Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Great thread, thanks @pimpin-tl and the other contributors for all the input! I had planned to install an OEM hitch on my new ride, but I think you've convinced me to go with a Curt. Question:

On the Curt, what's the distance between receiver end and center of the retaining pin, such as shown here for the OEM hitch? On Curt's website, it looks bigger than 1.25", but it's hard to tell.
Here you go. I didn’t have my key so I just centered the tape measure under it. Also a picture of how far out it sticks past the bumper.

Reactions: furboo59 and whoa

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the wiring harness and converter on my 2021 hybrid. Ordered LED lights and connected them. Fuse is 30 amps and working. I only get 2/10 leds to light up on each light. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the wiring harness and converter on my 2021 hybrid. Ordered LED lights and connected them. Fuse is 30 amps and working. I only get 2/10 leds to light up on each light. Am I missing anything?
Figured it out, the led lights had incorrect wiring. The must have installed the diodes in opposite way so when I switched the white and black wires everything worked fine.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Hybrid AWD
35 Posts
I installed the Curt 13453 hitch today, and my kick sensors are now very unreliable. It used to work on the left and right sides, if I was lined up with either bumper sensor closest to the center. Now at best, the left side will work about 1 in 10 times.

What do the sensors actually look like? My hitch was bent in shipping, and I struggled a bit getting it in, so I may be knocked the sensors.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum Hybrid AWD
13 Posts
There is no difference between 2020 and 2021. I did install harness first , but i dont see problem if you do hitch first and harness later.
ACES! Thanks for your response! Will probably order the Curt soon. The kick open is disappointing without the hitch, pretty sure we won't miss any detriment after installing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the Curt 13453 hitch today, and my kick sensors are now very unreliable. It used to work on the left and right sides, if I was lined up with either bumper sensor closest to the center. Now at best, the left side will work about 1 in 10 times.

What do the sensors actually look like? My hitch was bent in shipping, and I struggled a bit getting it in, so I may be knocked the sensors.
I would be VERY hesitant with a bent hitch. If you bought from a reputable seller they should be fine to replace. Our kick sensors weren't the purchase factor so we wouldn't miss a decline in function, but if you can see a clear malalignment you are definitely justified to request a replacement!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would be VERY hesitant with a bent hitch. If you bought from a reputable seller they should be fine to replace. Our kick sensors weren't the purchase factor so we wouldn't miss a decline in function, but if you can see a clear malalignment you are definitely justified to request a replacement!
oh, THAT'S the sensor?? Good to know, is it easily detached and simply moved a few inches for hitch adjustment?

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh, THAT'S the sensor?? Good to know, is it easily detached and simply moved a few inches for hitch adjustment?
It has pre positioned mounts and clips so not really able to move at all. But yes, that is the oem kick sensor if you dont have the oem hitch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@bbguy5 Thanks! I think I now see it in my car, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing: Is the view of your photo of the part, if installed, looking at the backside of the bumper out the rear of the car? Where are the detectors in your photo that are picking up motion? When laying down under the car, I expected to see sensors pointing down from above, but I don't see anything like in my car and don't see them on your photo.

Thanks for the concern on the bent hitch and your point is valid, but I don't think it was that bad.

·
Registered
76 Posts
there Are two wires that run the full length of the housing (follow the red wire, the the same on the opposite side with the black). Those are the sensors. If my memory serves me right, just spin the part 180 degreesin my picture and that should be the orientaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
5. Remove the rest of the snap plugs on the rear of the bumper that stretch across where the hitch needs to go.

View attachment 309018

6.. Get yourself two jackstands, or jacks and sit the hitch on them like below in the pictures. You can slowly notch it up on each side till it gets to the height you need. On the passenger side, you will need to wedge it above the muffler, but also above that plastic deflector that is above the muffler tip. That can be bent down while you push the hitch up.

View attachment 309031

7. Once you get it high enough, start to work in the back bolt towards the front of the car. Once you get it turned on a couple of threads each side, then you can start with the rest. This may require help, but I was able to do it myself with the help of the jack stands.

View attachment 309020

View attachment 309021

8. Tighten them all up to 86 ft. lb. of torque with a Torque Wrench.

9. Next pull the trailer harness out, that you wired earlier in this DIY, and tie strap it to the bottom of the hitch. I didn't have another way to mount it, but the tie straps should work fine for this. Used the tie straps to route the wire behind the hitch bar as well.

View attachment 309022

View attachment 309023

9. Cut the cover in the two places you see in the pictures below. I did not follow Curts instructions on the cut, I wanted the holes to be smaller. So I put it up, saw where it needed to be cut, and cut, checked, cut, checked, cut and it was good.

View attachment 309024

View attachment 309025

View attachment 309026

10. Reinstall all the bolts and snap plugs back into the cover, mudflap area, and the flaps that come down to the bumper area.

11. Done!
Question: (first of all thanks for all of this great detailed info)... I bought this same Curt hitch, and I thought I read on this forum that it will allow the hands-free liftgate to still work? I notice there is mention in your notes of having to MOVE the sensor? Is that true? How does one move the sensor? Is it very straight-forward? Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Question: (first of all thanks for all of this great detailed info)... I bought this same Curt hitch, and I thought I read on this forum that it will allow the hands-free liftgate to still work? I notice there is mention in your notes of having to MOVE the sensor? Is that true? How does one move the sensor? Is it very straight-forward? Thanks for your response.
I didn't move my sensor, and most who did the Curt didn't. I just kick on the right side of the hitch receiver and the tailgate usually works. I think I mentioned that until Toyota comes with a way to move the sensor for the OEM hitch to work with it.

Reactions: DrivingRhythm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks @pimpin-tl , your last post helped. I just found that to the right of the receiver, just to the left of the bumper sensor, is the perfect spot! Opens every time now. I think it may be more sensitive to location now, or at least different, with the hitch on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
19. Go to rear of vehicle, driver side, and lay under the back end.

20. You will see a white connector cap that you will have to remove. Push in the left side of it and pull down.

View attachment 305720

View attachment 305721

21. Once removed, it will look like this.

View attachment 305722

22. Grab supplied Toyota 4 pin cable.

View attachment 305723

23. Wrap it over the bumper connection and connect it.

View attachment 305724

24. For now, I have it tie strapped to the metal body bracket till I get my hitch. This will be continued then. But if you have a hitch, you would route it to the mounting location on it, and mount this wire with the supplied screws to it.
thank you for the detailed instructions. Did you disconnect the negative terminal from the rear battery before the converter and harness installation? I did not see this step in your pictorials.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
thank you for the detailed instructions. Did you disconnect the negative terminal from the rear battery before the converter and harness installation? I did not see this step in your pictorials.
Rear battery? I’m only aware of one on the non-hybrid. Maybe the hybrid has another in the back. But no, I didn’t disconnect any battery. It’s not needed to just plug that tow converter in. If you aren’t comfortable doing it with it, just unplug the negative.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts