Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings -

I am having problems with the white paint on my 2014 Camry SE and am here to research and perhaps gain insight on the problem.

Over the last few years, the exterior paint(Super White) has been getting progressively dull. I believe the paint has completely lost the clear coat and is wearing away. I do not use harsh or abrasive cleaners on my car and the clear coat on my other vehicles is fine. I had considered getting it repainted then received a mailed notice from Toyota of a potential paint issue affecting my model/paint. It stated that Toyota is aware of a bonding problem with the paint and a resolution is forthcoming. I am glad I held back on getting it painted for now. If it is a paint chemistry problem, that could mean that anything applied might not last due to the underlying substrate failing. Does that mean the paint needs to be removed down to the primer first??

I contacted the Toyota Customer Experience Center and was provided a case #. I also visited the dealer that sold me the Camry. Neither could provide further details other than to just wait.

In searching the web, I've come across similar paint issues with other Toyota/Lexus models but not their remedy.

Wondering if this is a common problem with '14 White Camrys and what more can/has been done.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My apologies - just noticed I posted above in the wrong Forum. Appreciate Admin moving to correct forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never heard of any Toyota paint problems so doubt it it's from the factory. Not sure if you bought the car used, the factory warranty is done and you are probably on your own.
Having said that, first of all please make sure the car has not been in an accident hence the paint issues. First of all, get a CarFax on the car by going to carfax.com and enter your vin number. It would cost you around $20 but will tell you if any accidents or not
Second, not all accidents show up on carfax. The best way is to go find a body shop that has a paint meter and get the paint thickness checked on your car. Normally the factory paint is 4-5 mm thick and any thing thicker means the car has had paint work and in that case you can take it up with the selling dealer for not revealing the accident/paint work to you at the time of the sale.
Yes the dang dealers ALWAYS know if the car has had paint work or not, one this is all they do day in and day out and they always have the paint meters.
what's your location?
Hope this helps.

·
756 Posts
My '14 SE in super white did the same thing, but primarily on the front and rear bumper covers.
I bought it brand new so no accidents. Over 2-3 years the front and rear covers looked as you described, very dull and would not polish out.
I also had a tremendous amount of pitting and chipping on the front bumper, the worse I've had in any car, ever.
I kept the car 5 years and put almost 75k miles on it and considered repainting the covers but found a buyer who didn't care.

The car I replaced it with had 23k miles on it and now has almost 50k with very minimal chipping, driving the same route daily.

Good luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think your best course of action is to wait for a response from Toyota. They sent you a letter acknowledging there is a problem and opened up a case number. It could be a paint issue, it could be a limited run that didn't go through the proper sequence of paints; maybe the correct amount of clear coat was not applied. Who knows? Luckily it looks like they are trying to find a solution.

I would make sure there is a good coat of wax on the car. And contact Toyota every few weeks asking if there has been any resolution.

·
2013 LE
240 Posts
I got that same letter and it specifically stated that plastic parts were not covered by this Super White paint issue. My car lives in a garage so it's not exhibiting the symptoms described. But there is no time limit so I filed it with my other Camry paperwork. I do keep it waxed so we'll wait and see.

·
Registered
431 Posts
i think toyota super white does not have a clear coat and a single stage paint. i had super white on an older rav4. i would wash and wax more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
bionictony
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing