Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant remember if my Tacoma came with the ball hitch or not? If it did, then I misplaced.

If it didnt, where did you guys buy your hitches? I dont have anything to tow yet, but I will likely use the pin as a spot to attach a tow strap if I get stuck. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nope, did not come with one. Can pick one up most anywhere, wally world, local auto parts store, etc, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Depends what you plan to hall, different ball sizes for different trailers. Don't even have one my self but sure someone on here could tell you what is most common, or the auto parts store would probably know what the most common size is as well. I need to pick one up to put behind the seat.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
Toyota's don't get stuck

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
The receivers that come on Tacomas from factory are 2". Walmart has several 2" hitches with different ammounts of drop, with your lift and tires youll probably need a hitch with a 3" drop or more. If youre not planning on hauling anything the ball size doesnt matter but the ball can come in handy for putting a tow strap around it. Most trailers have a 17/8" ball or 2" ball. Walmart has a stainless steel hitch that doesnt cost much more than black steel hitches, looks good and wont rust.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
You really don't want to hook a recovery strap over a ball hitch. A better option is just to buy a decent hitch pin. You can slip the loop of the strap inside the square receiver hole, and secure it by sliding the hitch pin through the loop inside of the receiver hole, just like you would secure a hitch or a hitch-cover. That way, there is zero chance that it will slip off of the recovery point.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
If done correctly it wont come off the ball, but yes a pin is the safer option for someone that doesnt know exactly what theyre doing.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Another good option is put the receiver hitch on and buy a good heavy duty shackle to put on the hitch. Then all you have to do is put the hook of the towstrap through the shackle and shut the latch on the towstrap hook.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
stevenh563 said:
If done correctly it wont come off the ball, but yes a pin is the safer option for someone that doesnt know exactly what theyre doing.
:noshit: <---- We really need that smiley here. :D

That option is actually safer for anyone, regardless of whether they "know exactly what they're doing" or not.

·
french fried taters
546 Posts
Way to go Mr. Maturity.

·
Speed Junkie
139 Posts
stevenh563 said:
Another good option is put the receiver hitch on and buy a good heavy duty shackle to put on the hitch. Then all you have to do is put the hook of the towstrap through the shackle and shut the latch on the towstrap hook.
While we're on the subject of pointing out dangerous things, tow straps with hooks are dangerous and should not be used... seriously. Tow straps with loops are much safer to use with shackles.

Yea I know you're not advocating dangerous towing here, and I would use whatever means I had with me at the moment to get unstuck BUT if someone is out there and in the market for recovery hardware, buy a tow strap with loops and if you don't have the Off Road recovery hooks put a shackle on the truck and use that.

·
Givin' the dog a bone
Tacoma
125 Posts
When i bought my taco, it came with the harness and receiver already installed. The drawbar was in a box in the cab, didn't come with a ball. No problem though because i took the ball off my mom's astro :)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
mmessier2 said:
Actually I just want the hitch pin to use to attach my tow strap to in order to tow me out of the mud...
I use one of these

and a 27k lb. recovery strap that's made for pulling farm tractors out of the mud. It's a little overkill, but you know me...

And while we are on the subject, be sure that you are using a tow strap for towing, and not for recovering. You can break a tow strap/rope by trying to pull a truck out of a ditch. Tow straps and Recovery straps are different things. For getting a vehicle un-stuck use a recovery strap. They are more expensive, but much safer.

The recovery strap that I have is made to stretch and retract a little bit, like a bungee cord. Once the vehicle starts moving, the spring action will keep it coming.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
If your truck has the towing package it should come with the towing hitch, trailer wiring outlet, a 7 to 4 pin adapter, and a wiring harness for your brake controller. Your Tacoma should not come with a ball mount, pin, or ball.

The brake controller harness gets wired to a brake controller (that you have to buy) and then the harness plugs into an outlet under the driver-side dash. No need to splice into any wires to get trailer brakes.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
I use one of these

and a 27k lb. recovery strap that's made for pulling farm tractors out of the mud. It's a little overkill, but you know me...

And while we are on the subject, be sure that you are using a tow strap for towing, and not for recovering. You can break a tow strap/rope by trying to pull a truck out of a ditch. Tow straps and Recovery straps are different things. For getting a vehicle un-stuck use a recovery strap. They are more expensive, but much safer.

The recovery strap that I have is made to stretch and retract a little bit, like a bungee cord. Once the vehicle starts moving, the spring action will keep it coming.
Way to go Mr. Maturity.[/stevenh563] :lol:

Is giving GOOD advice considered taboo here now?

EDIT:: In case it's not clear... I absolutely agree with you. Apparently, others think their advice shouldn't be corrected, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts