Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn’t check the oil level after the last oil change which was several months ago. Despite all those months, the car has only been driven a couple hundred miles since then. It’s still on the same tank of gas.
I decided to check the oil on a cold engine today and the dipstick shows well above the max level dot.
I assume if the engine was warm, it would show an even higher level on the dipstick.

At what point is it a problem requiring draining oil to get the dipstick to show a level within the normal range?

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
You want it to be no higher than the upper line when cold.
There is some forgiveness to allow for expansion of the oil as it warms.

Get it nice and warm, give it a good run, and check the oil. If the oil appears foamy on the dipstick, you're getting windage which is very bad.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the level would actually be lower when the engine is running because oil will be circulating, not accumulated in the sump
Last time I forgot to put a dipstick back in before driving, the engine spit out oil all over the place. When smoke started pouring out was when I knew something was wrong and raised the hood. Don't start the engine with the dipstick out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the level would actually be lower when the engine is running because oil will be circulating, not accumulated in the sump
I drove the car to the store and back, waited 15 minutes and rechecked and now it looks like it’s at the right level if I’m reading it correctly.
I see oil going up the dipstick, but maybe that’s oil that got smeared when the dipstick was being pulled out.
Wood Office supplies Font Metal Writing implement

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,234 Posts
When I check my oil level, it wipe down the dip stick when I first pull it out. Then put it back in. The second removal is the one I use to verify the level.

edit : if your dealer did overfill the oil, I suggest you look for another dealer or diy.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
Ya... pull and wipe the stick, then wait a couple of minutes for the oil to run back down the tube, then reinsert the stick.
That will avoid a false high reading from dragging oil up the tube.

·
Registered
2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander
191 Posts
The best way to avoid a false reading is to let the car sit overnight (or better yet, a couple of days), then pull the dipstick without starting the car. Don't wipe and re-insert; just pull the dipstick once and read it.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Picture helps.

I'd take max 1 cm above the max when the engine is warm.
would that be equivalent to 1/4 of a quart? IDK what that is in millilitres at the moment

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
would that be equivalent to 1/4 of a quart? IDK what that is in millilitres at the moment
No clue but what I know for my Camry is it takes 4.5 qt and I am always over full. However because I know it takes 4.5 qt that if I have to use another bottle I did something wrong.

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
1/4 of a quart would be 8oz... a traditional (small) coffee cup... 1/2 pint.
I'd just go with "a small drop" of oil and see how far it goes.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
1/4 of a quart would be 8oz... a traditional (small) coffee cup... 1/2 pint.
most of the world uses the metric system
vangm25 used cm for a measurement so i thought he might know something about liquid measurements in the metric system

·
Banned
18,382 Posts
most of the world uses the metric system
vangm25 used cm for a measurement so i thought he might know something about liquid measurements in the metric system
No not really, I just see 1 cm easier than .5 inch. A quick "drop", a small "dash", just "a hair".

·
Registered
15 Corolla LE CVT
14 Posts
I own a 2015 Corolla LE that I bought new. As has been mentioned, when you pull the dipstick out it tends to wet the tube so much that I can't get a good read even cleaning and reinserting. I like to check mine when the engine is warm and thus the oil is thinned. I pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean then lay it on top of the engine. I want any oil that was in the tube to drain out so I like to let it sit like this for quite a while. I lower the hood to ensure no stray cats jump in there 😀 and I hang a rag over the steering wheel as a reminder (I am the only driver). Later, when I reinsert the dipstick and pull it out there is a clear indication of the oil level. Same with my riding mower for the same reasons.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,936 Posts
I own a 2015 Corolla LE that I bought new. As has been mentioned, when you pull the dipstick out it tends to wet the tube so much that I can't get a good read even cleaning and reinserting. I like to check mine when the engine is warm and thus the oil is thinned. I pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean then lay it on top of the engine. I want any oil that was in the tube to drain out so I like to let it sit like this for quite a while. I lower the hood to ensure no stray cats jump in there 😀 and I hang a rag over the steering wheel as a reminder (I am the only driver). Later, when I reinsert the dipstick and pull it out there is a clear indication of the oil level. Same with my riding mower for the same reasons.
This works... but 5 minutes is more than enough.
Pull and wipe the stick, then check your air pressure, air filters, other fluid levels, check radiator for bugs and rocks, clean the glass... that's more than enough time for the tube to drain back.

Or pull the dipstick and take a direct reading without wiping and reinserting first thing in the morning before you've driven the car anywhere, just realize that when warm it'll be a bit higher.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts