Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the changes in the 05 XRS engine and body wise
I am going to purchase it with in a week.

Which one to get? i was thinking 05 but i dont like the front bumper is there a different one out there?

THank you:)

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
The 05 XRS is rated at 170hp compared to 180hp in the 03 and 173hp in the 04. I wouldn't worry about this so much because it has been proven by dyno testing by owners that the 04's produced just the same amount of hp as the 180hp 03's. Could prove to be the same for the 05's and possibly just pure marketing BS because it has to compare with the 05 Corolla XRS.

The 05 XRS is drive-by-wire compared to throttle cable system in the 03/04's.

Engine related that's all I can think of.

Bodywise, the only thing new in the 05 XRS is the front bumper and grill pattern. I don't think any of the aftermarket bodykits would fit the 05 XRS because it has taken on a new shape. You could always make the 03/04 front bumper fit but you'd have to acquire the entire bumper from an 03/04 somewhere.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Other noticeable changes:

Clear type tail lights

6 CD Toyota in dash CD player

I have an 05 and love this car. I prefer the new front bumper for the XRS model, but in the base and XR without the foglights, it looks silly. I hate the slots for fogs with black plastic blanks in them. The XRS front end looks a little meaner, and the fogs really light up the road not only out front, but to the sides really well too. I'd think the older models with them set inward a little would not be as good with the side lighting.
As for power, Toyota has been known to advertise on the low side when it comes to horsepower. Maybe to be safe against a lawsuit? When they advertised 180hp and the dyno tests showed less, they could be set for a lawsuit I would think. Just my thoughts on the new approach. I don't think the engine has changed physically.

MistaMatrix;
You stated "The 05 XRS is drive-by-wire compared to throttle cable system in the 03/04's"

Could you explain in a simple laymans language the difference? I've never heard this mentioned before. Thanks!!

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
Basically, it's electronics (drive by wire) vs. mechanics (throttle cable).

Drive by wire uses sensors at the gas pedal and other gadgetry to get the car moving. It's also meant to reduce weight (less moving parts) and make cars more efficient.

Most cars today use throttle cables (like the 03/04's) attached to the gas pedal. Depressing the pedal pulls on the throttle cable to get the car going.

There's already plenty of cars using drive by wire. It's possible that it may entirely replace throttle cable systems altogether.

Here's a link that may explain it better than I have...
http://www.edmunds.com/news/innovations/articles/43033/article.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your responses Today I am going to a dealer here in Seattle so I'll take a look at 04 and 05.

Drive by wire is nice but is that the only difference engine wise no other improvements?
I also noticed that 04 doesnt come with DVD navi system and it doesnt have side airbags. 05 got a nice JBL stereo system. IS it all worth the $.

Since I am a noob to all this
mistamatrix
XRS
Bodywise, the only thing new in the 05 XRS is the front bumper and grill pattern. I don't think any of the aftermarket bodykits would fit the 05 XRS because it has taken on a new shape. You could always make the 03/04 front bumper fit but you'd have to acquire the entire bumper from an 03/04 somewhere.
So if I buy 05 and want 4 grille I cannot do that, is that right. Or is it possible?

Also what is TRD? is it like a boost up trix.
So which one?

Drive by wire superior to a cable-operated throttle system for the following reasons:

By eliminating the mechanical elements and transmitting a vehicle's throttle position electronically, drive-by-wire greatly reduces the number of moving parts in the throttle system. This means greater accuracy, reduced weight, and, theoretically, no service requirements (like oiling and adjusting the throttle cable).
The greater accuracy not only improves the driving experience (increased responsiveness and consistent pedal feel regardless of outside temperature or pedal position), but it allows the throttle position to be tied closely into ECM information like fuel pressure, engine temperature and exhaust gas re-circulation. This means improved fuel economy and power delivery as well as lower exhaust emissions.
With the pedal inputs reduced to a series of electronic signals, it becomes a simple matter to integrate a vehicle's throttle with non-engine specific items like ABS, gear selection and traction control. This increases the effectiveness of these systems while further reducing the amount of moving parts, service requirements and vehicle weight.

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
As far as I know, the new hp rating of 170 and drivebywire have been the only engine differences I've heard/read about.

I don't think you'd be able to buy an 05 and ask for an 04 grill. But you could always look for one after the fact if you prefer that look.

