Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If your dome light works sometimes and not other times, it might be because the switch in the door is not working, or clogged with crud. Here's how to remove it, and clean it. This DIY is for a 2000 Camry LE, 1MZ-FE, but the switch looks to be the same for model years 1999/2000/2001 but it would be best to check the part number for your car. The part number for my car is 84231-AA030 and all 4 switches show the same part number.

There are switches on each door. Below is a picture of the location in the front door and the rear door, driver side. Passenger side is the same. Be aware that the switch is a single wire switch, and the ground is supplied by the bolt that holds it to the body. So any crud under the bolt/switch that might interfere with a good ground will cause the switch to work sometimes an not other times. Also be aware that the driver side switch also controls the chime for the key being inserted into the ignition. If the chime doesn't work, then it might be this switch. The other door switches only control the dome light.

First unscrew the bolt that holds the switch to the body using a 10mm socket. Rotate the switch until it comes out of the hole. They don't give you too much wire, so pull out as much as you can so the wire doesn't spring back, and get lost in the body. Having to fish it out would be a real PITA. Then depress the clip that holds the wire to the switch.

switch_car.jpg

Once the switch is removed you can take the rubber boot off and you will see the metal body of the switch that has two parts. Once the boot is removed, clamp the metal frame in a vice so you can remove the plastic part of the switch.

switch_bolt.jpg

With the switch mounted in the vice, wedge a thin putty knive between the metal and the plastic. Carefully pry the plastic piece out being careful not to lose the spring and the other small parts when the spring tension is released. Here's the various pieces of the switch. Notice that the copper "U" shaped thingie contacts the peg sticking out of the plastic piece.

switch_pry.jpg

Rough up the peg with a file or emery cloth to remove any oxidation, and file the rounded copper piece that contacts the metal peg. Then assemble the parts together being careful to align the copper piece with the metal peg. The switch comes with some white grease, and I'm sure it is di-electric, as well as for lubrication, so don't clean out all of the white grease. Leave some in the switch.

Then snap the entire switch assembly into the switch body. Put the rubber boot back on the switch and then connect the wire and bolt it back to the body.

switch_inside_contacts.jpg

If you're lazy you can just pick up a couple of these the next time you are at your local junk yard. They only cost me $1.00 each. The dealer wants $14.00 for each one. :eek: So get them from a junk yard, or clean them up yourself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very helpful fix. Though I had trouble using a puddy knife to seperate the plastic and metal parts. The plastic part had a few tabs that looked like they might break if seperated.

I decided to move by back door switch to the front door as a temporary fix.

I am not a fan of having the automatic light shut off system. I prefer to have a beeping sound when the lights are left on.

I wouldn't mind adding a beeping sound if there is a work around.

·
unofficial TN member
00 camry le 5s-fe
923 Posts
The part number for my car is 84231-AA030 and all 4 switches show the same part number.
They don't give you too much wire, so pull out as much as you can so the wire doesn't spring back, and get lost in the body. Having to fish it out would be a real PITA.
thanks ajkalian for including these 2 tips for the gen4. this turned a "30 minute fix" into a "5 minute fix"! :grin:

my driver door switch had been sticking recently to the point where when i open the doors during the day, i have to look for the door open dummy light on the dash to make sure all lights have been turned off (non-drl model). i also got tired of fumbling in the dark when the interior light dont illuminate at night.

i swapped the front driver switch with the rear driver switch in less than 5 minutes. i didnt see the point of spending $5+ on a salvage yard part or $15 on oem when im sure the other 3 door light switches will outlast the life/ownership period of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am fixing up a 93 Camry for my neice and the care has a strange issue. It has sunroof and there are 2 switches for it as well as a 3rd on/off switch for the dome light. The light works but it does not ever come on automatically when you open any of the doors i would assume there is a switch like most cars there would be a auto turn off switch some place. But i cant find where it might be the dimmer switch works on the dash light but it does not click or anything, so that not it. The door warning lights work when you open the doors but the only way to get the dome light on is to hit the on/off button. I have looked all over for a owners manual or something. But i cant find any help on this any place. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
On my 94 Camry, which is an XLE model, so it may be different from your car, the switch is on the dome light itself. It has on (which is on all the time), off (which is off all the time), and door (which only goes on when one of the doors is open). Check your dome light for the setting.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts