Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing an aftermarket stereo, as you probably already know, I lost my steering wheel controls.

To my surprise, that included ALL of the controls, including the display control. That’s the one that you use to cycle through the display in the middle of the gauges. Now I can’t reset my MPGs which is a little annoying.

The steering wheel control interfaces available to buy don’t seem to solve this, I think. It solves the issue of the volume buttons but not the others. Although I’m not sure. And that’s my question actually. Will it make my display button work again? The OEM stereo seemed to have completed the circuit from the display button, and not using that OEM harness makes it not work.

If I could do it all over again, I’d keep the stock head unit and use a line output converter for subwoofers

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,939 Posts
This seems to be a wiring issue for the aftermarket kit. I assume you didn’t use a patch harness to interface the head unit to the chassis.

If you visit crutchfield, they may have a solution for you to retain your steering wheel controls.

You’ll need to go through the wiring diagram to figure which wire is for the display. Check the fuse to the cluster also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems to be a wiring issue for the aftermarket kit. I assume you didn’t use a patch harness to interface the head unit to the chassis.

If you visit crutchfield, they may have a solution for you to retain your steering wheel controls.

You’ll need to go through the wiring diagram to figure which wire is for the display. Check the fuse to the cluster also.
I used a Metra wiring harness. I didn’t realize most of all of the steering wheel controls would be affected. Lane departure still works at least. I wonder if those interfaces would reconnect the display, voice command etc. because it uses an auto detect thing. I’m not sure

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
796 Posts
After installing an aftermarket stereo, as you probably already know, I lost my steering wheel controls.

To my surprise, that included ALL of the controls, including the display control. That’s the one that you use to cycle through the display in the middle of the gauges. Now I can’t reset my MPGs which is a little annoying.

The steering wheel control interfaces available to buy don’t seem to solve this, I think. It solves the issue of the volume buttons but not the others. Although I’m not sure. And that’s my question actually. Will it make my display button work again? The OEM stereo seemed to have completed the circuit from the display button, and not using that OEM harness makes it not work.

If I could do it all over again, I’d keep the stock head unit and use a line output converter for subwoofers
Go on Crutchfield and see what SWC adapter is for your car. Download the manual and look and see what functions it allows. Most allow you to program all the buttons that are on your SW. Toyota almost always tires all the buttons on the SW to either go through the radio or built-in clock or display if you have it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,496 Posts
Maestro-RR interface, if your HU supports it.
Allows user-programming of the functions of the buttons, including short and long-press.
Provides direct TPMS display on the HU, displays battery voltage, as well as CEL codes (and can clear codes)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts