Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm also a has-been Master Auto Tech. Never disconnected anything in a customer's car, but I quit wrenching before there were any cameras. Unlike most though, I always wrote down radio stations before disconnecting battery, so I could put them back as they were.

While truck drivers are required to inspect, that wouldn't include crawling under the truck to see every inch of everything. And stuff can happen during the day to cause tires to blow. Be aware, these things weigh many times as much as your car weighs, don't put yourself at risk. Give them plenty of room, spend as little time as possible beside them, and don't be a jerk by cutting them off and brake checking them (or cutting them off at all!)unless you have a death wish.

Their tires also inflate to 100 psi or so(Sorry, I'm not metric with that!), or 3 times as much as your car's. I've seen them blow, the pieces are heavy, you don't want to be around them!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ontario:
"HTA s84.2 covers any vehicle part, including wheels, becoming detached, and can result in operator or driver being charged. HTA s84.3 can be used if it’s determined “someone, such as a technician, did an improper installation that caused the wheel assembly to detach.”

Lastly, HTA s84(1) “is a charge section that can be used to charge a driver or an operator for an unsafe vehicle condition.”

If it’s a commercial vehicle that sheds a wheel (or any part) the fine is $2,000 to $50,000"

Source:

USA:
"Road debris is generally the responsibility of the driver whose vehicle shed it. Just as a pickup truck driver may be liable for a mattress or ladder that falls out of the back of his truck, truck drivers or their parent companies may be liable for gators from their trucks that are not dealt with in an appropriately safe manner."

Source:

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,385 Posts
I'm also a has-been Master Auto Tech. Never disconnected anything in a customer's car, but I quit wrenching before there were any cameras. Unlike most though, I always wrote down radio stations before disconnecting battery, so I could put them back as they were.

While truck drivers are required to inspect, that wouldn't include crawling under the truck to see every inch of everything. And stuff can happen during the day to cause tires to blow. Be aware, these things weigh many times as much as your car weighs, don't put yourself at risk. Give them plenty of room, spend as little time as possible beside them, and don't be a jerk by cutting them off and brake checking them (or cutting them off at all!)unless you have a death wish.

Their tires also inflate to 100 psi or so(Sorry, I'm not metric with that!), or 3 times as much as your car's. I've seen them blow, the pieces are heavy, you don't want to be around them!
If you can visually see both side mirrors, slow down and give them more distance. They won't know what happened if they can't see you.

Tire bits are heavy and when they go, it's a flying projectile. Just like when a rock gets loose between tire treds. They cause chips or cracks on the windshield, or a dent in the body.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Short and sweet : you are in the wrong. It is YOUR responsibility before driving away that everything( within reason) is working.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Regarding the dashcam, same thing happened to when when I got my car serviced. I got it back with the dashcam unplugged one of the three times I took my car in. I found it odd they didn't tell me anything about the dashcam but I'm assuming they do it to protect themselves for whatever reason.
Of course they don't want you to see what they are doing to your car! Lots ot techs seem to get in trouble for stuff that they do that they shouldn't be doing; it's all over the internet. Always assume that you need to check that when you get the car back.

·
Supercharzed Toyz Raczing
2 ea Mark 1 mr2's
308 Posts
INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE -NOT- INTERESTED IN ANYTHING BUT PROFITS. YOU ARE A PAYEE AND THAT'S IT.
SECONDLY, DID YOU LEARN ABOUT THE SKY HIGH DEDUCTIBLES? HOPE SO. IT'S LIKE YOU SCREWED YOURSELF W A $1K DEDUCTIBLE.
JUST LIKE DEALING W BAD COPS, IF YOU HAVE VISIBLE VIDEOS YOUR MUCH BETTER OFF.

AS FOR TURNING OFF DASH-CAMS AT YOUR DEALER. I HOPE OTHERS LEARN BY YOUR MISTAKE TO NOT MAKE WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS.

·
Registered
20 Corolla HB XSE
20 Posts
DID YOU LEARN ABOUT THE SKY HIGH DEDUCTIBLES?
Deductible amount is a variable amount (based on location, insurance company, etc.) that one can research and decide if it's worth it or not. Peace of mind of not needing to keep deductible aside is nice, but I felt it wasn't worth it after all these years when I had emergency funds set aside.

In 2018, the premium for $0 deductible for my insurance was $343 then it went up to $427 in 2019. I've upped my deductible to $1k and the premium now is $12. If I don't cause any accidents in 3 years then I'll break even.

In the past 10 years, I never claimed an at-fault collision through insurance so I never needed to pay the deductible. I've only used it when someone else was at fault or for comprehensive coverage, such as a stone chip cracking my windshield or a raccoon cracking my bumper. I had $0 comprehensive deductible as well but I put it up to $100 now. It'll take me 2 years without a comprehensive claim to break even.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
55 Posts
I don't know about most of you guys but, I have a habit of watching any footage, if there are any if they noticed and turn off my cam, as soon as I pick up any of my ride from service and just skim through em.

Ends up with working cam as well as I put the sdcard back in the unit or when using wireless, the cam needs to be powered up.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts