Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went ahead and going to put this all together in one topic because there is a lot of different posts with mixed information.

The reason I am going with the Curt, is because it allows the hands free tailgate to continue to work since the Curt hitch sits behind the sensor unlike the OEM you lose it completely with and have to relocate the sensor. The Curt is slightly lower than the OEM one as well, but you can flip the hitch ball receiver going up instead of down.

Tools:
1 - 10mm socket
1 - extension
1 - Rachet
1 - Tie Strap (Optional)

Parts:
1 - Toyota Tow Converter PN# PT725-48200
1 - Toyota 4 pin Wire Harness PN# PT725-48201
1 - Curt Hitch 13453

Link: Curt Hitch Installation below

Installation Procedure:

1. Move rear seat on driver 2nd row forward.

2. Pop this panel up and out with your hands. Start with the carpet side and pull up.

3. Remove cap off of screw with pry tool into the small slot at the top of it. This will expose the 10mm bolt hidden.

4. Remove 10mm Nut from behind the cover first before removing cup holders.

5. Pry up the cup holders panel with the plastic pry tool as seen. Easiest way was to use it upside down and stick it in and twist it. And it started to pop.

6. Remove cover.

7. Remove the bolt behind where the cup holder was.

8. Pull down the chrome hook and open the plastic cover inside(behind) it as seen in the pictures below. This exposes another 10mm nut and remove it.

Next Reply continued.

Reactions: Lees and __serge

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
9. Remove the door rubber seal by pulling it up and to the left.

10. Next Pull the panel from the window out to the inside of the car, it will take some force to pop it loose.

11. Next grab your Toyota OEM converter to install with 10mm bolt.

12. Pull panel away and install the Tow Converter into factory hole with supplied bolt. It will be difficult to get into there with two hands, but just work it in. There is a slot the bracket goes into and then put the bolt into it. Prevents it from turning the wrong direction. Twist the bolt into the hole as far as you can do it by hand, then use the rachet to install.

13. Next release the connector next to it that is tapped. It's the one to the right in the picture above. Just pull on it and the tape will break.

14. Insert that connector into the Tow Converter bottom with the release side out.

15. Put the interior back together the same way you took it apart. Make sure the panel snaps are lined up with the holes near the door before pushing it all the way in.

16. Once the interior is put together, go to engine compartment.

17. Pop engine, on the right side, there is a fuse box. Pop the panel open.

18. If you do not have the 30amp fuse installed, you will need to install the supplied 30amp that came with the tow converter in the highlighted red section above.

19. Close the fuse box back up.

Next Reply for continued.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
19. Go to rear of vehicle, driver side, and lay under the back end.

20. You will see a white connector cap that you will have to remove. Push in the left side of it and pull down.

21. Once removed, it will look like this.

22. Grab supplied Toyota 4 pin cable.

23. Wrap it over the bumper connection and connect it.

24. For now, I have it tie strapped to the metal body bracket till I get my hitch. This will be continued then. But if you have a hitch, you would route it to the mounting location on it, and mount this wire with the supplied screws to it.

·
Premium Member
2019 Avalon Limited, Advanced Safety Package, BlackVue DR-750 Dash Cam, Ceramic Pro Coating, XPel
682 Posts
Excellent documentation!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you everyone. Appreciate the kind words. Helps make the community grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
First off, agree with the props to @pimpin-tl !

I just had a question about this step:

2. Pop this panel up and out with your hands. Start with the carpet side and pull up.

View attachment 305702
Removing that panel is not in the installation sheet for the converter and I was wondering if in the end you found it to be necessary or if the side panel would have pulled out far enough to reach the converter mounting location without doing so?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, agree with the props to @pimpin-tl !

I just had a question about this step:

Removing that panel is not in the installation sheet for the converter and I was wondering if in the end you found it to be necessary or if the side panel would have pulled out far enough to reach the converter mounting location without doing so?
Unless you have tiny arms and hands, you really do need to pull the panel out like in my picture. It actually isn’t that hard to get it the amount I did. You don’t need to remove it or remove the bottom. Just release the upper half and lean it out while holding it back use your other hand to mount it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry for not being clear: I know the side panel needs to be opened (step 9 of your guide) but I was wondering about the floor panel earlier in your guide (step 2).

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for not being clear: I know the side panel needs to be opened (step 9 of your guide) but I was wondering about the floor panel earlier in your guide (step 2).
You know, you probably don’t need to do that step if you want to get behind the panel and just work with the tight space. That lower part was in the Toyota instructions so I included it but never removed the whole panel myself either.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ordered the Curt Hitch today. Will complete this diy once I receive it. :)

Reactions: mobgma

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll definitely have pictures, but not a video as I'll be the only one installing it. lol.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't even received my hitch yet. I'll post once I get it installed. :)

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems the place i ordered the hitch from realtruck.com is screwing around with me. Wont give me tracking or a response on where my order is. I finally opened a claim with PayPal since they can't answer it to get a refund and I'll order elsewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awesome - thank you! I installed the hitch on our last Rav and I wish someone posted as
Seems the place i ordered the hitch from realtruck.com is screwing around with me. Wont give me tracking or a response on where my order is. I finally opened a claim with PayPal since they can't answer it to get a refund and I'll order elsewhere.
I just ordered from autoanything.com. I chatted with an agent that made sure I received one of the 3 they had in stock, vs shooting me to back stock. I’ll let you know if it ships this week!

Also, do you have the Toyota Hitch Prep installed or did you do all the wiring yourself?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All the wiring is done by me as seen in the diy above. I just need the hitch itself to get here. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 20 of 163 Posts