Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unsure if this was previously asked, but is there a way to change the default driving mode to Sports?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am sure it could be done on the ECU level since the switch is just a toggle and not a physical switch.

However this is not a customizable setting AFAIK, unless Toyota comes out with a CAL to make the setting available in the future. I am all-in for that.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,044 Posts
Driving default mode cannot be changed to Sport.

Also, traction control comes back on by itself as soon as a wheel slips at all. I always have to hold the Traction Control button on for 3 seconds while at a complete stop to disable Stability Control altogether so that it and the Traction Control don't keep coming back on to disrupt my driving on snow and ice. :surprise:

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
862 Posts
Driving default mode cannot be changed to Sport.

Also, traction control comes back on by itself as soon as a wheel slips at all. I always have to hold the Traction Control button on for 3 seconds while at a complete stop to disable Stability Control altogether so that it and the Traction Control don't keep coming back on to disrupt my driving on snow and ice. :surprise:

5 seconds while holding brake does the trick. You gotta get STS and TCS both off. Also if you grab the hand brake while these are on and make the wheels lock, it'll turn off ABS as well :D

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,044 Posts
5 seconds while holding brake does the trick. You gotta get STS and TCS both off. Also if you grab the hand brake while these are on and make the wheels lock, it'll turn off ABS as well :D
You actually have to below 1 MPH for 3 seconds to get TRAC and VSC off... I can hold the button while braking and approaching a slippery stop, and it's disactivated by the time I'm at a full stop.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
862 Posts
You actually have to be braking for 3 seconds at below 1 MPH to get STS and TCS off... I can hold the button while braking and approaching a slippery stop, and it's disactivated by the time I'm at a full stop.

Well I've always done it from a complete stop.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,044 Posts
Well I've always done it from a complete stop.
You don't have to be braking, nor completely stopped... You just need to be nearly stopped (~<1mph), with or without the brakes while pressing the Traction Control button for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Meh, I wouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I love the sport mode, but if I leave it on the engine is far too loud for no reason once you're up to speed, or are slowly approaching a red light etc... I've personally found it better to turn sport mode on and off as needed when you actually wanna go.
The computer is kind of random though, the other day I was on the highway and still somehow managed to spin the wheels when I went to pass someone, and this was while sport mode was off ?

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
862 Posts
You don't have to be braking, nor completely stopped... You just need to be nearly stopped (~<1mph), with or without the brakes while pressing the Traction Control button for 3 seconds.

Pretty sure that's how it comes back on. But being at a stop while holding the brake turns it off even if the wheels spin.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,044 Posts
Pretty sure that's how it comes back on. But being at a stop while holding the brake turns it off even if the wheels spin.
No... Once TRAC and VSC are off, they don't come back on until engine is restarted. No need to brake or hold the brakes at all. You only need to be nearly stopped (~<1mph) while pressing button for 3 seconds until the TCS and STS are disactivated. TCS and STS amber warning lamps then remain on.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
216 Posts
There's not even a way to keep IMT enabled on the manauls. Stuck with the normal mode.
Seems pretty stupid to me that we have to enable iMT every time we start our car if we wanted to use it. All the stupid tech-bloat in these cars & it can't remember to stay on if it was set to on when car shut off? Stupid. Another worthless feature for advertising purposes.

Reactions: steve108

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems pretty stupid to me that we have to enable iMT every time we start our car if we wanted to use it. All the stupid tech-bloat in these cars & it can't remember to stay on if it was set to on when car shut off? Stupid. Another worthless feature for advertising purposes.
I've been looking for the toggle in the can bus, haven't found it there yet either. It isn't in techstream either.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
862 Posts
My previous ND MX5 Club could do two things pretty cool. Remember that cruise control was on and stay on at the next start. (so like if you stopped for a pee break on a road trip, you'd be able to resume the set speed with out resetting everything) The other thing it would do is allow you to turn off traction control even while driving flat out on the interstate. And it stayed off. Talk about signs of a good drivers car!

But Toyota is all about "safety" and "MPG" more than they are about making cars engaging to drive. SO what can you expect?

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do you enable and disable iMT manually ?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
216 Posts
How do you enable and disable iMT manually ?
The little iMT button in front of the 6-spd shifter, next to the traction control button. No light on the button, but a little icon lights up on upper screen display on dashboard when it is on. Unfortunetely, every time you turn your car off, the iMT turns off & has to be reselected again every time you start car if you want to use it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine does not have the iMT button in front of the shifter, it has a drive mode button in that position. From what I have seen today, iMT is activated only if you enable SPORT driving mode.

·
Registered
2019 TCHB XSE
12 Posts
iMT is the rev matching feature found only on the 6-speed equipped models. Sport/eco are the driving modes that can be selected on the cvt equipped models.

·
Registered
65 Posts
iMT is the rev matching feature found only on the 6-speed equipped models. Sport/eco are the driving modes that can be selected on the cvt equipped models.
Well, maybe that is true in US models but here in Europe our 6spd MT has a button that toggles drive modes between ECO, NORMAL and SPORT. iMT is only activated in SPORT mode.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Been driving my wife's 2020 SE HB CVT and really dislike the default CVT behavior. Besides the fact that the Corolla is fairly gutless to begin with, when not in "SPORT" the car pretty much disregards any throttle position below 75%, and I feel like only mashing the accelerator to 100% can I get the CVT to "wake up". In "SPORT" mode the CVT is much more linear and I really don't mind the low HP of the 2.0 engine.

So, I would hope there could be a way to make "SPORT" the default mode.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts