Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, recently bought a Corolla 2001 3 speed automatic with 96k miles,what type of fluid should I use for the differential ,planning to drain and fill it.The manual says automatic dexron 2,the same for transmission.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,764 Posts
Toyota eventually went with a one-fill-one-drain solution on newer transervese engine swith an automatic transmission. So the differential uses ATF from the transmission. If you are unable to find an additional drain and fill hole for the differential then you should not need to do it.

Manual transmissions do need differential fluid.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, recently bought a Corolla 2001 3 speed automatic with 96k miles,what type of fluid should I use for the differential ,planning to drain and fill it.The manual says automatic dexron 2,the same for transmission.
Any new Dexron fluid will work it is the only fluid in the transmission there is a drain on the pan and fill it though the dipstick tube

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,992 Posts
The 3-speed A131L has a separate differential. Filled and drained through separate holes. Many a differential has been lost by people not realizing this!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 3-speed A131L has a separate differential. Filled and drained through separate holes. Many a differential has been lost by people not realizing this!
That's right,I need to add a small amount or maybe replace all the fluid.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,992 Posts
Make sure you can open the fill hole before you drain the fluid. The fill hole plug is hard to get to.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
3,992 Posts
Could you post a link to that DIY? I don't see it. I only see a DIY about changing the transmission fluid on the A131L.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts