Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The US manual says to perform tire rotation front-to-back only, do not swap left-to-right, but it doesn't say why.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Diagram
However, Toyota TSB-0034-21 states that the tires are matched sets and warns if the tires are removed during Dealer PDI, they should be reinstalled in the same location and in same direction of rotation (to minimize pulling and drifting). >>>UPDATE: @joerocky III has the answer here.

Kind of weird considering that the Ecopia tires don't appear to be listed as unidirectional. Maybe it's just a Toyota thing I didn't know about since so many models are affected.

Just something to keep an eye on at your service intervals. (I just installed Michelin Cross Climate 2s and they are most definitely unidirectional.)

·
Registered
356 Posts
From Tirerack: "Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth. Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail."

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From Tirerack: "Using "matched" tires means all four tires are the same brand, design and tread depth. Mixing tire brands, tread designs and tread depths may cause components in the vehicle's driveline to fail."
Awesome, that makes more sense. --Thanks

I wonder why the Dealer would ever change one or more of the tires, but I suppose if a tire is damaged in transit they might be tempted to add an alternate replacement.

But remember, Toyota still wants us to do front-to-back rotation only (keep tires in same direction).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much better is the ride and road noise? I plan to get these tires when the factory tires wear out.
They are much better. I wish I could put a number on it, but the best I can do is this: A lane was added on my daily drive and now I drive down a lane of rumble bars to exit the freeway. I barely hear them now and no longer feel my teeth chatter.

I basically had the opposite affect when I purchased the Venza. My trade-in SUV had Michelin Defenders and the day I purchased the Venza, I knew I'd need to change out the tires. On my Pilot, I waited 3+ years for the OEMs to wear out first...I didn't feel like suffering that long in the Venza.

Here's the comparison on TireRack.com
Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
That has been standard rotation pattern ever since directional-tread tires became popular years ago.
Even on non-performance cars without directional tread, I haven't seen a cross-rotation pattern in an owner's manual in a long time.
Even if the spare is being rotated through, it is always rotated through the passenger side (passenger side tends to catch more wear due to higher speeds on left turns).

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza XLE Celestial Black
38 Posts
They are much better. I wish I could put a number on it, but the best I can do is this: A lane was added on my daily drive and now I drive down a lane of rumble bars to exit the freeway. I barely hear them now and no longer feel my teeth chatter.

I basically had the opposite affect when I purchased the Venza. My trade-in SUV had Michelin Defenders and the day I purchased the Venza, I knew I'd need to change out the tires. On my Pilot, I waited 3+ years for the OEMs to wear out first...I didn't feel like suffering that long in the Venza.

View attachment 357534
The Cross Climate2s made such a difference for me that I'd say this should be a mandatory upgrade for anyone's Venza if you can swing the money for them. It's not even just the road noise(which is super quiet now, even at high speeds on concrete) but NVH and ride quality in-general. Going over bad pavement is nothing now compared to the Ecopia's.

Not only is the ride comfort significantly improved, but you're getting a far superior tire for all types of weather including a 3 peak mountain snow flake to boot.

Don't see any reason not to fully enjoy your car now, especially for how much this car costs relative to the cost to upgrade the tires.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Venza Limited
96 Posts
The Cross Climate2s made such a difference for me that I'd say this should be a mandatory upgrade for anyone's Venza if you can swing the money for them. It's not even just the road noise(which is super quiet now, even at high speeds on concrete) but NVH and ride quality in-general. Going over bad pavement is nothing now compared to the Ecopia's.

Not only is the ride comfort significantly improved, but you're getting a far superior tire for all types of weather including a 3 peak mountain snow flake to boot.

Don't see any reason not to fully enjoy your car now, especially for how much this car costs relative to the cost to upgrade the tires.
Wait, so is this a proper All-seasons set of tires? Lol, I cannot get over the fact that all-seasons, in general, are not good for ALL seasons. I haven't driven enough on those Ecopias (around 1.5k kms), but I do have the impression that my ride is smoother on the winter tires (yeah, for real).

Never thought I'd say that about tires, but, those Cross Climate 2s look fine! That thread pattern is something else

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
I cross rotate my wheels. Personal preference really.

FL to RR, RR to FR, FR to RL, RL to FL.

Ecopia's are tires meant for fuel economy. I had them on my 08 Camry and they were really nice. The issue is with my driving style I likely got feathering on the outer edge and near the end of their life I started getting punctures. I eventually swapped them to BFgoodrich Advantage T/A and these suck. I am now running with Continental PureContact LS's and they are great!

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Same here.

Yeah I have a set of BFgoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires right now and I'm not impressed. Way too loud for the mediocre grip. Responsiveness is ok at least.
They spin on moist ground at a red at the on ramp. All 140 ft-lb. I got a feeling I barely slid the rear while on a roundabout too.

·
Registered
140 Posts

View attachment 357534
I had the Michelin cross climate 2 installed on Monday. Don’t know yet how they will be in inclement weather but so far I love them. Much quieter and smoother ride. Right now they have a $70 rebate going on

·
Registered
2 Posts
The US manual says to perform tire rotation front-to-back only, do not swap left-to-right, but it doesn't say why.
However, Toyota TSB-0034-21 states that the tires are matched sets and warns if the tires are removed during Dealer PDI, they should be reinstalled in the same location and in same direction of rotation (to minimize pulling and drifting). >>>UPDATE: @joerocky III has the answer here.

Kind of weird considering that the Ecopia tires don't appear to be listed as unidirectional. Maybe it's just a Toyota thing I didn't know about since so many models are affected.

Just something to keep an eye on at your service intervals. (I just installed Michelin Cross Climate 2s and they are most definitely unidirectional.)

First thing i did was drive to Discount TIRE and have Michelin Cross Climate 2's put on, the OEM tires SUCKED !!!

·
Registered
2021 Venza LE Blue
251 Posts
There is nothing special about this. All directional tires are expected to be moved back to front and front to back only, not side to side. If you switch side, then the direction of rotation of the tire is changed which it is not designed for. It would still work, but sub-optimal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts