Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking for a good, quality directional tire for an 08 Corolla. I am tired of the asymmetrical tire and want to go back to the directional due to the large amount of rain we recieve here in Tampa, Florida.

If I could get some opinions or someone point me the right way, that would be great. As a heads up, I found ACCELERA® 1200000046 - 651 (V) from carid.com, at 54$a tire. Please let me know your thoughts, even if you arent a fan of directional tires and think there is a viable alternative to amazing grip in rain.

Regards,
TBLightning04
Tampa, Fl

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you like directional tires, get them installed at Walmart since their lifetime balance/rotation includes the flip/remount necessary for directional tires. This is the main reason I don't like directional tires.

Your tire size is 195/65-15, right? What kind of tires do you have on now?

Stick to name-brand tires. An asymmetric name-brand tire is better than a directional cheap tire. And touring tires will be better in the rain than max performance tires.

Even though it's not directional, the Goodyear Excellence would probably be the best tire for you. The Vredestein Sportrac 5 is also a good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Responding

hey thanks for the response. So yes, my tire size is 195/65-15. What kind of tires do you have on now? --I have no name tires that are shit in the rain so this is why i want to replace them with directional. THank you so much for the suggestions.

I went into tire kingdom with my questions and they recommended the asymmetrical "Sumitomo HTR A/S P02. it has almost the same design as a directional and i hear is good in the rain for an all seasonal.

Anyways I will check out the tires you sent over and let you know whaat i come up with!? Cheers

-TBLIGHTNING04

·
Registered
452 Posts
Check out the ratings of different tires on tirerack. Sumitomo tires seems to be outperformed by others - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=221

Also check out the in the thread and the particular post at - http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-9th-gen-corolla-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/1413986-time-new-tires-2.html#post11849498

Any tire you choose, do check the comparison at tirerack for getting the best. I got the General Altimax RT43. A little more $$ but much better ratings.

PS: We share the same weather :smile:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Directional tires on a 2008 Corolla ! Unless this is a modified track day vehicle that makes no sense. Just get four decent all weather tires and rotate on schedule.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Directional tires on a 2008 Corolla ! Unless this is a modified track day vehicle that makes no sense. Just get four decent all weather tires and rotate on schedule.
OP lives in Florida, no need for all-season tires

Grand touring summer tires are probably best for his needs :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts