Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching a lot of videos with instructions on disabling this annoying chime, however there do not appear to be any on the 2019 or 2020 Toyotas.
Can anyone offer me a solution? I do understand on the importance of a seat belt, and it's notification, I just want the annoying and LOUD chime to go away when I have groceries in the front seat.
TIA

·
Registered
2018 Avalon XLE Premium V6
846 Posts
I can think of a several ways to disable the chime:
  • Buckle the passenger seat belt when your groceries are there
  • Ask your dealer to disable the passenger side seat belt alarm (They'll either say OK, they can't, they won't or that it isn't possible (doesn't hurt to ask, though)
  • If the dealer won't do it for you and it is a dealer possible customization, get a Mini-VCI cable and Techstream and disable the alarm yourself
  • If disabling the alarm is a Carista available customization, get a Carista and disable the alarm yourself
  • Insert a surrogate seat belt buckle thereby fooling the system into thinking the passenger seat buckle is actually buckled (not unlike sadeen's suggestion with the caveat that you can't buckle into it)
  • remove the pin associated with the buckle sensor from the electrical connector under the seat
Notes: Do your research and make sure you're doing the appropriate method for your needs. If only disabling the alarm via software, you will only disable the persistent alarm. The initial five dings will still occur alarm each time the car is started from scratch and an "occupant" is detected without a corresponding buckle signal. Personal safety is compromised by doing most of these,... understand the ramifications of your choice.

·
Registered
2017 HiHy Ltd
37 Posts
  • Insert a surrogate seat belt buckle thereby fooling the system into thinking the passenger seat buckle is actually buckled (not unlike sadeen's suggestion with the caveat that you can't buckle into it)
Yes you can buckle / use the seat belt normally if you get the product in the link I posted; I use it every day on driver's seat and works great.

·
Registered
2018 Avalon XLE Premium V6
846 Posts
Yes you can buckle / use the seat belt normally if you get the product in the link I posted; I use it every day on driver's seat and works great.
The "surrogate seat belt buckle" I was referring to looks like this:

As you can see, you "can't buckle into it". It has the advantage of being much smaller, lighter and cheaper. It is also less obtrusive if your objective is simply to disable the alarm while sitting in the seat. For fowlstack, this would not be a safety issue since he's trying to disable the alarm when there are groceries in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been watching a lot of videos with instructions on disabling this annoying chime, however there do not appear to be any on the 2019 or 2020 Toyotas.
Can anyone offer me a solution? I do understand on the importance of a seat belt, and it's notification, I just want the annoying and LOUD chime to go away when I have groceries in the front seat.
TIA
Personally I don't like annoying seat belt alarms and could care less that people get offended because I don't want to wear one or disable the thing. With that out of the way, a hand held tuner can disable it.

·
Registered
2021 Camry SE Nightshade AWD
25 Posts
TIA
Check out my post below. It's a sure way to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out my post below. It's a sure way to fix it.

Nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.