TRD = Toyota Racing Development. It's a brand from Toyota that deals w/ performance parts.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here you go, I'm not sure what part you don't like. The upper grill or the whole front end? I prefer this look myself, but then again it's mine :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mistamatrix if you have 04 or 03 can you please post also so I can see a close comaprison

this is what I've read form the other forum at matrixowner.com

The '05 Matrix is passable from a visual aspect but i'd never buy an /04 or an '05 for the fact they pushed up the "lift" engagement even higher, thus making the powerband more undriveable and useless.
and here

the higher lift engagement kinda kills the point of getting an XRS...
If i was to get an 05, would definetly be an XR with SC.... If thats possible on the 05... otherwise custom turbo... lol

Seems like the XRS is useless to own on the 05 models... i mean you can hit lift but it would last for .005 seconds and you would never be able to land lift in continuous shifts.. unless theres something we dont know about it.. lol.

can someone please expalin it to me since I am a noob to this lift action thing what do they talk about .005 sec lift etc...
does anybody know?

Thank you

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's longer than that. On my '05, I hit 'Lift' at about 6800 RPM and it continues through to redline at 8400? RPM reaching max HP at 7600 RPM. The time from 6800 to 8400 RPM is a couple of seconds or so. When shifting up to the next gear after redline, your back to around 5000 RPM, so you have another second of acceleration before you are back in the 'Lift' range. It's still a blast and a lot of power for a small engine. In 2nd gear I reach 100 KPH (63 MPH), in 3rd 140 KPH (88 MPH) and that's as far as I've gotten so far. (Just tried 'Lift' after breakin period earlier this week for the first time). The gearing of the 6 speed also makes a bit of difference, helping acceleration a little. I also believe the suspension is slightly tweaked, but that may be in conjunction with the 17" wheels. I also wonder if the exhaust has been slightly tweaked, or just reacts a little different because of the engine output. Overall, for the little difference in price, I'm glad I got it. Sort of like, why would you buy a sports car without the engine to match?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
One advantage of drive by wire is that there is less vebrations that are felt in your foot. This is one of toyotas ways to reduce NVH or noise, vibrations, and harshness.

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
kortik, here's an 03/04 grill:

VVTL-i = variable valve timing and "lift" - with intelligence

The 2ZZ-GE VVTL-i engine is only found in the XRS models. The base and XR's have the 1ZZ-FE VVT-i engine. The "L" or "lift" in the VVTL-i is what sets these two engine apart.

Both engines act pretty much the same way under low-mid rpms but what happens in higher rpms (6200rpm in the 03, 6500 and/or even higher in the 04/05 XRS') in the VVTL-i engine is a higher profile cam allows the valves to be open for a longer period of time thus causing a sudden surge in power when the rpms reach 6200/6500 & up.

VVTL-i is similar to VTEC in Hondas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
mistamatrix
that was an awesome explanation THANK YOU this is all make sense now.

ok tomorow I am buying 05 Indigo Ink Pearl XRS with these accessories FE CK BE SR EJ AA V5 Z1 for $23036.70 including WA state tax and fee.
Do you think it is a good deal?

@TRXR4KDS
What options do you have (FE CK BE etc......) and when did you buy yours.

It seems that 04 XRS is sold out everywhere in Seattle area and its surroundings. Even to get an 05 I have to wait 30 days for it to come. and how chepaer is 04 going to be anyway?
And if I really hate the from bumper and grill I'll change it then, hopefully it is possible.

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
You can't really compare US prices w/ Canadian prices. Generally, Americans pay more for new cars than Canadians do.

Just take the MSRP's for both US and Canadian 05 XRS', do a conversion for both amounts and you'll see what I mean.

Congrats on stepping up and buying one! :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok purchased it 05 Indigo Ink Pearl XRS with these accessories FE CK BE SR EJ AA V5 Z1 for $22,000 including WA state tax+fees.

It was hard to deal with dealers, took me 3 days to get that price, but finnally got it. Although I got to wait 30 days for it cuase they didnt have Indigo ink color at the dealer.

Now I am running out of patience after reading thorugh a lot of forums and looking at pics oh man I think am turning Matrixsian.:LOL:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Since when did the Redline move from 8200rpm to 8400rpm if anything this would be going down not up?

Where did this info come from please clarify?

·
Registered
93 Posts
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/matrix/specs.html

I thought so that that statement wuz BS bout 8400 redline limit for the 05 more like 7600...

XRS

1.8-liter DOHC
16-valve VVTL-i
4-cylinder

170 hp @ 7,600 rpm
127 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm(05)

torque is down as well from
Torque (lb/ft)…………………… 130 @ 6800 (03)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another benefit of drive by wire is a decreased complexity in offerin cruise control. The throttle actuators are already there - it is just a matter of some minor programming. With a mechanical linkage, the linkage and an actuator are in the system - complete redundancy without any of the benefits.

:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts