Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 90 celica gt is running a little rough, i replaced the spark plugs and wires connecting to my cap. It is running a little bit better now but still seems like its firing on 3 cylinders. I'm leaking a little bit of oil into my distributor but that is common for this type of set up. I was wondering if that is the problem or do you think i need a new distributor? I was told to just replace the gasket for the distributor. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
391 Posts
yeah Mine is at it as well. I bought the O-ring and intend on replacing it soon, as well as cleaning the distributor, new plugs and wires and advancing the timing by 5 degrees.

John

·
Registered
443 Posts
canadiancelica, leave the timing where it is... dont advance or retard it. thats just a good way to kill your mottor sooner. as for the distributor.. just check to see if you have spark on all 4 wires.. and if you still have problums, just have the distributor bench tested.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
If you removed the dis, you gotta check and set timing.
DON'T drive the car until you set timing.
You'll need a timing light. Connect the light. Find the diagnostic connector, jump a wire between E1 and T. Set idle and timing with the timing light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the distributor o-ring is good, and oil is puddling in the disty cap, then the inner seal is bad, and actually pumping oil through the distributor. A good electrical shop can repair it with a new seal, maybe $100-150.
If you have to, search the net for a replacement. They can get pricey.
If you have the disty repaired, place a mark under the #1 plug wire tower on the housing. This will give the technician a refernce point when reassembling the dist.
Try to repair this as soon as possible, or drive as little as possible as you are putting some considerable strain on youe other ignition components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts