Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
It's pronounced "Nesquik"
1992 Camry LE
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This time at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.

This course was pretty tough, the pavement had a lot of gravel, and I actually ended up spinning out a few times, but managed some nice tailslides as well. Nonetheless I ended up getting better times than my friends from DMC, one who drives a BMW E30 and the other who drives a Corvette Z06 xD

Here's a link to the video of my four runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omvc1PVP4gE&feature=channel_page

And here's a nice picture:

·
RU2CHKN?
94 Camry LE
611 Posts
^same here I hear autocross is the new crack! Lol :lol:

·
slpr1mz FTW :-)
a family car
309 Posts
anybody know any local autocross in OC area ?
it is a bit of a drive depending where in the oc you live,
but riverside has a go-kart track which they have drift and auto-x night...
the drifting is pretty sick, and i haven't seen an auto-x yet, but there should
be one tonight, i'll try and make it and share the info...

it's just west of the 91/60/215 freeway interchange next to the santa ana river bed

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
Good to see some Camry's getting their legs stretched out once in a while. :p

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Nice vid, but your friend in the Z06 needs to be shot. Did you lift when your tail got loose instead of hammering the gas?

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
Looks like it was fun. Just curious, but how's your suspension holding up with the cut springs? What kind of differences did you notice before and after cutting them? Figured I'd ask since you have some experience in autoXing. Nice vid BTW :thumbsup:.

anybody know any local autocross in OC area ?
Don't know of any around the OC area, but there are some held around the Irvine area. I have a few Camry guys that would be interested in going.

·
455 Posts
Very nice dude, good video. How long have you been autoXing? Your friend with the z06, was that his first time?

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
your car seems to understeer alot or the tires just giving up too easily....keep practicing though, looks like you had fun

·
It's pronounced "Nesquik"
1992 Camry LE
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's kind of hard to say what the effects of the cut springs are since this surface is different from my first one with the original setup. One thing I think I can infer though is that since my car has a super-rake stance (front sits relatively lower than the rear)now, it made it easier for the rear to pick up off the ground with lift-off throttle or heavy braking. The rake stance doesn't look as crazy in the pictures because I usually carry quite a bit of gear in the trunk, but when you take all that stuff out (because you have to for AutoX), the rear sits extremely high. Another thing to take into account is that I have the TRD RSB set to the "track" setting, which makes the tail more likely to slide out. I was also running lower tire pressure on the front tires compared to the rear tires in an attempt to prevent understeer while accelerating and cornering, and apparently it worked a little too well, heh.

My first spin out (see 2nd run) was, without question, a result of heavy braking while turning. Since the car's center of gravity had been shifted to the front while I was tuning, it drastically increased the amount of grip to the front tires, while decreasing the rear tire's grip to the road, resulting in the spin out.

The second spin out happened as a result of snap-back oversteer (drift terminology). Initially the tail started coming out as I was turning right because I was lifting off (not always good), and in an attempt to recover I mashed on the gas while countersteering, and that resulted in the car's sudden snap to the right. I assume if I had returned to 0 degree steering (straight), the car wouldn't have snapped out of control as drastically. Also, despite being automatic, the car actually stalled since I was rolling backwards, so for all you curious kids out there, that's what happens when you're going in a certain direction in the wrong gear.

In the portions where you can see tailslide/oversteer and me actually managing to recover from them, that was me getting off the gas (lift-off). My buddies from DMC have also told me that I should be mashing on the gas rather than lifting off to recover from tailslides. There were a few times when I remembered what they told me, but the times when I seem to come to a dead stop were obviously the times when I forgot, heh. My tendency to lift-off while oversteering is really a result of me always drifting in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue with a steering wheel in FR cars, and when it comes to RWD cars, lift-off while drifting helps to regain rear-wheel grip, and therefore recovery from a drift. I guess that means I should start driving more FF cars in that game for the sake of better reflexive action in the event of oversteer lol.

The next event I'm planning on going to is in Oakland, the same place where I went the first time. I think that time around I'll be able to get more conclusive data in terms of the car's performance with the cut springs. Given my experiences this past weekend, however, I can conclude that the car oversteers much easier, but only because there's a higher ride height in the rear in comparison to the front. I think if I lowered the rear as well, or set the RSB to "street", this problem would go away, but I'm still debating (very heavily, I assure you) if I want to cut the rear springs. I might just end up buying a whole new set of springs altogether, since the rear springs are progressive, and it's bad to cut progressive springs. However, if the bottom ring on the rear springs is as much of a dead coil as the ones on the front, then I might just go ahead and cut them as well. We'll see though.

As for the guy with the Z06, yeah, it was his first time, and his front tires were really worn out as well. He was complaining about a lot of understeer, even in low speeds, amazingly. He's already planning on getting new tires before the next event.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
it is a bit of a drive depending where in the oc you live,
but riverside has a go-kart track which they have drift and auto-x night...
the drifting is pretty sick, and i haven't seen an auto-x yet, but there should
be one tonight, i'll try and make it and share the info...

it's just west of the 91/60/215 freeway interchange next to the santa ana river bed
Thanks bro, what does it call ?

Don't know of any around the OC area, but there are some held around the Irvine area. I have a few Camry guys that would be interested in going.
Give me some names, set a date and i'm down for it.

·
Needs more TRD...
98/00 Camrys
220 Posts
Awesome..:clap:

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
im down also. as soon as i get my suspension in. :headbang:

and do you ever plan on coming down to SoCal to make runs? so you could run with the rest of us :thumbsup:

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
I'll let you know when those events come up. Also, there are some track days coming up soon at Streets of Willow. So would you be down for both autoX and the track?

im down also. as soon as i get my suspension in. :headbang:

and do you ever plan on coming down to SoCal to make runs? so you could run with the rest of us :thumbsup:
Still thinking about getting your K-Sports?

·
Togue superstar
00 Camry LE
670 Posts
^^ No, I've decided to go with a different setup...

Why you know someone selling K-Sports???

·
slpr1mz FTW :-)
a family car
309 Posts
Thanks bro, what does it call ?

i think it all's go-kart track or something like that...
so didn't go tonight :-/
in the mean time i installed a strut tower bar from the solora(OEM) and spaced my hood while doing that.
so i now have a little bit more agressive from the front,
and it handle's like a charm! :)
can't wait to do Auto-x for my self though!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts