Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Recently joined the forum because I purchased a 2018 Highlander XLE. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the open door indicator that shows on the instrument panel or what fuse to remove to turn this off? It stays on for 20 minutes whenever a door is opened or if a door is closed and the lift gate or another door is still open. I ended up running my battery really low while doing some work in the Highlander recently. I'm taking it on a campsite trip for the first time so doors will be opened and closed frequently and I don't want to be stuck at a campground with a dead battery, even though I have jumper cables. I've looked on the Internet for a detailed schematic of the fuse boxes but no luck and the manual is pretty useless with this information. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gauge Speedometer Automotive design Measuring instrument Auto part

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2018 XLE. If I open /close a door, the indicator goes off in a second or two. Doesn't seem like this would wear down a battery in any case.
Just tried opening door, indicator shows, pressed the little rubber door switch on driver door pillar & indicator went out right away.
I suppose you could pull the switch (one screw) and disconnect them, but then the car would probably beep for driving with the door open.
I like to leave my headlights on all the time, and was initially irritated that they stayed on seemingly forever if I turned the car off in the ferry line and just sat there. I used to open and close the door to turn them off without using the headlight switch, but eventually did a hack detailed here :

Don't know what the solution is for you, but I'm interested in what you find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lopezislandjohn. Mine goes off once all doors and the rear hatch is closed, I'm looking for a way to disable this indicator (preferably without removing the door switches) since the rear hatch will be left open to access camping items. It will go off after 20 minutes but as soon as we open a door and close it (with the hatch left open) the indicator starts the cycle again and stays on for another 20 minutes.

Also I turned my headlight switch completely off (DRL off) when done driving so the headlights don't stay on after shutting off the vehicle. Nice safety feature but another battery drain.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Search the forum for how to leave the hatch open while driving, without the beeper sounding. Useful for driving with long things sticking out the back. Basically it's pushing a little latchy thing to make the door think it's closed. Would at least help with leaving the back open. There's another similar hack for the back glass if you have that option. If you can't find it, I'll look I up later. Gotta get on the ferry.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That indicator isn't why your battery drained. Not 100% sure how Toyota's computer network operates but most vehicles require all the doors to be closed for all the modules to go to sleep. When they are awake they consume a lot more power.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,879 Posts
For the periods you'll be camping and frequently leaving the doors open, you can tape over the door pins to keep them depressed after you park. Duct tape will leave residue on your paint, but will clean up easily with Goof-Off or Goo-Gone.
Really no other solution, the door pin switches are integrated with a number of systems and not likely on a separate fuse, as they simply supply a logic ground connection to the ECU.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That indicator isn't why your battery drained. Not 100% sure how Toyota's computer network operates but most vehicles require all the doors to be closed for all the modules to go to sleep. When they are awake they consume a lot more power.
I agree because other things like dome lights and using the lift gate a few times also used the battery, but this indicator is taking draw from the battery so I'd like to turn it off completely while parked at the campground. I've turned off the interior lights and disabled the automatic lift gate feature to draw less. Every little bit helps when parked for days without running the vehicle. If I could find the fuse for that I'd be happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the periods you'll be camping and frequently leaving the doors open, you can tape over the door pins to keep them depressed after you park. Duct tape will leave residue on your paint, but will clean up easily with Goof-Off or Goo-Gone.
Really no other solution, the door pin switches are integrated with a number of systems and not likely on a separate fuse, as they simply supply a logic ground connection to the ECU.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to disable the door switches. I don't want to pull the fuse for these, rather the fuse for the indicator on the dash. I'm surprised I can't find a detailed description of the fuse panels for the Highlander.

My temporary solution has been leaving the top glass portion of the rear hatch open and closing the latch mechanism with a screwdriver so the system thinks all doors are closed. When I need to close it I just push the button to open it on the back and close the glass door.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,879 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't want to disable the door switches. I don't want to pull the fuse for these, rather the fuse for the indicator on the dash. I'm surprised I can't find a detailed description of the fuse panels for the Highlander.

My temporary solution has been leaving the top glass portion of the rear hatch open and closing the latch mechanism with a screwdriver so the system thinks all doors are closed. When I need to close it I just push the button to open it on the back and close the glass door.
The dash display is driven by the ECU. There is no separate fuse for the display that won't also kill power to the ECU, which will impact door locks and other functions.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I doubt the dash display itself is going to use much power. Perhaps what you need is a small battery backup that can be solar-charged during the day. Clip it on to the battery terminals, as the lighter socket won't be on with the ignition off.
Here are pictures of the fuses in the under-dash box...

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
4,879 Posts
Can the interior lights not be set to not turn on when the door is opened?
I honestly don't know on this model. My '16 Corolla had a switch, I think my Avalon is done through the software.
That is what is draining the battery... not the display.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts