Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just got my 02 toyota corolla back from NTB (a tire/brake big chain shop) . the problem with my car was the interior brake sign came up. so i brought it there for a check up. they told me that it will be 750.00 to fix it . not including alignment. that will be another 100.00 or so. that price seems kind of high for just fixing up the brakes. i ask them what is being done to the brakes? he said that they will replace the front brake pads. maybe calipers for the front . they recommend that the fron 2 rotors be change because they said it scrapes. then the last thing will be to change the shoes of the rear brakes. just those 3 things. my corolla is from 2002. does this seem fair in price or am i getting ripped off big time?:confused: please help! i need to know.:ugh3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
coltsfan21 said:
hi i just got my 02 toyota corolla back from NTB (a tire/brake big chain shop) . the problem with my car was the interior brake sign came up. so i brought it there for a check up. they told me that it will be 750.00 to fix it .
I don't know how they can quote a price with 'maybe' calipers? Calipers are usually the most expensive parts.

I looked up f pads & r shoes for my 02 Prizm and it was cheap maybe $75 for all 4. Rotors are usually ~100 each. If your just doing those three, you looking at less than $300 with Toyota Parts (most place use less expensive replacements) Brakes should take less than 3 hours to do, probably closer to 2 hours, so labor should be in the $120-180 range (assuming $60/hr). If that all they are doing then your getting poked.

Getting back to original problem, the brake light. The brakes light comes on with the parking brake or low brake fluid. You could add fluid and see if it goes away, but you will need to diagnose why its low. It could be because the pads are worn or fluid leak (bad). If something is leaking it probably a caliper/wheel cylinder (drums), the line probably aren't rusty in a 2002.

I am also wondering how the determine that you may need calipers, did seem like they were leaking (ie wet), did they pull them and check to see if the pistons are sticking?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,403 Posts
As Dgoodhoe states, the light could mean anything, a small problem or large. When was the last brake job (mileage wise)? It does seem strange (well maybe not) that the shop would go full bore here. How about finding what the problem is before quoting a price. As in low or leaking brake fluid (and where), worn out front pads (you can see these yourself), bad rotors, or something else. Not sure why new brakes require an alignment.

Is there a Les Schwab in your area, they have always been up front and honest when I deal with them. Might get a second opinion.
 

·
Registered
93 honda del sol si
Joined
·
53 Posts
def get a second oppion. i mean for around 1000 bucks you could prolly get a wilwood or brembo brake upgrade. def sounds shady to me. and theres no reason for a front aliment on a brake job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toyomoho said:
As Dgoodhoe states, the light could mean anything, a small problem or large. When was the last brake job (mileage wise)? It does seem strange (well maybe not) that the shop would go full bore here. How about finding what the problem is before quoting a price. As in low or leaking brake fluid (and where), worn out front pads (you can see these yourself), bad rotors, or something else. Not sure why new brakes require an alignment.

Is there a Les Schwab in your area, they have always been up front and honest when I deal with them. Might get a second opinion.
no theres no les schwab here,i wish there was. but im picking the car up the following day at NTB (chain shop name). i will keep you guys updated. i believe the price was for the 2 front calipers, 2 front rotors, front brake pads,and the shoes in the back brakes. :disappoin the car was at 62,000 miles so far. i dont believe anything was leaking at all. i will get the exact details.
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,666 Posts
Wow.. $750 for brake fluid.. the brake light staying ON usually means low on brake fluid. :ugh3: :ugh3: :disappoin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
yeah for $750 you could get some slotted/drilled rotors & pads. Get the rear brake shoes, fluid and a c-clamp and do the job your self and still have money left over
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
darcsyde said:
yeah for $750 you could get some slotted/drilled rotors & pads. Get the rear brake shoes, fluid and a c-clamp and do the job your self and still have money left over
thats for damn sure..
 

