Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '94 GTS and last night after I started driving, I couldn't go from 3rd into 4th. Then after trying to accelerate from the lights, I noticed that I couldn't go into 2nd either. I don't think its my clutch because I have no problem with 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Reverse is also though but still goes in. Only the bottom gears. What's my problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exuse my ignorance, but what is the syncros? Inside the tranny? Expensive job, does the tranny have to come off the car?

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Essentially it is what syncronizes the gears in your trani so that when you shift the gears dont grind.

Actually i should have asked...when you say that it is hard to get in, does that mean that they grind or that it just wont go in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it doesn't grind, they just dont go in. When I'm stopped at the lights, I can play through all the gears with the clutch in. Sometimes if I shift below 2K the gear goes in fine.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
*warning* extremely incorrect terminology *warning* :lol:

ok in the trani there are these fork like things that spin along themselves and when you shift into gear they slide into certain slots, it is quite possible that one of these fork things is missaligned.

I hope this makes sence lol :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok it makes sense. What's the remedy? Take it to the dealer? is it an expensive job? is it possible to do it myself?. thanks for you help bud.

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
well a 1990 is kinda old already so you might be able to get away with going to a local trani shop THAT YOU TRUST to save some money, but the dealership will probably be able to fix it the fastest but @ $70+/h it might add up.

I hope that this helps

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
have you looked at the state of the bushes on the shift cables on the transmission ?

they perish with the heat and soften out, making the gearbox sluggish and mis behave..

i had difficulty in 2/3 and 3/4 if i rushed

got the bushes changed with what most GT4 and
MR2 owners use solid brass ones

feels great

Stu!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
How can you tell if it's the bushes and not the syncros?
I just checked the prices for the 3rd, 4th and 5th gear syncro and almost had a heart attack... I want to rule out everything before spending on something that was Ok.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will change my gear oil. Not sure when it was last done. does it matter what kind of oil I use? Toyota genuine or Walmart stuff ok?

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
go to the gearbox and undo the 2 spring clips (do them 1 at a time)

look at the condition of the rubber and if it haw began to sit diagonal is a give away

there is a large gap in the bush to allow for play... but this 'gives' and the bush distorts, this distortion is the problem as the 2 links at opposing each other....

http://www.twosrus.com/new/Lower_Frames/Products/Purchased/shiftbushings.htm

shows the best ... look at install instructions

Stu!

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Thanks man... I'll have it checked this weekend while I have the oil changed. :)

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
GTS gearbox use :-

gear oil

75w - 90
80w - 90
or 90

capacity sorry i cant remember but someone should post but its cheap anyway and can be returned if you get too much

Thug!

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
found it

5.2 - 5.4 pints

hope that helps

Thug!

·
Registered
26 Posts
guessguy said:
I've got a '94 GTS and last night after I started driving, I couldn't go from 3rd into 4th. Then after trying to accelerate from the lights, I noticed that I couldn't go into 2nd either. I don't think its my clutch because I have no problem with 1st, 3rd, or 5th. Reverse is also though but still goes in. Only the bottom gears. What's my problem?
what do u mean it "couldnt go into gear"? Did it stop u from changing as-in it sat at about neutral and physically stopped you or did it throw and make no effect? If its the later i had the same problem. It turned out that my selector(s?) were dry and misaligned. Cost me $30AUD to fix (~$20USD) to fix

1 - 17 of 17 Posts