Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quick question. I only plan on using the hitch for a bike rack or rear basket. Is this hitch from uhaul the same as the Curt you installed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear battery? I’m only aware of one on the non-hybrid. Maybe the hybrid has another in the back. But no, I didn’t disconnect any battery. It’s not needed to just plug that tow converter in. If you aren’t comfortable doing it with it, just unplug the negative.
Thank you. Yes the 12V battery is located in the back of the hybrid model.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Hybrid AWD
37 Posts
Quick question. I only plan on using the hitch for a bike rack or rear basket. Is this hitch from uhaul the same as the Curt you installed
That's a Curt 13534, as opposed to13453. It looks like a round tube, where as the 13453 has square tubing. Uhaul claims the 13534 fits, but etrailer.com does not (unlike the 13453).

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's a Curt 13534, as opposed to13453. It looks like a round tube, where as the 13453 has square tubing. Uhaul claims the 13534 fits, but etrailer.com does not (unlike the 13453).
It says CMF13453 on uhaul website. That is actually 13534?

·
Registered
73 Posts
After debating between getting the Curt hitch vs OEM, since I'll only be using it for bike rack, it didn't make sense to spend so much on the OEM. Just ordered the Curt hitch from Uhaul last night. Looks easier to install than the OEM as well. Will definitely be using your instructions to install even though it's only $40 for the installation fee but I prefer to cut the underbody trims myself.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After debating between getting the Curt hitch vs OEM, since I'll only be using it for bike rack, it didn't make sense to spend so much on the OEM. Just ordered the Curt hitch from Uhaul last night. Looks easier to install than the OEM as well. Will definitely be using your instructions to install even though it's only $40 for the installation fee but I prefer to cut the underbody trims myself.
View attachment 330756
This is the one I want to do. Just a bit concerned with the kick sensor.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Hybrid AWD
37 Posts
One thing about a bike rack: In another thread, it was discussed that the dimension from the front of the receiver to the center of the pin hole is about 1.25" for the OEM rack. I have not confirmed this. But apparently, some racks require this dimension to be at least 1.5". I was concerned and @pimpin-tl was kind enough to measure the Curt, earlier in this thread, and it's over 2". That sold me on the Curt.

I'm now looking at getting a Kuat rack. I can't find anywhere that Kuat gives this spec, so it might not be an issue for the Kuat or your rack. Kuats are really nice, but you'll spend on it what you saved buying a Curt.

I'm still very happy with the Curt. My kick sensor does seem a bit more finicky with the rack, but it was finicky before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
View attachment 330756
Just received an update from Uhaul that the CMF13453 is currently on backorder for 4-6 weeks, due to a production delay. Kind of disappointed. Was hoping to get it this week so I can carry my bikes on a road trip. Guess I'll have to put the bikes in the trunk for now.

Reactions: Shihman

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Platinum Hybrid AWD
18 Posts
After committing to getting the Curt, it is also now not available anywhere online (including Curt, eTrailer, and Amazon)!! Kinda strange. I found that it was available through a local Campways store, but they still have to order it too. Will see if they have a way around the shortage. Bonus is they're selling it for $270 which is less than anywhere else I found online. Win, win? We'll see...

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just installed the e-trailer Draw Tite hitch on my 2020 Highlander Limited FWD. I had already installed the factory Toyota harness and tow converter as indicated earlier in this thread. I also got the factory Toyota 4 blade harness that goes from behind the bumper cover and connects to the hitch itself.

The Draw Tite hitch I sourced from e-trailer about 240 shipped with a deal. I actually got it in November but weather stopped any install until today.

Everything went smoothly on the hitch install. Took about 2 hours. It fit to the frame without any issues at all. Since it weighs about 50 lbs, i had my son hold one side up and get the bolts started while i worked on the drivers side bolts.
NOTE it did not require dropping the exhaust or the spare tire !!!!! and it fit very easily. It is just heavy.....

That hitch actually comes with a mounted tab that the Toyota 4 blade harness bolts right up to. The nice part is that the 4 blade connector is right to the left of the hitch receiver . Then it just plugs into the existing factory harness behind the bumper cover

You still have to modify the plastic splash shield on the drivers side. I simply used a razor knife to mark the area, cut, test, cut, test again until i got it right.

The other issue was that the 2 bottom bumper cover supports that look triangular would not quite stretch back to the metal support they were originally hooked to with press studs . The kit included 2 large zip ties, so i used those. The bumper cover is very secure . It looks like a factory install with no distorted bumper cover.

Sum total was less than $400.

The Toyota dealer wanted $1300 plus the required bumper cover so very happy

link to etrailer: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Highlander/2020/DT84MR.html?VehicleID=2020117491

I'll post up a few pics for the finished install and what i did with the zip ties. Also the 4 blade connector.

If anyone has any questions, post up

Milburn
Hey. Did you ever post pictures of your install? The Draw Tite 76336 (Etrailer: DT84MR) is the only one available in my area now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
After committing to getting the Curt, it is also now not available anywhere online (including Curt, eTrailer, and Amazon)!! Kinda strange. I found that it was available through a local Campways store, but they still have to order it too. Will see if they have a way around the shortage. Bonus is they're selling it for $270 which is less than anywhere else I found online. Win, win? We'll see...
Yup same here -- Toronto, no stock. Might go for the Draw Tite 76336.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just received an update from Uhaul that the CMF13453 is currently on backorder for 4-6 weeks, due to a production delay. Kind of disappointed. Was hoping to get it this week so I can carry my bikes on a road trip. Guess I'll have to put the bikes in the trunk for now.
After searching everywhere online and all said out of stock, I went on the Curt website and searched for a local authorized dealer. Found a local place 20 minutes away that had it in stock. Got it for $190 which was cheaper than Uhaul. Will be installing it tonight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
After searching everywhere online and all said out of stock, I went on the Curt website and searched for a local authorized dealer. Found a local place 20 minutes away that had it in stock. Got it for $190 which was cheaper than Uhaul. Will be installing it tonight.
Congrats, man! Genuinely happy for you. Not as easy here in the great white North though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats, man! Genuinely happy for you. Not as easy here in the great white North though.
Thanks man! I hope you'll get lucky finding one or maybe it will be in stock sooner than expected.

Here's some pics of the finished install. It would have gone a lot smoother if I had a second set of hands but I got it to work with some jack stands.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts