Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to track down (or figure out how to eliminate) what might be causing this clunk in the front end on my 2002 V8 2WD.

I can feel the clunk with a foot that's on the floorboard when it happens. It feels like it's right under the driver (left side) floorboard. Does not seem to be shock related, and the shocks are all new anyway.

The clunk has been happening for a while but is starting to get to the point it is consistently happening.

Primarily I notice it when turning and some times when turning and going over bumps. The roads here are rough and going in a straight line usually doesn't cause it. Turning and bumps does seem to cause it.

It is just one "clunk" and then gone until whenever it comes back again so it's not doing it every second, rotation, etc. but it does happen regularly when driving.

Any ideas where to check? Importing parts is expensive (parts have to be sent to a freight forwarder, imported, 60% import tax, then sent on a boat to our island) so I'm trying to eliminate too many shipments and also I don't want to order unnecessary parts.

Would the body bushing under the floorboard cause this? As I mentioned I can feel it around that area with my foot on the floorboard but I also feel it in the steering some times.

Everything seems tight - tie rods, etc. There is a little play in the steering rack bushing, but not a ton. Maybe 1/8" or so.

It does not seem to affect turning or other driving, it's just the sound and it's starting to irritate me.

Ideas?

Thanks!

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
Check the bushings for the sway bar and the sway bar links.

·
5,869 Posts
On a 2nd thought, bumps = sway bar bushings. but that's say speed bump wheel straight.
Turning and getting say into a dip in the road = ISS. It's when it has splines binding and up/down movement same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same size that I don't with for several years when I first got my truck eventually found out after many visits to the different dealerships it was three of the four bolts missing from my transmission mount when they were replaced I never heard the clunk again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
BamZipPow
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing