped with a dash cam will be turned off.

At the end of the day, op is upset because the loss of the footage. The mere act of unplugging it likely caused the camera to overwrite the footage of the accident.

It's not to place blame perse. Just the dishonesty of people not willing to own up to the actual act.

Like the Firestone lawsuits, this is a manufacturers defect as well as operator neglect. There's plenty of owner operators that cut a few corners to save money. But in the end, it costs them more.
I have to say it will be very hard for him to prove the dealer disconnected his dashcam. But as you mentioned the dealer just lost one customer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Speaking as a commercial truck driver, if you can't stop in time to avoid something like this, you're following too closely. Not the fault of the dealer. No room to swerve? More reason to increase following distance.

Ya'll drive carefully out there! It's not worth the risk, start earlier or arrive a little later. People around you don't like it, their problem, if you're doing it in the slow lane.

Check out my 2 Corolla race cars in the Hardcore tech and competition forum!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts