Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Corolla LE - Celestite (1K3) / Black (FB20)
174 Posts
So I went to my local AAP store and bought Silglyde, boots, bushings, and caliper pins. Just ran out of time today so I couldn’t install anything. May not be able to get to it for a week. I should be ok until then correct?
It will be fine for that small of an amount of time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Other than cleaning out the bore as suggested earlier, is there anything i need to do to properly install the bushings and boots? How much silicone grease should I use?

Thanks again. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate it!

·
Registered
09 V6 Highlander AWD , 15 Corolla LE
245 Posts
Other than cleaning out the bore as suggested earlier, is there anything i need to do to properly install the bushings and boots? How much silicone grease should I use?

Thanks again. Everyone has been very helpful and I appreciate it!
Just clean and use a small amount of grease...if you use to much, the pins will want to come out on their own…..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just clean and use a small amount of grease...if you use to much, the pins will want to come out on their own…..
(Cleaning the slide pin holes)
(Hardware preparation)
(Caliper slide pin lubrication)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I would think 'emery paper' would be too abrasive. (I would think using a fine grit metal sandpaper would be used instead of what was in the video) Shouldn't the bore be smooth?

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can probably use brass gun cleaning brushes. I am sure a 9 or 40 SW brush would be sufficient.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Especially in the rust belt, you should be cleaning and lubricating your brakes every 30k/36 months. I would also suggest you coat your hubs with Anti-Sieze and Fluid Film or something similar. No, this isn't in the manual, but it is a good rule of thumb.

I would at a minimum remove the slide pins and clean and lubricate them. You might want to do this every spring.
+1 on coating the hubs with Fluid Film. In two of my vehicles (not Toyotas) rusting/ corrosion can 'weld' the wheel to the hub making it damn near impossible to remove the wheel. You would not believe how I struggled to get wheels off - you would swear they were welded in place....A cheap/dirty approach is to coat the hub & inside of the wheel where it bolts up to the hug with NeverSieze...

·
イリジウム
14,000 Posts
Yes, as well as some paper towel on a screwdriver carefully. Because of the grease (or what little of it left) and the boot, the bore should be fairly clean?

A light coat of grease is sufficient. You don't have to plaster the thing. The boot might wipe some of it off inserting the pin, so you can use a screwdriver to coat the bore a little.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
One more noob question (actually 2). The old pads had a shim and an outer plate (that was in direct contact with the caliper piston). A)Even though the new pads came with shims, do I use that outer plate? B)Should I put a thin layer of Silicone grease on that plate(if i am supposed to re-use it) or on the shim (or both?)

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,212 Posts
That plate is for OEM pads. Keep those plates.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes, reuse the stainless Toyota shims. I place brake grease on the back of the pad (between the shim and pad) and then on the caliper ears and plunger/cylinder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, reuse the stainless Toyota shims. I place brake grease on the back of the pad (between the shim and pad) and then on the caliper ears and plunger/cylinder.
The pads I used have the shim permanently attached to them. Cannot put grease there. You put grease on the caliper plunger lip, correct?

·
Registered
174 Posts

Yes, I put grease on the caliper piston lip. Some people don't do this, but it is a point of contact.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts