Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,222 Posts
well, i just ordered the parts for the diff breather mod. i prolly won't get them until the week of new years. dam holidays.

these are the part numbers i ordered :
Breather Plug (part #90930-03136)
Union fitting (part #90404-51319)

i'll be getting fuel line and hose clamps from autozone when they come in. i'll keep ya updated when i do the install.

here is the install i'll be following

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/jackson_breather/breather.htm

any suggestions from those that have done it?

· Trevor
2,081 Posts
No suggestions, but where are you running the breather to? Taco5 ran his into the cubby in the bed which I thought was a good place. Mines in the filler neck, like so. I don't have any issues with it there but if I did it over I may go the cubby route as it's a little higher and a little drier being that it's in the bed.

· Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was going to put the breather in the filler lid like you did AN. but i like the idea of putting it in one of the cubbies in the bed. i don't think i need to worry about it when it rains or i wash the truck. anyone disagree?

· Trevor
2,081 Posts
1slktoy said:
Very true..although

1)I don't think this part is the same breather that is on the diff.

and

2)I think the point of moving it is to keep it out of water, so why not keep it dry if there is a good place??
1) It's the same type of part just designed to be pushed into a tube instead of threaded into a diff pumpkin, it works exactly the same though.

2) It would stay pretty dry in the filler area. 'One' way water is theoretically pulled into the diff is when the diff is really hot and then all of a suden submerged into cold water like a river crossing. Thought is when the diff is hot and then suddenly submerged into cold water the change in temp could create negative pressure in the diff causing water to be drawn into the diff via the point of least resistance which is the valve. That said I've seen lots of guys drive through mud and water without this mod and they have not taken water into their diff, the whole point is just just to play it safe. The chance of water being pulled into the diff when idle, like times when you are washing your truck is next to nil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.