Toyota Nation Forum banner

Deals to be had on '05s

1746 4
Well I finally did it. Here is the story. About 4 months ago I went to my local Toyota dealer and left $200 and an order for an '06 with a #8 package in Driftwood. I went back last week (12/08) to check on the progress and within 2 days I went from "you are the 1st one on the '06 list" to ". . . my Pirus won't be in until 'maybe' mid-February or later". Angry was an understatement and I demanded my deposit back after I had done more homework.

Seems as though the biggest dealer on the east coast asked for 8 of the #8 packages on the Prius with everyone sold - he will be receiving only one (which obviously is sold). He is the only dealer out of 35 dealers that I called and talked with who are actually getting ANY of the #8 packages on a Prius. So my next best option was to search out an '05 with a #6 package. Right now there are a lot of them around - everybody is waiting for '06 to get the tax credit and they aren't buying anything! There are a quite a few Prius around right now (almost all are '05s but I actually found 1 dealer with an '06 #4 package in red - NOT SOLD).

I had several dealers actually willing to take a deposit now on their '05 and also agreed to hold the car for delivery until 1/2/06 - BINGO tax credit time! Do your homework - the dealer I bought not only agreed to hold the car until 1/2/06 he took $700 off of the sticker price! He did tell me that this was the first Prius he has ever sold that did not sell for sticker or even more than sticker and it was his last '05. What do I care - I got my Tideland Pearl, a color that is being discontinued, with a #6 package, saved $700 plus beat the price increase AND got the FED/IRS $3,150 tax credit too! By the way the car had been at the dealer for 3 days prior to my purchase (or should I say hold/deposit - actual purchase will be 1/2/06).

If you want a Prius and your name has been on a list that doesn't mean crap except your dealer has probably been drinking beer :chug: at your expence using your deposit money and the interest that it could have been earning. $200 is nothing these days but I understand some dealers are requiring $500 to $1,000 deposits! If they would just tell you from the beginning that they can not order anything from Toyota that would be a different story. Instead they just lie about it, make things up, and take advantage of people. I know all dealerships aren't like this but of the 35 that I contacted more fell into this category than those who did not.

Christmas came early for me and Santa won't drop off his gift until 1/2/06 but I will have my gift in time to get the tax credit! Good luck to all - especially if your name is on some kind of stupid "Toyota dealer Prius list" - if it is, they are lying to you too!

Happy Holidays!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Prius1 said:
Well I finally did it. Here is the story. About 4 months ago I went to my local Toyota dealer and left $200 and an order for an '06 with a #8 package in Driftwood. I went back last week (12/08) to check on the progress and within 2 days I went from "you are the 1st one on the '06 list" to ". . . my Pirus won't be in until 'maybe' mid-February or later". Angry was an understatement and I demanded my deposit back after I had done more homework.

Seems as though the biggest dealer on the east coast asked for 8 of the #8 packages on the Prius with everyone sold - he will be receiving only one (which obviously is sold). He is the only dealer out of 35 dealers that I called and talked with who are actually getting ANY of the #8 packages on a Prius. So my next best option was to search out an '05 with a #6 package. Right now there are a lot of them around - everybody is waiting for '06 to get the tax credit and they aren't buying anything! There are a quite a few Prius around right now (almost all are '05s but I actually found 1 dealer with an '06 #4 package in red - NOT SOLD).

I had several dealers actually willing to take a deposit now on their '05 and also agreed to hold the car for delivery until 1/2/06 - BINGO tax credit time! Do your homework - the dealer I bought not only agreed to hold the car until 1/2/06 he took $700 off of the sticker price! He did tell me that this was the first Prius he has ever sold that did not sell for sticker or even more than sticker and it was his last '05. What do I care - I got my Tideland Pearl, a color that is being discontinued, with a #6 package, saved $700 plus beat the price increase AND got the FED/IRS $3,150 tax credit too! By the way the car had been at the dealer for 3 days prior to my purchase (or should I say hold/deposit - actual purchase will be 1/2/06).

If you want a Prius and your name has been on a list that doesn't mean crap except your dealer has probably been drinking beer :chug: at your expence using your deposit money and the interest that it could have been earning. $200 is nothing these days but I understand some dealers are requiring $500 to $1,000 deposits! If they would just tell you from the beginning that they can not order anything from Toyota that would be a different story. Instead they just lie about it, make things up, and take advantage of people. I know all dealerships aren't like this but of the 35 that I contacted more fell into this category than those who did not.

Christmas came early for me and Santa won't drop off his gift until 1/2/06 but I will have my gift in time to get the tax credit! Good luck to all - especially if your name is on some kind of stupid "Toyota dealer Prius list" - if it is, they are lying to you too!

Happy Holidays!

This may be old news, but as a Sales Manager I understand your concern. You CANNOT order ANYTHING built in Japan. They ship them, and then dealers just trade amongst themselves after they hit port and either have them trucked into the correct dealer, or swap after it hits the ground.

Putting down a deposit guarantees your place in line, but not that you'll get your car before the next guy. Dealers are at the mercey of the Manufacturer... and it may be the case that someone at another dealer will back out of a deal and the car you want will be available alot sooner than the allotted waiting time.

Alot of salespeople mislead customers unknowingly, and some do it on purpose, but the truth is that NO JAPANESE MADE TOYOTAS CAN BE ORDERED BY ANY DEALER IN THE USA. A camry that is being built in kentucky can be ordered and completely reconfigured before it is built. The Japanese plants make cars for the world, and it would slow production down dramatically if they tried to match orders all day long. They just pump them out and let the dealers sort it out. North American Plants make cars primarily for North America and it is alot easier to communicate with htem via Dealer Daily.

Just a little inside info... hope it helps.

· Registered
21 Posts
FWIW
In Australia, there are only two models - the basic and what is called the I-Tech that has all the extras that are available here (smart entry, nav, stability control, Bluetooth, Premium audio, 6 disk CD changer and cassette player, 9 speakers, side and curtain airbags).
There are 7 external colours available each with one interior colour, giving a total of 14 selections.

Edit
I was told my Prius would be made once the order reached Japan. Bearing in mind what has been said above, I guess Toyota puts my name on one when a matching vehicle comes of the assembly line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.