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
Joined
·
9,552 Posts
Wow.. $750 for brake fluid.. the brake light staying ON usually means low on brake fluid.
Which means usually your pads/shoes have worn out. Thus its low on fluid. Or then its leaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
Just a heads up. We have an NTB down the road from us and we have had more than a few people that got outrageous quotes from them. One was a 4 year old ford escape with 28K miles on it. NTB told them it needed front and rear brake pads, front brake hoses, front calipers, and rotors. The quote was somewhere in the 900-$1000 range. All it really needed was front brake pads. Customers get sucked in by theyre "free inspection, or free tire rotation" and then get hammered with a laundry list of stuff they dont need. At least 4 customers came to us after getting theyre NTB estimatelast year, which makes me wonder how many people actually got the work done there. Beware of any place that offers anything for "free", and if you get an outrageous estimate take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. Its those types of chain stores give the repair industry a bad reputation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
My guess is the mechanics there work on commission .They wouldn't get much commission on just replacing the pads/shoes which is all it probably needed. To get a bigger cut they add on calipers/rotors and any other pricey items and the labor involved to do it to get a fatter paycheck. Most folks probably don't know any better and agree to the work and get their wallet emptied out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
90 GP said:
My guess is the mechanics there work on commission .They wouldn't get much commission on just replacing the pads/shoes which is all it probably needed. To get a bigger cut they add on calipers/rotors and any other pricey items and the labor involved to do it to get a fatter paycheck. Most folks probably don't know any better and agree to the work and get their wallet emptied out.
NTB is a chain tire & wheel shop, they are some how related to Sears. At least from my expereince, the Jiffy Lube graduates work at NTB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ShawnM said:
Just a heads up. We have an NTB down the road from us and we have had more than a few people that got outrageous quotes from them. One was a 4 year old ford escape with 28K miles on it. NTB told them it needed front and rear brake pads, front brake hoses, front calipers, and rotors. The quote was somewhere in the 900-$1000 range. All it really needed was front brake pads. Customers get sucked in by theyre "free inspection, or free tire rotation" and then get hammered with a laundry list of stuff they dont need. At least 4 customers came to us after getting theyre NTB estimatelast year, which makes me wonder how many people actually got the work done there. Beware of any place that offers anything for "free", and if you get an outrageous estimate take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. Its those types of chain stores give the repair industry a bad reputation.

guess what ? i picked up my car today and you nailed it right on. their were things that they never even told me that they were going to do. i drilled them about why i need these things done and they were going around the question as " if you dont get them done now then in another year you will most likely pay double to do it , when things get worse. they even added another 100.00 for alignment , on top of the 750.00 . i said that i never wanted a alignment? they said your car needed it. then they started to show me this stupid paper. when i looked at the paper there where so many useless things that was done which i didnt need at all. they also gave me the premium packages for everything, and did not change my calipers either. all of the useless things were not told to me before the car was done. i was told that the rear shoes, brake pads and rotors needed to be change . thats it. the other stupid stuff was like washing parts of the brakes 90.00, there were alot more. the list i recieved today is so much crap that i will not waste my time to type it up. but yeah from now on i will go earlier and get at least 2 quotes first. as stated above stay away from these scammers.:thumbdown
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
coltsfan21 said:
guess what ? i picked up my car today and you nailed it right on. their were things that they never even told me that they were going to do. i drilled them about why i need these things done and they were going around the question as " if you dont get them done now then in another year you will most likely pay double to do it , when things get worse. they even added another 100.00 for alignment , on top of the 750.00 . i said that i never wanted a alignment? they said your car needed it. then they started to show me this stupid paper. when i looked at the paper there where so many useless things that was done which i didnt need at all. they also gave me the premium packages for everything, and did not change my calipers either. all of the useless things were not told to me before the car was done. i was told that the rear shoes, brake pads and rotors needed to be change . thats it. the other stupid stuff was like washing parts of the brakes 90.00, there were alot more. the list i recieved today is so much crap that i will not waste my time to type it up. but yeah from now on i will go earlier and get at least 2 quotes first. as stated above stay away from these scammers.:thumbdown
Did they charge you for the Vaseline they used?

Post up what they charged you for. $90 for brakes cleaning is BS. Part that may fail in year, wft part are those if they didn't replace the calipers? We can help you with what is reasonable and what isn't. I would go back in a calm organized manner and ask to speak to the store manager. If that doesn't work NTB is a corporate chain. The key is you need to know what is BS and what it not.
 

·
Registered
03' Matrix XRS 6sp
Joined
·
109 Posts
A little late now but your problem may have been as simple as an adjustment to the parking brake switch.

Always try the simple fixes first.
 

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
It might seem useless but, I suggest you contact your local better Business Bureau, and maybe a local news station. One of our local TV stations goes after guys like this really hard.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top