Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
it has been toyota's policy for the last 20 years or so to have alternative sources and suppliers for every single component that they need to build their cars:

delphi's failure means jacksh!t to toyota

i still dont know why at all they have to buy from delphi when denso is so much better!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they may have other suppliers but how many of those suppliers are tooled and ready to start production or increase production by a large number at the drop of a hat. If they are not tooled and ready to start production immediately then there would be some sort of slow down for Toyota and every other manufacturer I am sure. JUst like Toyota uses them I am sure that, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan and others use them to some extent. MOst of thsoe manufacturers oare not nearly as dependant on Dlephi as GM but nevertheless they could potentially see some kind of slowdown.

As for why they use companies besides Denso I agree, Denso makes very good stuff. When I worked for Toyota we replaced so many damn Delphi, well actually it was still called Delco then, alternators and radios it was ridiculous. Everytime we put a replacement in though it was either Denso for the alternator or Fujitsu for the radio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the other strategy that toyota would follow is ramp up japanese production all out and export every single car they make to NA even if it means sacrificing (temporarily) domestic market share!

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
ricers-shaft-b3 said:
the other strategy that toyota would follow is ramp up japanese production all out and export every single car they make to NA even if it means sacrificing (temporarily) domestic market share!
Good idea.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A Delphi strike would hurt GM much more than it would hurt Toyota.

If a strike was to occur, sure Toyota would be affected, bu not to any great degree.

GM would lose over a billion dollars a week if Delphi were to go on strike, and with these kind of numbers, GM's cash on hand would drop like a rock.

It's a temporary setback for Toyota, if Delphi goes on strike. It's an almost lethal death-blow to GM if Delphi goes on strike, and would almost guarantee GM filing for Chapter 11.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THe article made it very clear taht this would not be nearly as detrimental to Toyota as it would for GM.

IT also stated that it would be even worse for Delphi in the long run. Because the relationship they do have with Toyota right now would be damaged.

SOmetimes I wonder if people read the articles before they post or if they jsut read what everyone else has said.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
I am trying to read the article..but it's all f'ed up...every paragraph is repeated like 6 times!

·
There is no substitute.
8,031 Posts
BenG said:
I am trying to read the article..but it's all f'ed up...every paragraph is repeated like 6 times!
Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one that thinks this guy needs to go to rehab.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BenG said:

not sure what happened to the article. It wasnt like taht yesterday when I saw it and posted it. I jsut went a looked at it and can see that it would be a PITA to read.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Cyorke said:
THe article made it very clear taht this would not be nearly as detrimental to Toyota as it would for GM.

IT also stated that it would be even worse for Delphi in the long run. Because the relationship they do have with Toyota right now would be damaged.

SOmetimes I wonder if people read the articles before they post or if they jsut read what everyone else has said.
I wonder if you read the title of the article then, because the title itself contradicts with the actual article.

The article implies that Toyota may see trouble with a Delphi strike, yet at the same time the article states the strike won't be that bad for Toyota.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I jsut posted the damn article. You can take it or leave it. I cant help it if the guy who wrote may be an idiot. THis is the Toyota news section and I considered this Toyota News.

Why does everyone complain about shit like this. It is not like it is the end of the world for Toyota. He makes two points that if they were to strike Toyota could see a slow down, but in the end it may be worse for Delphi because it could harm relations between Toyota and Delphi in the future when Delphi wants more of Toyota's business. The reason it will not be that bad for Toyota is because they have much better relationships with their suppliers and they do not rely on Delphi to basically supply their entire car like GM does. But in the short term yes Toyota could be hurt on a temporary basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts