Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
A member advised to make sure I get the differential fluid changed on my 97 Corolla 4A-FE with Automatic. Is the differential separate from the transmission. I mean I have had the tranny fluid changed moderately recently. Do I need to get the differential oil changed, still???
Thanks
Welp

·
Only GOD Knows
Toyota Corolla
1,974 Posts
the diff fluid is the same as the trans fluid on a 97 7AFE (not in a separate chamber). But on a 4AFE, I'm not so positive on that. There were some that the fluids were chambered separately but I think it was on older 7th gens (93-94).

·
Premium Member
1994 Corolla DX
4,956 Posts
It also applied to the later model years. See the manual for a 1997 Corolla - page 195 (page 3 of the PDF) - it references the separate specs for the diff in a 3-speed: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12671U/pdf/8-1.pdf

EDIT: So to answer the OP question: Yes, you do need to drain and fill the differential separately on a 4A-FE 3-speed auto. Don't pull the drain plug first, karma will then dictate that your fill plug will be seized and you now have an empty diff you have no means of refilling. Pull the fill plug first!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It also applied to the later model years. See the manual for a 1997 Corolla - page 195 (page 3 of the PDF) - it references the separate specs for the diff in a 3-speed: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12671U/pdf/8-1.pdf

EDIT: So to answer the OP question: Yes, you do need to drain and fill the differential separately on a 4A-FE 3-speed auto. Don't pull the drain plug first, karma will then dictate that your fill plug will be seized and you now have an empty diff you have no means of refilling. Pull the fill plug first!
Fabulous and wonderful insight to Murphy's law and my luck! Thanks Dude!!!!
Another to the list!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.