Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my differential oil and replaced with Mobil 1 and a Mobil Limited Slip Additive. It drove bad. It was like I was driving in 4 wheel drive on pavement. I have a 2 wheel drive. Also felt like it was holding back my speed and made noise when I turned my truck. I took it in to the dealership and they said I had the wrong oil in there and changed it to Toyota Brand. Recommend that I add BP Additive. They said they don't even sell additives for rear differentials. I found that questionable. Would I'd like to know is does the Toyota brand differential fluid already come with additive? My truck no longer makes noise now while turning, but I still feel a little drag. All of this does seem to make sense to me. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Toyota has several gears oils and some come with LS additive. So, whats the PN used on the dealer service?

Mobil-1 75w90 and 75w140 have LS additive already. There is usually no need to add any more LS additive and have never seen bottles of Mobil Limited Slip Additive at the local autopart stores. Please post pictures of the products that caused you problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look at order. It's hand written and hard to read. Maybe I can post it. Also I'll have to see if I have a pic of the Mobil 1 oil

·
My Other Truck
3,778 Posts
I haven't yet figured out this new forum layout including the Search feature......

05Moose has posted about this before, what to use, what not to use, what works or does not.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
Let’s just skip to the info. I’m basing this on both personal experience (it’s a PITA using an additive that only works for 1K miles or one that doesn’t work at all) and the dozens of posts by owners with the mechanical LSD that experimented with different oils.

1. Do NOT use synthetic in the rear diff (we’re talking only those with the mechanical LSD). Too many members tried it with little success.
2. You MUST use an additive. Oils that have LSD additive do not have enough. Most oils say “compatible” with LSDs and do not actually have the additive.
3. Choose your additive wisely. I tried various additives from Napa and OReilly. Many here experienced problems, and many on Tacoma World experiences the same. Don’t waste your time and money buying whatever is on the shelf. Some don’t work, and others will work for a while then start chattering. The only kind that has worked for everyone (and me over and over) is the kind that comes in the tube like below. It comes in that bottle by at least two or three companies including K&W and CRC. I get mine from Amazon.

·
Tennessee Tacoma Pilot
212 Posts
I have had perfect success with Valvoline 75W-90 differential fluid and the Trans X additive. It is the way to go.

I tried synthetic and the chatter was superb.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Following up on what moose and tacologist said. My 3rd party toyota specialty shop tried using their house standard, and it sucked. He replaced it with the Toyota stuff and it worked fine, and has continued to for 120k miles (with changes). I remind him every time to use the Toyota stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
RTFM
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing