Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did my first oil change on my 08 Sequoia 4x4. What an epic failure in design by Toyota. Given all the engineering they have put into the truck, I was appalled by the lack of thought on this. I read the posts here about how to do it and was prepared (I thought). So here's my story.

Dropped the skid plate which by itself was not a big deal. The worst part is if you don't have a lift, you are working with about 1-2inches of space between your forehead and you are working blind on the bolts. My socket jumped off my extension 3 times and I to go fishing for it, but that's tolerable.

Drain the oil. Ok, so I find the drain plug and position the pan. What I had no idea was that the oil pan is apparently more vertical than horizonal, so when you drop the plug, the oil comes out basically under pressure. Even with a drip pan and an oil pan in position, I lost about a 1/2 quart to the floor and wheel and tire, all of it splash damage. Lousy design.

Filter drain plug: Easy to remove, but the filter drain tool is useless. By the time I had secured it into the filter canister, I had both hands covered in oil and yes, I used a drain tube. Then, after it was drained, I needed a pair of pliers to pull it back off. Nice one Toyota.

Oil Filter. Thank goodness for some pics on these boards or I"m not sure I would have found it. It's about 2-3 feet away from the drainplug in front of the differential. The abs plastic cap does not play well with filter wrenches and I can see it being rounded off over time which will create a real issue. After several slips, I managed to get it off. It took a lot of upward pressure to keep it from slipping. I am still totally amazed that Toyota didn't put a spin on filter. How can 2 extra pieces (filter cap, filter plug) be cheaper than designing 1 part that accepts a screw on filter?

So, I get everything off, out, and plugged again, refill it and begin to deal with the skid plate. Again, if you have a lift, probably not a big deal. If not, you're going to be laying on your back, arms over your head trying to put 2 little hooks into 2 small holes while holding a 25lb skid plate with no line of sight assistance.

Total time to do the job the first time including clean up. 2 hours, 21 minutes. I could probably do it again in 1.5.

As a comparison, did my wife's Ford Edge right after. No spills, total time, 18 minutes.

If you are thinking of doing you oil yourself, be prepared, it is one of the worst designs for DIY oil changes I have ever seen. Next time I think I will actually let the dealer do it and I haven't paid for an oil change in the last 22 years. Think long & hard on this one before attempting. It's not hard, but it is just super tedious and a royal PITA.

Wow, epic failure on design here Toyota. Also noticed, some of the cross members and frame components weren't nearly as beefy as my Expedition was. Here's to hoping that engineering overtakes brute strength on the frame.

Still like the truck though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow! i couldnt do the first oil change on mine because im on the other side of the world, but i told the wife to take it in, she said it cost $40 - $60 or so. i think i'll just continue doing that. i would have lost it if i spent 2.5 hours changing oil.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I said, I haven't paid for an oil change in 22 years and have changed oil on a lot of different vehicles. Previously, I thought a 76 Triumph TR7 with 4" of ground clearance was the worst. I was wrong.

From a skill standpoint, it's not that hard, it's just a very poorly thought out design. Hate to say it, but if you paid 40-60 at a dealership including oil, you probably did ok when you factor the time.

Now, if I had a lift and could be standing upright with a drain pit, Probably 30 mins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
previously, i thought the lincoln continental was the worst because you had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right to move the linkages out of the way so you could get to the oil filter. that was back when i used to be a mechanik. i dont have a lift, but when i get home i'll have to do the next oil change just to make sure that this is indeed the worst. i usually enjoy doing my own oil changes because i dont like the oil's that most companies have, and they charge an arm and a leg if they do happen to have what i want.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I haven't attempted mine yet. I didn't want the first time to be in the dead of winter when conditions aren't favorable to taking my time and working through it.

I have an '09 Corolla with the cartridge filter and I had a '90 4Runner with a skid plate that had to come off for oil changes. Sounds like I have the worst of both of these to look forward to.

I hadn't heard before about the oil flow from the drain plug. One thing to consider to make that a little less messy would be an oil drain valve, specifically one with the nipple for a hose so the flow can be directed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts