Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

Well, I'm tired of being uncomfortable in my Taco. I LOVE the truck - I really do - but my back is just NOT loving the seat! I feel like I'm sitting in a HOLE, and my back gets uncomfortable whenever I drive for more than a 1/2hr.:sosad:

I searched this forum, and saw that others have ALSO complained, and fixed or replaced their seats.

I have no problem ordering a set of Corbeau or Recaro seats - which can be installed with an available aftermarket bracket kit - but I'm wondering if the TRD/Sport seats might be a better option. They should fit the factory rails and seatbelt mount, so I wouldn't be compromising any safety.

Are the TRD/Sport seats THAT much different? If so, HOW. (ie: longer, more support, more adjustments, etc.)

Also, can anyone point me to where I could purchase them - NOT from a dealer. Someplace you KNOW has them in stock, not just a "Toyota parts" site. I've checked a few I know of, and they don't seem to have seats.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drove a Non TRD Sport and did not like the seats at all... They felt very uncomfortable to me. This was almost enough to turn me off to buying the truck.

I went ahead a tried the TRD Sport and the seats are MUCH better in my opinion. They are much more comfortable and have better support. Once I drove the TRD Sport, I was signing papers.

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I don't think anyone will have a brand new Tacoma's seats in stock. Not EVEN a dealer would have those. You are better off going aftermarket. I'm sure they will not be cheap going with the OEM sport seats.

I have no problem with my SR5 seats. The pattern on them is a little gaudy but some seat covers will fix that soon enough.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You should stop by a dealer, and sit in them to see what you think about them. I love mine, they were one of the selling points of the truck for me. pretty much every vehicle I've driven in for more than a half hour makes me antsy, these I've been in for a few 1.5 to 2 hour trips so far, and there just as comfortable at the end of the trip as they are at the beginning.,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes,
They are that much different. One of the reasons I ponied up for the TRD off-road package vs SR5.

I have driven 3 hours straight in mine (only had the truck 2 weeks) and it is very comfortable. The driver seat has a manual lumbar support, and the side bolsters are larger. The seat felt more firm to me than the SR5. Nicer and more durable cloth as well. My wife loves it- says the seats feel better than her 04 Highlander Limited!

Good luck.

(06 Dual Cab Prerunner Off-road, Desert Sand. XM radio added.)

·
Chuck Norris rules
2006 Tacoma
344 Posts
Fitz235 said:
You should stop by a dealer, and sit in them to see what you think about them. I love mine, they were one of the selling points of the truck for me. pretty much every vehicle I've driven in for more than a half hour makes me antsy, these I've been in for a few 1.5 to 2 hour trips so far, and there just as comfortable at the end of the trip as they are at the beginning.,
Beat me into saying that...definitely sit in one at the dealer, and maybe then shop around and find a wrecked taco to buy the seats out of.

·
Love this Tacoma!
Toyota Tacoma
623 Posts
Once I sat in both seats it was all over for the SR5 they tried to sell me since they had since sold the TRD Sport I previously sat in at the dealership. They brought another Sport in from a dealer, oddly enough for me the seats would have been a deal breaker. The SR5 seats were much like the seats in my 2000 GMC Jimmy, 15 min and i was figgeting all over trying to get comfortable. I've taken several 2 hr plus trips in the Tacoma and its made me realize I made the right choice holding out for the TRD. But for your own sake i'd go sit in a set at a local dealer like someone suggested that will give you the best on hand knowledge. I knew I wanted the truck just sitting in the seats before a test drive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've done 24hrs in the seat and the manual lumbar support went a long way.

Seatcovers might help you out a little bit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should sit in a TRD. I wanted a 4cyl 5 spd, so a TRD package was impossible to find or even order, but retrofitting the TRD seats should be an easy proposition.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke with my local parts dept., and was informed that you CAN'T get ANY "TRD" equipment as an "upgrade".

If you already HAVE a "TRD" equipped vehicle, than you can get "replacement" parts (such as a new seat), but he can't order a part unless it's specifically for a vehicle WITH the "TRD" package.

WTF? :eek:

Guess I'm givin' Corbeau a call soon. :disappoin

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
Activator said:
Sounds like a safety/liability issue.

Why don't you try and call a place like trdparts4u? They don't have to know what kind of seats you already have. At least get a price on them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Call me the oddball

I sat in both TRD and SR5s, and didn't notice much difference. Maybe my SR5 mistakenly came with TRD seats, I'm not sure..but I am happy with the lumbar support (there is, at least on the driver's side). Overall comfort is good. No complaints.

·
;o{
18 Posts
I've been on 3 ski trips so far in my '05 SR5 DCab, 4 hours each way(SanJose to Lake Tahoe & back),
plus 2 other non-ski related trips to Reno, Nev.

No complaints at all about the SR5 seats, nice and comfy on those long trips. :thumbup:
Just like my ski boots, they're so comfortable I don't think about them all day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe the SR5 seats aren't as comfy for me because I'm 6'5" tall, 34" inseam, 210lbs? (Perfect NFL Quarterback size!!)

The "lumbar support" hits me mid-kidney, which is HIGH, even on my frame, so I can't see how normal folks can find the lumbar support comfy... oh well. Different strokes.

·
Seattle Seahawks Rule
2005 Toyota Tacoma
222 Posts
I have the lumbar support cranked all the way out and it feels great!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Seat Position

Activator said:
Maybe the SR5 seats aren't as comfy for me because I'm 6'5" tall, 34" inseam, 210lbs?
Being about your size( 6'2", 34" inseam), I was surprised to find the TRD seats more comfortable if they weren't all the way back. Mine's moved about 2" forward, forcing the legs to bend a little, and tilting the seatback more than I normally would. Really improved the comfort factor right away. I've only driven about 45 min at a shot so far, no big trips the first week.

My TRD seat's bottom, with my rear against the seatback, extend to about 4" short of the back of my knee. I've found that when I'm really uncomfortable in a car, the seat bottom is usually really short. Not sure how long the bottom is in my TL, if substantially different, I'll repost.

¢¢

Only the third car I've ever met where I didn't need the seat all the way back, and the first in 15 years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts