Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice when using the digital rear view mirror, it’s blurry and at times, unusable?

I try spraying the rear water on it to clean. But it’s hazy and blurry and at night, all I see is halos from other headlights. During the day, it’s just hazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I first got my truck it was clear, but I've noticed, as you have, that it has gotten blurry. I'm going to take a cloth and wipe the camera down and see if it helps.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The halos are normal. Bright lights seem to really affect it. I’m assume it’s because they are using some type of IR image enhancement or pseudo night vision at night.

If someone is riding your butt with headlights at a certain height, it’s unavoidable that the image will be unusable. It’s a field of view thing. Without multiple cameras, that’s going to happen.

It’s why you have the ability to switch between mirror and camera.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wiped mine earlier today with a wet cloth and then wiped it dry and it improved a lot (day and night). I purposely use the camera because my wife and I share the truck and everything is set through memory except the rear view mirror. When she drives it, she flips it as a mirror and when I drive it, I flip back to the camera. This way there's really no adjusting no matter who drives. it seems like I'm going to have to use the mirror when the roads are wet (rain or snow), which isn't a bid deal, but it will be bothersome as my brain has adjusted to the depth focus of the camera....which took a couple of days.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
478 Posts
Anyone else notice when using the digital rear view mirror, it’s blurry and at times, unusable?

I try spraying the rear water on it to clean. But it’s hazy and blurry and at night, all I see is halos from other headlights. During the day, it’s just hazy.
Are you talking about the camera view?

You know that's only supposed to be used if you are driving with a lot of stuff in the back of your vehicle and you cannot see out the back window? The camera view doesn't give you the same view compared to the normal view, you actually get a reduced view if you the camera view which could make it a safety issue if you are not careful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wiped mine earlier today with a wet cloth and then wiped it dry and it improved a lot (day and night). I purposely use the camera because my wife and I share the truck and everything is set through memory except the rear view mirror. When she drives it, she flips it as a mirror and when I drive it, I flip back to the camera. This way there's really no adjusting no matter who drives. it seems like I'm going to have to use the mirror when the roads are wet (rain or snow), which isn't a bid deal, but it will be bothersome as my brain has adjusted to the depth focus of the camera....which took a couple of days.
I’ll have to try that. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you talking about the camera view?

You know that's only supposed to be used if you are driving with a lot of stuff in the back of your vehicle and you cannot see out the back window? The camera view doesn't give you the same view compared to the normal view, you actually get a reduced view if you the camera view which could make it a safety issue if you are not careful.
yes I get that but when used it’s almost unusable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You know that's only supposed to be used if you are driving with a lot of stuff in the back of your vehicle and you cannot see out the back window?
The owner's manual doesn't recommend or restrict its use to just that scenario. I don't think there's any reason not to use it all the time if you want to.

The camera view doesn't give you the same view compared to the normal view, you actually get a reduced view if you the camera view which could make it a safety issue if you are not careful.
I wonder if yours needs adjusting or something because I can see a much wider field of view behind the vehicle with the camera than with the glass. Check the "zoom" setting perhaps?

The manual mentions "Depending on the height of the lights of the vehicle behind, the area around the vehicle may appear white and blurry" but I have only seen it as "foggy" as in your image on one occasion, and I think it may actually have been condensation on the lens due to the weather at the time. It cleared up on its own and was much clearer the next time I drove at night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was actually when it was “good”. Usually it’s worse. But always just as blurry.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I use the digital camera instead of the mirror all the time. I don't see any reason not to use it.

aZyn, if you can't improve that by wiping it clean, you may need to see the dealer about it. It should be a lot better than that. There are two cameras back there - the camera for the 12" screen is separate from the one for the rearview mirror, so make sure you're cleaning both. (Not sure which is which off the top of my head - I just check both.)

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum
127 Posts
I have never had any issue with mine and for some reason even after driving in the rain or snow the rearview mirror camera lens always seems to be clearer/cleaner than the reverse camera. I am guessing that's why the reverse camera has a washer and the rearview one doesn't.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
463 Posts

View attachment 323453
Is the mirror in adjustment mode? I have that same mirror in my Platinum and Rav4xse and I don't remember the homelink, contrast or brightness setting icons in the mirror at times other than when making adjustments,and if the homelink buitton is pressed I get a green transmit signal .....but, at night the only icon in the mirror is the camera icon in the upper right corner. With nightime street lighting like in the windshield, at medium contrast and brightness the image is darker, but much sharper than in the photo..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know I'm late but the rear view camera is inside the car at the top of the hatch, whereas the back up camera is outside... Thats why the rear view should always be clearer than the back up cam.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Plat
47 Posts
I know I'm late but the rear view camera is inside the car at the top of the hatch, whereas the back up camera is outside... Thats why the rear view should always be clearer than the back up cam.
Is this for a 4th generation (2020+) Highlander?
I thought all 4th generation Highlanders had the rear view mirror and backup cameras side by side just above the license plate.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum
127 Posts
Is this for a 4th generation (2020+) Highlander?
I thought all 4th generation Highlanders had the rear view mirror and backup cameras side by side just above the license plate.
You are definitely correct and they are side by side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are definitely correct and they are side by side.
He’s correct that there are two cameras there but he’s wrong about what those two cameras are…

The camera used by the mirror is in fact mounted INSIDE the vehicle, like Berv85 said. On the inside, near the top of the hatch, looking out the rear window.

One look at the digital rear view mirror and you should notice the view is much higher than any view those two cameras near the license plate could provide.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
949 Posts
He’s correct that there are two cameras there but he’s wrong about what those two cameras are…

The camera used by the mirror is in fact mounted INSIDE the vehicle, like Berv85 said. On the inside, near the top of the hatch, looking out the rear window.

One look at the digital rear view mirror and you should notice the view is much higher than any view those two cameras near the license plate could provide.
Then it is really 3 rearward facing cameras.

So why two cameras near the license plate?

One back up, yes. But the other? Bird's eye?

Must be too late, I am not understanding........

BTW, I never use the digital mirror. Never a need.... and it is crappy in low light situations anyways. My rear seats are usually down and the last row head rests are always down (unless my daughter happens to decide to sleep way in the back....)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought it was the 360 degree camera

But it turns out I’m 100% wrong. Manual says it IS next to the reverse camera! My bad.
Also it says activating the rear wiper also cleans the rear view mirror cam lens. Gonna have to check that out.

I love the digital rear view.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum
127 Posts
I thought it was the 360 degree camera View attachment 337495
But it turns out I’m 100% wrong. Manual says it IS next to the reverse camera! My bad.
Also it says activating the rear wiper also cleans the rear view mirror cam lens. Gonna have to check that out.

I love the digital rear view.
You beat me to posting what is in the owner manual on the location of the camera for the digital rearview camera haha. The washer is to clean the back up camera and not the digital rearview mirror camera lens though. It work in conjunction with the rear window washer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts