Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 corolla, carb'ed, 3sp automatic. I have had a humming noise coming from the front and in the last 20KM has been getting worse. Axles are new and tranny shifts fine, new oil, not burnt and full. I was trying to figure if this thing has a separate differential that I have to check/fill oil in?
Also any other suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is related to motion, most annoying at highway speeds. Tires have been changed 10KM ago, without any effect. I had a rear differential car in the past and this noise exactly reminds me of the one the differential in that one (In the rear) was making before dying, but this is from the front. Axles have been changed recently too without any effect-is that the same as driveshaft or something else. Brakes are fine too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You boys are all wrong! I've got a 90 EFI 3spd auto and yes the differential is seperate and your gears are gonna shit the bed. I had the same exact problem and mine crapped out on me. The tranny shop did a shit job and it has never ben right since. Check your fluid level and se if it is low. The fill plug is on the back of the transaxle near the firewall. Stand on the drivers side and look straight down just on the other side of the master cylinder. Use a 17mm wrench to pull the plug. Did you replace your axle seals when you replaced your axle's? I didn't and that is probably what killed mine. Don't waste your time getting your trans rebuilt. I spent close to $850, I could have put that towards a front cut and converted to 5spd and a real engine. You can try to get some more life out of your trans by puting straight Lucas gear oil in your final drive but it will only delay the inevitable. This is a very common problem and I hate to see anyone else waste money on it like I did.:mad:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
20vstarlet
Thanks for the response. Sounds about right. I ahve had this thing checked at two tranny shops and they just check the tranny oil and how it shifts and then sent me on my was saying that everything is OK, and to come back when the sound gets worse!!
I also found this on the autozone site. I will have to start working on it and see if adding oil will prevent further damage.
By the way I say someone in another post swaped the tranny with one that has OD, I was thinking that this would be a better option than rebuilding the 3spd. Have you thought about that possibility.

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui..._us/0900823d/80/16/97/0a/0900823d8016970a.jsp

Flashmn
No, thrust me, I have had cars for a long time and can differentiate wind/tire noise from other stuff. This is only related to driving and speed, worse when there is more load on the car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Believe me guys it is the final drive. My car made the same whine and the trans shifted great up until the moment the final drive shit the bed. Where did you read about the OD swap? That might be an easier swap for me because I can't find ANY damn 5spd cars in the boneyards at all.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response. I found the plug, but mine is larger than 17mm, probably 19, and I don't have that size & wasn't able to get it off with anything else. I have to do something this weekend and check the level. Now I have started that while in 1st or reverse, sometimes when I want to move I feel a jolt, which seems scaringly like a differential slipping-not much engine reving though and just one second.
This is the link about the guy who swapped a tranny with OD in a 90 corolla.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t40571.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I got to it. Only couple of drops of oil was left in the differential when I emptied it. Took around 1.5 quarts of oil to refill, no metals on the magnet, so lets see if I can get a couple of months out of this.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What kind of oil did you use? If it is still really noisy you might try a quart of Lucas and fill the remainder with gear oil. Make sure your axle seals are good or you will be filling it again in a couple of weeks. Also check your tranny fluid level, there is a seal in the diff that can die and let gear oil drain into the tranny. Good luck man.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I used tranny oil as recomended by the online manual. I am trying to check for visible leak, though I created a little mess and I was seeing drips for two days which I am not sure if it was ffrom how I worked. I didn't know about the seal into the tranny-it makes sense-thanks for the info. I now get a gear grinding sound for 1 second when I start moving in reverse against a steep road (that's where I have to park the car), it doesn't feel very comforting!! I think I have to start saving for a new car.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, it is leaking from one of the axles that was actually changed 4 months ago. Probably mech. did not do a great job. I need advice though. One tranny shop says I have too much play in that axle, so changing the seal would not cut it, the other one thinks it might be fine with a new seal. Since I am almost going broke on this car, I want to see if anyone has more insight into this before I shell out cash. Right now I have to refill oil every other day, and then it drives fine.
BTW, one tranny store wants to rebuild the diff for $400, which sounds too good to be true. Any comments welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you can do a swap yourself, I know of a place that sells parts for cheap. Its a pull a part in worster MA. I was able to pick up two trans. that I put into my 89 corolla and my uncles 92 corolla. I have had the car running for three years and I put b$m quick shift fluid in both the diff and the trans. Also I only paid $125 each.

·
Registered
68 Posts
89molavi said:
I have an 89 corolla, carb'ed, 3sp automatic. I have had a humming noise coming from the front and in the last 20KM has been getting worse. Axles are new and tranny shifts fine, new oil, not burnt and full. I was trying to figure if this thing has a separate differential that I have to check/fill oil in?
Also any other suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Sounds like the front wheel bearings. I changed mine on my 1988 Corolla GT-S. The passenger side bearing race was pitted thus making a humming noise especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
crapomatic 3spd

How mechanically inclined are you? It really isn't that hard to replace the seals and I could walk you through it. BTW my car is pumping all of the oil out of the diff through the speedo cable and into my dash:disappoin . If I can be of any help at all feel free to email.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the offer. Its only one axle that's leaking and today we checked it with my friend and has too much play for any seal to last enough. I am OK mechanically, but live in an apt. complex, so don't have enough space/tools to do stuff. People are already complaining about oil change/brake repair; though I don't leave any traces. Also the car has 140 kmiles, probably needs new carb and is going to fail emissions in the next 3 months. So I guess I will start saving for a newer one. Maybe try selling this one, with full disclosure-don't see anybody buying it!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.