Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am trying to install a cd player in my truck.. should be simple enough and yet i think i broke it... I did install one of the adapter plug kits for my car, and it says its for my year truck 86 4 runner.. So i pluged that in.. and the cd player tells me on the label what those wires mean coming from the deck..

I thought the wiring maybe bad... so i ran a hot wire from my battery to the deck.. I get the deck lights to turn on.. but not the face part... I may of fried it?

So i ran the hot wire from the battery to my remote ground, and to my constant battery wire. I also have a voltage meter.. So know i have power and a good ground.. so i have power to the remote wire, the constant wire, and the igition switch wire..(the remote wire and constant battery wire are both ran off the ONE hot wire hooked to the batteries + terminal) but still the lights on the deck light up and nothing on the face.. (i mean like the button lights, light up.. but the face does not tell me anything it remains black)It will not accpect a cd either.. I also hooked up one of my speaks but i dont know if it even works the speaker...

I did a getto install job, so i just twisted the wires together so they may of touched each other i think.. but wouldnt that just blow the fluse in the deck? which i also checked? and its good.. i am confused..

Hmm any ideas?///

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh i also hit the power button many times on the deck to see if it was turned off.. and everytime i get nothing.. its a cheap o dual deck deh 665.. but its still a radio.. and i dont currently have a radio...

·
Banned
443 Posts
undertow29 said:
So i ran the hot wire from the battery to my remote ground, and to my constant battery wire. I also have a voltage meter.. So know i have power and a good ground.. so i have power to the remote wire, the constant wire, and the igition switch wire..(the remote wire and constant battery wire are both ran off the ONE hot wire hooked to the batteries + terminal) but still the lights on the deck light up and nothing on the face.. (i mean like the button lights, light up.. but the face does not tell me anything it remains black)It will not accpect a cd either.. I also hooked up one of my speaks but i dont know if it even works the speaker...
Okay, you said you have power going to three different wires... I'm assuming you mean you have POSITIVE to three wires.

That said, you should have TWO positives and a ground. I'm going from memory but this should be close:

RED-Switched power +
YELLOW-Constant power + (memory)
BLACK-ground -
There's either a blue or orange (or both) remote/pwr antenna wire. That wire SUPPLIES 12volts positive to an amp or power antenna as a signal to turn on/extend.

It seems that you connected the remote wire to positive, which means the battery is feeding 12v to the deck on that wire, and the deck is feeding 12v back. Not good.

·
Banned
443 Posts
I went to my shop, I've got a Phase Linear/Jensen/Audiovox unit sitting on a shelf, I think it's the same thing as you have. There's a fuse on the red and the yellow wire, check those. I'm worried though you may have fried something by sending power both ways when you hooked that remote wire to the battery.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i hooked the wires up as you said.. I have the igintion wire hooked up the the red wires on both parts. volt meter says it has power.. i have the blue remote hoooked up to the + off the battery and the yellow + hooked up the battery....

i did first install the remote on to the remote on, on the adapter at first.. still got nothing..

·
Banned
443 Posts
The remote/blue wire shouldn't be hooked to anything. Cap it off. The only time it's used is for an amp or a power antenna.

Also some units I think have a reset button you use a pen to press, I don't think that one does but doesn't hurt to look.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but when the remote isnt on the deck doesnt even have the lights.... so ur telling me.. i just need to hook up the red + for the ingition switch make sure it gets around 12 volts when the switch is on ACC, or running,

and the yellow memory, make sure its getting 12 Volts, + to battery.. always has 12 volts..

and the black ground - to a ground... easy to check by seeing if it works with the yellow or red..

·
Banned
443 Posts
undertow29 said:
i just need to hook up the red + for the ingition switch make sure it gets around 12 volts when the switch is on ACC, or running,

and the yellow memory, make sure its getting 12 Volts, + to battery.. always has 12 volts..

and the black ground - to a ground... e
Bingo... the blue wire shouldn't be affecting the deck lights, aftermarkets don't usually have an illumination lead. Like I said, if you hooked up the blue to the battery, thats probably your damage cause the blue wire SENDS OUT 12v+, not recieve it like the red and yellow.

Can you take a picture of the wiring as you have it hooked up?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i will try again tommorow and i will show you what i got going on... and the deck does not have an illimation wire.... so i will reinstall it... and show you.. whats your e mail? so i can send you a few pics?

and i will try the rest button the deck.. i found it. its behind the faceplate.. you gotta take the face plate off...

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD SR5
225 Posts
OK so this is really behind this post but.....

Yellow=constant wire +12 volts always
Red= Switched ignition shows +12 volts when key is in ACC or Run, including when car is turned on.
Black= Ground to metal
Orange (of any color)= Do Not Hook Up under any circumstances. This is an illumination/Dimmer Wire. Aftermarket deck have them built in.
Solid Blue= Power Atn. shows power when deck is in radio mode.
Blue with white stripe= Amp Turn on supplies power whenever the deck is on no matter what mode
Purple= right rear positive speaker lead
Purple with black = right rear negative speaker lead
Green= Left rear positive speaker lead
Green with Black= Left rear negative speaker lead
White= Left Front Positive Speaker Lead
White with Black= Left Front Negative speaker lead
Gray= Right front positive speaker lead
Gray with Black= Right front negative speaker lead

Any other wires cap off. they could be a mute lead, Parking brake lead or other useless leads.

If your OEM harness that you pulled out of the OEM radio is not cut go to a car audio store and pick up this harness: Metra Harness # 70-1761. Then play the match the colors game but do not hook up the orange NO MATTER WHAT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.