Toyota Nation Forum banner

Did Tire Shop Ruin Shocks

1719 Views 44 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  galadar
Brought in car for four new tires. Car came back making strange rhythmic thumping sounds. No comments about shocks. Brought in a few days later to complain got car back and now sound is worse than ever. Was told all four shocks need to be replaced. Looked at them today. Boots are shredded on all 4 and oil is leaking up and down piston rod. Piston rod and parts previously covered by boot looks very clean as if damage was just done.

I
Musical instrument Automotive tire Wood Gas Idiophone
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2003 Camry LE 100k miles
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah Im seeing that the oil looks old. Whats weird is that there is no dirt on any of those parts that used to be covered by the rubber. The spring is filthy in comparison.
What makes me a little suspicious though is that car wasnt making any noise before the tire replacement and now is really loud. They also didnt mention that anything was wrong with the shocks until after I brought it back in for the noise. The sales guy also seemed annoyed for me not wanting the allignment he said all new tires needed. Car was driving fine and no uneven wear.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
It's making noise now because it was taken off the ground to install the new tires. Struts then expanded and moved just enough to get into a slightly other position.

· Registered
2010 Toyota Camry XLE
657 Posts
Yeah Im seeing that the oil looks old. Whats weird is that there is no dirt on any of those parts that used to be covered by the rubber. The spring is filthy in comparison.
Here are actual pictues of the struts on my Camry. As you can see, the dust boots are also ripped. Everything is covered in dirt, except for the strut rod itself. It may seem hard to believe, but it's not unusual.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Light Wood Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system

· Registered
2003 Camry LE 100k miles
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Im having the struts looked at by another shop on Saturday. The facts that still leave me suspicious are.
1) Got into an argument with the sales tech counter guy who wanted me to come back with an appointment even though his boss told me to bring the car in that day after I complained about the new tire noise. He was pissed his boss overruled him and this is what I suspect was the motive
2) The noise is now much different and 10 times worse than it what from my original complaint. Continuous vs intermittent and completely different sound.
3) Didnt capture it on the photos but at least two of the piston rods has gobs of clean fresh fluid stuck to its side.
4) If struts were already damaged before the tire change they would have noticed it, espcially all the gobs of leaking fluid. Why is it only after I complained about the tire noise that they now find that the struts are bad
5) The struts are about 80k miles old

Im not 100% wedded to the idea that I was screwed but again lets not pretend that shops dont ever do anything shady

· Registered
46 Posts
I had a 90 Celica that had sticky struts on the trunk lid. I told them to be careful and not force the trunk closed. Of course, they did and bent it.
Fought with them for weeks over it and they finally agreed to pay the bodywork bill. That was the last time a tire monkey touched my car.
Tire shops are a giant rip off. I buy all my tires online. Way Cheaper and safer for your car. I don't trust any of them.
I wish you the best of luck.

· Registered
146 Posts
New tires can accentuate existing problems.
Years ago I put new tires on my Dodge Dakota , drove it home and felt like the tires weren't balanced properly.
They rebalanced same thing turns out it was a ball joint.
I seriously doubt the tire shop ruined your struts.

· Registered
146 Posts
I had a 90 Celica that had sticky struts on the trunk lid. I told them to be careful and not force the trunk closed. Of course, they did and bent it.
Fought with them for weeks over it and they finally agreed to pay the bodywork bill. That was the last time a tire monkey touched my car.
Tire shops are a giant rip off. I buy all my tires online. Way Cheaper and safer for your car. I don't trust any of them.
I wish you the best of luck.
On the other hand if you find one you trust, use them if you need to.

· Long-haired Southern-Squidbillie
2004 Camry 2AZ engine; 2018 Camry LE
236 Posts
All suspension bushings, linkages and shocks should be inspected and replaced if worn before doing an alignment. Also the tire pressure should be measured and adjusted first too.

Why would you think that a tire tech who is busting beads and changing tires all day would take even half a second to notice anything about your suspension or shocks, and especially if you weren't paying for suspension service?

· Registered
46 Posts
On the other hand if you find one you trust, use them if you need to.
I have been driving for over 40 years and do all my own Maintenance. I have built and replaced several engines in my Cars and Trucks. All the tire Chains are in it for one thing and it isn't your Satisfaction.I've tried them all and it just leads to frustration.
Overtorqued lug nuts. Bad alignments, Trying to say I need ball joints when the truck has 20K. Putting tires on that are already 2 years old. Selling Defective tires. You Name it, They Tried it.
I usually save $200 to $400 per set buying online and putting them on myself.
With two cars and two trucks. I save some dough and stress.
Thanks, but No Thanks.

· Registered
2003 Camry LE 100k miles
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let’s say that the other shop finds “evidence” of intentional wrongdoing, what then?
a bridge to be crossed then but thinking out loud, consumer protections laws are very strong in my State and what's called a "93a" demand letter to the CEO usually gets results with minimal efforts. Its very easy for the company to not follow statutory requirements when responding and often lose by default subject to treble damages. If its really egregious a complaint to the AG could be done.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts