Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD
40 Posts
I got my converter in today.

That was easy to install. Took me 30 minutes to do it. Though I think I heard a small plastic piece break in there when I put it back together.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I got my converter in today.

That was easy to install. Took me 30 minutes to do it. Though I think I heard a small plastic piece break in there when I put it back together.

Most likely a plastic clip fell off its c channel. You’ll have to remove it again to see and put it back on. Doubt you broke anything. They are pretty strong.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD
40 Posts
Most likely a plastic clip fell off its c channel. You’ll have to remove it again to see and put it back on. Doubt you broke anything. They are pretty strong.
I am not too worried about it. Don't want to spend the time trying to open it up again. Plus doing it by myself and getting my arm and hands in before was not fun. It can stay there.

·
Registered
2021 Platinum AWD
26 Posts
Did anybody have hitch installed by U haul , pros/cons???
How do I decide on what hitch ball and mount to purchase??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed the e-trailer Draw Tite hitch on my 2020 Highlander Limited FWD. I had already installed the factory Toyota harness and tow converter as indicated earlier in this thread. I also got the factory Toyota 4 blade harness that goes from behind the bumper cover and connects to the hitch itself.

The Draw Tite hitch I sourced from e-trailer about 240 shipped with a deal. I actually got it in November but weather stopped any install until today.

Everything went smoothly on the hitch install. Took about 2 hours. It fit to the frame without any issues at all. Since it weighs about 50 lbs, i had my son hold one side up and get the bolts started while i worked on the drivers side bolts.
NOTE it did not require dropping the exhaust or the spare tire !!!!! and it fit very easily. It is just heavy.....

That hitch actually comes with a mounted tab that the Toyota 4 blade harness bolts right up to. The nice part is that the 4 blade connector is right to the left of the hitch receiver . Then it just plugs into the existing factory harness behind the bumper cover

You still have to modify the plastic splash shield on the drivers side. I simply used a razor knife to mark the area, cut, test, cut, test again until i got it right.

The other issue was that the 2 bottom bumper cover supports that look triangular would not quite stretch back to the metal support they were originally hooked to with press studs . The kit included 2 large zip ties, so i used those. The bumper cover is very secure . It looks like a factory install with no distorted bumper cover.

Sum total was less than $400.

The Toyota dealer wanted $1300 plus the required bumper cover so very happy

link to etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Highlander/2020/DT84MR.html?VehicleID=2020117491

I'll post up a few pics for the finished install and what i did with the zip ties. Also the 4 blade connector.

If anyone has any questions, post up

Milburn

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD
40 Posts
Got a question....I have the receiver, the 4-pin and the tow converter installed on my XLE AWD. I put in a 2 inch ball hitch and hooked up to my girlfriend's dad trailer and I am not getting any lights to light up. I even took it off the lights off auto and turned them on manually and even turned the blinkers on. No lights on the trailer. Could the ground or pins be corroded on the trailer? Trying to get it ready so I can get some firewood for this spring and summer for my fire pit.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did anybody have hitch installed by U haul , pros/cons???
How do I decide on what hitch ball and mount to purchase??
I got a 2in ball 1 inch bolt shank. The mount was a 2 in drop/3/4in height increase in flipped mode. takes 5/8" pin.

My 5'x8' flat aluminum trailer sits pretty flat with the 2" drop. It is on 13 inch tires/wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a question....I have the receiver, the 4-pin and the tow converter installed on my XLE AWD. I put in a 2 inch ball hitch and hooked up to my girlfriend's dad trailer and I am not getting any lights to light up. I even took it off the lights off auto and turned them on manually and even turned the blinkers on. No lights on the trailer. Could the ground or pins be corroded on the trailer? Trying to get it ready so I can get some firewood for this spring and summer for my fire pit.

Did you check to see if the fuse for the Toyota is in place? Check under the hood, in the main fuse box, 30 amp. See much earlier in this thread for the exact location.
If fuse is there and is good, then check the trailer for ground and continuity.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD
40 Posts
Did you check to see if the fuse for the Toyota is in place? Check under the hood, in the main fuse box, 30 amp. See much earlier in this thread for the exact location.
If fuse is there and is good, then check the trailer for ground and continuity.
Yes I have that fuse installed. But I will definitely double check it is in the correct spot and make sure the fuse is good.

My girlfriend's father will check the ground and take a multimeter and check it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the Curt installed on a XSE? Wondering how it looks since the XSE rear bumper is slightly different. Debating if I should go OEM (pricey!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those that want Toyota hitch, looks like you can now build Highlander on toyota.com and add a hitch to the Limited and Platinum. My dealership is now also offering the OEM instal but it costs an arm and a leg.
Can I ask what is an arm and a leg. Bought my wide 2020 Premium and would like to put a hitch on it.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD V6
15 Posts
Does anybody have pics of the left and right plastic panel mods? Where you have to trim them to reinstall after the hitch has been put on? I just got the Drawtite for my 2021 XLE. It did not come w/ any trimming instructions or guidlines. If someone has pics of the trimmed panels prior to putting them back on that would be a grreat addition to this great thread!!

·
Registered
2021 Platinum AWD
26 Posts
Got my tow converter and wire harness installed , just cant figure out where to clip toyota wire harness to, with 2 clips that it come with. Any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Platinum AWD
26 Posts
Finally done. Thanks pimpin and rest of the best. Did curt hitch and factory harnesses. Sensor is very finicky , sometimes works with first time sometimes tenth. Im not to worried about it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Great job! Did you try kicking on the right side of the receiver? Seems to work for me there more often than not.

Finally done. Thanks pimpin and rest of the best. Did curt hitch and factory harnesses. Sensor is very finicky , sometimes works with first time sometimes tenth. Im not to worried about it. View attachment 325699

·
Registered
2021 Platinum AWD
26 Posts
Great job! Did you try kicking on the right side of the receiver? Seems to work for me there more often than not.
Tried left side few times and never worked, right side sometimes.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE AWD V6
15 Posts
Pimpin-tl
Thank you for the great tutorial! I studied your instructions then went onto Etrailer and ordered the Drawtite and wiring pigtail. Then went onto OEM parts and got the converter. My 30A fuse was already installed on my 21 XLE. Hitch went in great. No need to remove the right side plastic guard and no need to lower the exhaust. I trimmed the left side splash shield to fit around the hitch with the suggested Dremel tool.
I went to Harbor freight and got the plastic trim tools and installed converter per your instruction. Hitch and converter installed in less than 2 hrs! I like the look of the Drawtite , but the paint sucks. I like the built in bracket for the plug. I purchased the bracket to hold the 4way and it bolts to the built in bracket. A nice clean look.

81 - 100 of 171 Posts