Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Those 3 wires sound like power, ground, and signal. I checked my diagrams and cannot find any link between the VSS wire and the OCV wire. The OCV is a 2 wire sensor with both wires going directly to the ECU (power and ground). The VSS is a 3 wire sensor with the Red/White wire going through a junction block to the 10A gauge fuse, a Brown ground wire, and a White/Green signal wire.

That most likely means pin 1 can be spliced to anything powered by the 10A gauge fuse or you may be able to run the wire directly to Junction Connector J5 which is located near the blower motor under the passenger side of the dash.

The Violet/White wire is for cruise control signal on 2ZZGE models. It's a split wire from the cluster with one going to the ECM and one going to the Cruise Control ECU. The Brown Wire isn't for speed signal, rather it's a ground wire which grounds multiple circuits at Junction Connectors J4/J5.

If you can connect Pin 1, ensure Pin 2 is grounded, and make sure the cluster is plugged in with the factory wires, you should get a signal.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
83 Posts

After doing some back probing on the 1zz interior harness I found one wire that stood out since it wasn't shared with any other pins on the 06 ce gauge cluster 40 pin connector. So I plugged the White w/Green stripe wire from the VSS connector into the vacant pin slot of the 2zz interior harness and it tied everything into the 2zz ecu. I now have a working speedometer and I'm able to hit lift =)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread! It gave me a lot of ideas. I have an 06 Corolla S and originally swapped to a LE cluster. I had found a XRS cluster that was higher in miles but finally hit that mark to do the swap and keep the original miles. Almost everything works great, EXCEPT, I have no warning sounds when i leave my lights on, or keys in the ignition turned to ACC. What gives, all the other clusters i have swapped with playing around worked up and down. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,575 Posts
The Philips screw for the gauge surround will not come out. Does anyone have a solution to help me out? Thanks.

·
More Fun in the Dirt
2005 Corolla
80 Posts
The Philips screw for the gauge surround will not come out. Does anyone have a solution to help me out? Thanks.
I assume youre talking about the plastic screw in the middle of the gauge shroud? I had a issue where I loosen it but it just kept spinning in place. So I took my hand and reached towards the backside of it and pulled down a bit to put some pressure on the screw so it would come out. Another method is using a interior remover to wedge between the dash and shroud just to put some pressure on the screw.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,575 Posts
Yes, that screw. How were you able to get your hand to squeeze the clip? I am not wanting to destroy the surround.

I was thinking of trying to go through the center vents to reach across. Because, going through the front could chip the shroud up and put stress marks in it as well. I will try and report back.

·
More Fun in the Dirt
2005 Corolla
80 Posts
Yes, that screw. How were you able to get your hand to squeeze the clip? I am not wanting to destroy the surround.

I was thinking of trying to go through the center vents to reach across. Because, going through the front could chip the shroud up and put stress marks in it as well. I will try and report back.
I didnt try to squeeze the clip, just pulled on the shroud to put some tension on the screw so when I would loosen it, it would actually thread itself out.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,575 Posts
Did your surround have stress marks? That would annoy me.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts