Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Camry XLE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just installed my Dice interface device in my 04 Camry with factory Nav. It worked beautifully with both the iPod devices and my analog MP3 player (i.e. Motorolla phone). The best feature about this unit over the USA-Spec unit I installed in the 03 Sienna, is the ability to increase the input gain on the analog input. This feature makes my MP3 phone sound as good as a quality iPod. In contrast, the USA Spec device sounds kind of hollow when playing through the analog input because most MP3 players (and satellite radios) only put out enough voltage to drive headphones and as a result, are too "soft" to effectively reproduce the full range of audio. Long and short, I REALLY don't want to return the DICE module and buy a USA Spec...

This afternoon, I was enjoying tunes played from my phone via the AUX input. This evening when I got into the car to go home from work, I tried to play the phone again through the AUX input, but there was no sound. When I turned the AUX input gain to nearly max (about 90), and the Nav unit volume to the max, I could hear the music, but VERY faint. I unplugged the phone just to make sure it was putting out the proper signal level and it played through the phone speaker and earbud set just fine. When I got home, I tried the iPod device and had the same results -- VERY faint sound. AM, FM and CD work fine. Just the SAT1/SAT2/SAT3, which the Dice module emulates, exhibits this problem. I bought it less than three weeks ago and I'm considering returning it for a refund and buying the USA-Spec device instead (at least it will play iPod reliably, even though it doesn't do analog very well). Any recommendations I should try first, though?

·
Registered
2004 Camry XLE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I spoke with the retailer who sold my the module and he tested it, contacted DICE Support and they concluded they should try a new unit (possibly a firmware problem?). They are supposed to be shipping out a new unit today to the retailer who will call me when it arrives. I'll post results as it unfolds. Hopefully it's the DICE module that broke and that the DICE module didn't take the head unit with it. We'll soon find out. Unfortunately, the USA Spec device I have in the other car is the PA-12-TOY which is not supposed to be compatible with the Nav head unit (needs PA-15-TOY instead) so I can't swap them; although it might be interesting to see if the DICE works in the other car. I can't blame it on Apple because I had only been using the Analog input from my cell phone/MP3 player (my kids have all the iPods -- The iTouch it's on my Father's Day wish list)

UPDATE: Replacement module arrived, presumably with some upgrade and has worked perfectly! Sounds great, easy to use. Now I only wish I could have purchased the new product with the XM and HD Radio features...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts