Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my timing belt on my 2004 Solara with the 3MZFE V6 engine. Before removing the belt, I positioned the crank 60 degrees BTDC like I was supposed to. When I went to put the new belt on, I had a little trouble getting the belt on the rear sprocket. It actually slipped off the spanner wrench a few times while I wrestled with it. This happened with the crank rotated to TDC as it's supposed to be.

Now I'm freaking out that maybe I bent a valve or two just a little, but enough to damage my engine in the future. It starts up fine, but I'm really concerned about this. What are my chances that everything will be fine for another 100k? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,739 Posts
If you have it running with no apparent issues or codes I doubt you bent any valves. If anything you may have shorten a valve stems life. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree with @sdspeed. From everything I've heard over time about timing belts snapping or being installed improperly, it's big trouble right out of the shoot if anything is wrong.

By the way, how hellish was this job? I'm only at 75K on my '04 Solara with the 3.3 V6. Though I doubt I'll even consider doing this job myself I'm always interested in learning more about the process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I guess I'll know in the coming weeks/months how it holds out and plan to update this post. The job isn't that bad if you have the right tools and a lot of patience. The hardest part for me was getting the timing belt back on right. There is a trick to it and having another person to help hold it at the crank while you work it around, lining up the marks. It's the rear that you have to rotate under the valve tension to get the rear mark lined up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Google the engine if it is not a zero tolerance engine you are fine. ZERO tolerance means valves can hit pistons, many today are not so if belt does break no matter position piston can not hit a open valve. If this motor is a ZERO tolerance you may be in a mess, if engine is NON ZERO tolerance you are safe. As belts are so common today most are NON ZERO tolerance cause belts break with no warning, most zero tolerance engines are chain driven as you hear them make a lot of noise usually before they break.,

·
Mechanic by Necessity!
59 Posts
If the belt is off even a tooth, you are going to know it right off the bat when running it. Even if it wasn't off enough for the piston to hit a valve, it will run terribly. Cheers!

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
743 Posts
I've gone round on TN about whether the 3.3 is an interference engine or not. Consensus is No.
(My 05 solara has about 80k, probably have mine done this Spring)

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,871 Posts
The 3.3 is an interference. Although it seems if the belt slips or snaps, you roll dice if you have valve damage. In this case, I believe you are fine as the engine wasn't running when it went out of time. For specifically the 3.3L, if there is valve damage from timing belt slipping or the like, usually you'll get a CEL for misfire, but the engine still does run. It's not like some other motors where you get catastrophic damage where you won't get enough compression to run. @insightbrewery; can fill in more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Best way then is a compression and leak down test on all cylinders to be sure valves are seating properly and pistons not damaged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yesterday I started it and ran it for a few minutes after getting antifreeze. The check engine light's on now and a P0016 code came up which basically says the timing is off. It runs ok, but not 100%. Also, when I hit the gas a little, there's a lag that wasn't there before. I'll verify the timing marks tonight. I haven't driven it or had it get up to temperature yet. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hopefully you are one tooth off on belt and can get it lined up with no damage done, good luck and post back when you know, I am curious now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rear cam sprocket was off one tooth! I put it back on and verified the marks to be good! I ran it a few minutes and it seems like it's fine now. I'll post back if I have any more problems in regards to valve issues. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts