Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit a deer with my 2018 Avalon back on 21-Sept. The car has been at the body shop since 24-Sept, I hope to get back by the end of the week. The total damages have come in right at $10k, insurance company is paying all by my $250 deductible.

As you can see, I hit the deer right in the middle of the car. Hood, grill, headlights, facia, front radiator core support, radiator, ac condenssor, windshield are all being replaced. Along with the radar for the cruise control. What scares me most about this repair is having the front core support cut out and new one welded in. Also, the ac system has been cracked open, worried about its long term viability.

Considering trading on a 2020 to avoid any future problems. I really like my '18, don't want to spend the money on a 2020, I'm sure I'll take a hit on the trade in, I'm sure there will be a Carfax report now.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon Limited
116 Posts
The Carfax accident report could sometimes take up to 90 days to show up. It`s not that bad of a hit. It must be all OEM replacement parts that drive the repair costs up to 10K, or I am way out of touch on body shop repair costs ? The rad support is no big deal. I would be more concerned with the paint matching, and the fit and finish of the work done. When you pick up the car. Check everything, like you would if you were buying the car all over again B4 you bring it home. A/C, Lights, signals, wipers, washer pump, Etc. .And test the radar cruise asap. Good Luck hope you like your car again! For 10 K I would expect it to be perfect.

·
Registered
2014 Avalon XLE Premium (traded in)
245 Posts
Just a heads up, some dealers have a disclosure form that they give you to fill out when you trade in a car.

·
PJSMITH
1,514 Posts
A good shop will write up EVERYTHING. Probably why the total is 10K. Since it's a center hit I think there would be little twist to the frame and the driveability should be solid. All factory parts should keep it right. I don't see the problem in future. My last body shop experience was that the bodyshop guaranteed the work and complete repair for life of all the repair. I asked specifically and they said if a failure happens, including paint, they would fix for free. no deductible, etc. If the car drives well after teh repair is finished, keep it for little extra money. An upgrade to 2020 will cost you at least 10K out of pocket. And anything left on teh current car balance

·
7,291 Posts
Insurances do not replace with OEM parts, unless they are unavailable from aftermarket. If you read your insurance agreement, it will say "OEM or adequate substitute". This is how insurances drive prices they pay to shops down and shops drive their profit up.
Just looking at it, it's about $5k repair at my buddy's shop. Can't even tell why exactly WS is to be replaced.
For $10K on the bill, 1st thing I'd do is to check that WS if it says Toyota on it. Those are special windshields, with some sort of noise reduction component to them.
Your Carfax report is already stained. The very moment you called insurance/tow truck. I had center hit on my then Highlander, a bit less damage, took them 10 days to fix it, a week later Carfax already had report of "front end damage, airbags not deployed". I sold it to dealer flat cash. Guy didn't appear to be much worried about accident, only asked if it was something minor.
Warranty is off damaged parts. The rest of the warranty is still good. At least, this is what I was told by dealership service guiy - we do not cover damaged components, but the rest of the vehicle still has warranty.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Estimate was written with aftermarket parts. However, the body shop performing the repairs does not like aftermarket parts and will use factory parts. The guy at the body shop told me it is a game now with the insurance companies. Factory parts are much easier to deal with and can save money on labor. So they will buy a factory part at a higher price but save more on the labor and prep time. He also told me the manufacturers want in on the parts business and have priced their stuff to compete with the aftermarket. Estimate is about 9 pages long. The chrome portion of the grill and radar was $948.00 alone. Windshield was $920.00. Hood was $455.00.

I'm worried about the WS also, last aftermarket one I had put in had some pretty nasty waves in it, the best Chineseium money can buy....

The body shop that it is at specializes in Toyota/Lexus and they have an excellent reputation, I'm expecting it to be done right. Body shop manager told me the paint match will be pretty good since the car is not that old.

During the estimate process, the body shop manager recommended an alignment, but can't write it up on the estimate unless the customer says something, I immediately said I think it was pulling right after the impact, he said that happens and put it on the estimate.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
464 Posts
The Carfax accident report could sometimes take up to 90 days to show up. It`s not that bad of a hit. It must be all OEM replacement parts that drive the repair costs up to 10K, or I am way out of touch on body shop repair costs ? The rad support is no big deal. I would be more concerned with the paint matching, and the fit and finish of the work done. When you pick up the car. Check everything, like you would if you were buying the car all over again B4 you bring it home. A/C, Lights, signals, wipers, washer pump, Etc. .And test the radar cruise asap. Good Luck hope you like your car again! For 10 K I would expect it to be perfect.

·
Registered
2014 AHXLE TOURING
464 Posts
I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid. I recently Tboned a car that ran a red light at an intersection. The body shop did a great job at repairing mine. I’m keeping it. Drive yours for awhile and see how you like it. I can tell no difference in the handling of mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts