Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
TPMS: Disabling TPMS and TPMS light for 2006 Tacoma

This is a guide to disable the TPMS and the flashing TPMS light if you have installed aftermarket wheels that cannot accommodate the TPMS sensors. These steps are for the 2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab, but may also work for other models as well.

**IMPORTANT NOTE** As with all work involving electrical components, you should ALWAYS DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL before you begin to avoid possible damage to yourself and your truck!!

Ok here we go! Begin by removing the HVAC cluster panel. It simply pops out if you use a small flat head screwdriver and pry out on the corners as indicated by the yellow arrows in the picture below. You can then get your fingers under the bottom edge of the panel and pop the upper corners loose.

There are two connectors plugged into the back of the HVAC controls that you need to disconnect. (indicated by yellow arrows in the picture below)

Simply press down on the tabs (indicated by yellow arrows in the picture below) and pull the connectors straight out. Mine were a little tight so I used a small flat head screwdriver to help remove the connector from its socket.

Set the HVAC panel aside. You should now be able to look into the area where you removed the HVAC controls and see the black plastic TPMS module (indicated by yellow arrow in the picture below). The dotted green box indicates the original location of the module before I pulled it up to access the connector on the bottom.

The yellow arrows in the picture below indicate where the TPMS module was mounted. I was able to use a screwdriver to pop the right side of the TPMS module off of its metal mounting bracket on the right hand side. The left hand side was pretty much impossible to get to without removing more of the dash, so I left it attached and just pulled the TPMS module up so I could disconnect the the white connector that was plugged into the socket on the bottom of the TPMS module (indicated by the green arrow). Once this connector is unplugged the TPMS is disabled, but the flashing yellow light on your instrument panel will stay lit (no longer flashing).

In order to turn the yellow TPMS light off, you must ground the solid blue wire on the plug that was disconnected from the bottom of the TPMS module. The two pictures below should help you verify you have located the correct wire. MAKE SURE YOU LOCATE THE BLUE WIRE ON THE CONNECTOR THAT WAS PLUGGED INTO THE TPMS MODULE!! (don't accidentally cut a blue wire from one of the HVAC connectors you removed previously) The yellow arrows indicate the blue wire you are looking for, and the green arrows indicate where the blue wire was connected to the white plug before I removed it (third pin from the end of the connector).

After removing the blue wire from the white plug, you may need to strip the end so that you have enough wire to connect an extension wire to it. I used a small piece of wire I had laying around that was about 2 feet long. You can see in the picture below (yellow arrow) where I spliced the blue wire to my black extension wire, then wrapped the connection with electrical tape.

At this point, all you need to do is ground the blue wire, so any good ground location is fine. The best location I found was under the dash just to the left of the glove compartment. (indicated by yellow arrow in the picture below)

The picture below shows the glovebox removed, and the yellow arrow indicates the area where I made my ground connection.

You will need to look into this area to the left of the glove compartment and you will see a metal support bar near to the back of where you removed the HVAC control panel. The yellow arrow in the picture below shows the spot where I made my ground connection.

The black wire (indicated by the green arrow) is the extension wire I connected to the blue wire from the TPMS module plug. Once you make your ground connection, you're all done...except you still need to put your glovebox back on and reinstall the two HVAC plugs and snap the HVAC panel into place. Now reconnect your negative battery terminal and start up your truck...Ahhhhhh, no more TPMS light!!!

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Excellent description. Does anyone know if the electrical for an 06 is the same as for an 08 tacoma??
I believe I saw other posts that mentioned having to apply 12V to a wire on the 08 Tacomas instead of grounding the blue wire like on the 06 models. I'll see what I can find...

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's some info that might be useful. It's located at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170576&highlight=trailblzr00&page=8

This is the post from 'mudakas':
"As you know TPMS disable mod doesn't work on 2007 and up so here is solution instead of grounding blue wire on IJ1 connector you need to put +12V and done - light is off. It draws 6.7 mA only so put fuse 25-50mA to be on safe side."

Other posts have said that you only need to apply +5V instead of +12V. If you would rather use the +5V to avoid potential damage to your system, you can splice from a nearby +12V supply line and use a pair of resistors to create a simple voltage divider to give you the +5V you need.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am not aware of any nearby constant 5V supply that you could tap into.

Doubtful. Most everything in the truck is 12V. Some of the sensors probably use a 5V reference voltage, but that'd be underhood.
This is true, but I would try to avoid using the reference signal of another sensor for this purpose. Creating a 5V reference by branching off from a 12V power supply line (e.g. hot side of cigarette lighter socket) with a voltage divider is the safest method. Including an inline fuse with this setup will guarantee this circuit will not cause you any problems with the rest of your truck's electrical system.

· Taco Salad!!
2007 Tacoma DC LB
559 Posts
I had forgotten about my TPMS light on my truck, until last night. I had put my summer rims on last Sunday, and actually kinda started freaking out when the light went on. Oops, no biggie. Maybe I should do this mod :p

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My peice of black plastic tape over the icon is still working, it took me about 20 min to remove the lens and add the tape and put it back together.
This is just a "how to" for the people that want to get rid of the light the right way and not have black tape stuck in their instrument panel. Why spend 20min. putting in black tape when you can do this mod in 30?

· Registered
06 Tacoma 4x4
12 Posts
Awesome write up, thanks!!

I threw some new wheels and tires on a couple weeks ago and didn't transfer over my TPMS.

I just finished this, worked just as described; I had the blinking light, once I cut the blue wire it went sold, then as soon as I ground the blue wire out the light went off.

Thanks again:clap:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.