Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My o/d switch stopped working a while back... when i depress the o/d button it doesn't stay in to activate o/d. I was thinking tho, since the o/d button... like any other switch ... is just closing a circuit... then if I were to cut the two wires right at the switch and just tie them together... the o/d should engage .... right?

I went cross country recently and without the o/d on those long roads.... it was not a very nice experience ...

what's even more strange... when i was in D in third gear ... once it reached 3000rpm .. the car started missing... wouldn't go further no matter how much more throttle i gave it... BUT... if i accelerated in L or 2 ... it went straight to redline smoothly and with all power....

Sorry for grouping the issues... but can anyone help me with these... i have to make another trip out of town soon and i would like to have the problem corrected before i have to go again.

Thanks

Stanno

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
What year and model transmission? What's the o/d light doing when you move the switch? Do you hear the solenoid click when you move the switch? I doubt it's the o/d switch unless you constantly turn it on and off. It's not a usual wear item.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What year and model transmission? What's the o/d light doing when you move the switch? Do you hear the solenoid click when you move the switch? I doubt it's the o/d switch unless you constantly turn it on and off. It's not a usual wear item.

The o/d itself is working fine. It's just that, one day i took the switch out to remove the gear selection lever, and out of curiosity, took it (the o/d switch) apart. Since then, whenever i depress it to engage o/d, it doesn't stick in the on position.

So, whenever i need o/d, i have to press and hold the switch on the gear lever, which totally sucks. Just wanna know if there's a simple way to bypass the switch and have o/d on, all the time.

It's 1990 JDM A140E tranny.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Have you tried duct tape? You might take the switch apart again and see if there's an easy fix. Cutting and splicing wires would probably work but would be my last choice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried duct tape? You might take the switch apart again and see if there's an easy fix. Cutting and splicing wires would probably work but would be my last choice.
Actually, duct tape was my wife's suggestion, but that's the last thing i want to "tacky up" my car's clean interior.

Since then tho, i've taken the switch apart a dozen times and can't see what happened, guess it's just spoiled.

I tried removing the two wires that go to the switch and removing the connection ends, and just tying the two wires together, thinking that would close the circuit. But i tested it out on a long straight and O/D didn't engage. Is there something i didn't do right?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
" when i was in D in third gear ... once it reached 3000rpm .. the car started missing... wouldn't go further no matter how much more throttle i gave it... BUT... if i accelerated in L or 2 ... it went straight to redline smoothly and with all power."
That means the trans didn't shift into O/D. It may not be your o/d switch but another problem. I'll have to look at it because the A140 had different electrical iterations in the 1990's.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
" when i was in D in third gear ... once it reached 3000rpm .. the car started missing... wouldn't go further no matter how much more throttle i gave it... BUT... if i accelerated in L or 2 ... it went straight to redline smoothly and with all power."
That means the trans didn't shift into O/D. It may not be your o/d switch but another problem. I'll have to look at it because the A140 had different electrical iterations in the 1990's.
I had solved the missing mystery. It was oil in cylinder# 1 fouling my plug. Those nuts that hold the valve cover down were real loose (esp on cyl#1), so i tightened it up and changed the plugs, haven't noticed it again.

Now when i get on a straight in 3rd, the engine revs past the shift point and continues to redline.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
That's good news as long as it shifted into o/d. Reviewing your trans it appears some inputs changed in 1991. So now the only problem is the o/d switch won't stay in?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good news as long as it shifted into o/d. Reviewing your trans it appears some inputs changed in 1991. So now the only problem is the o/d switch won't stay in?
Well! Not the only problem. It doesn't hold the gears like when i'm overtaking someone, it always upshifts at the same point even when i have it floored, which sucks cuz i really have no power to pass anyone cuz of it.

I had talked to Charlie, and he recommended i drain about a quart from the tranny and test it again, cuz it might've been overfilled.

But the o/d problem is annoying when i have to go out of town to the country on those straight roads.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So connecting the two wires SHOULD have o/d engaged all the time; Right? Cuz that's what the switch was basically doing, closing the circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts