Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
After searching everywhere online and all said out of stock, I went on the Curt website and searched for a local authorized dealer. Found a local place 20 minutes away that had it in stock. Got it for $190 which was cheaper than Uhaul. Will be installing it tonight.
hi. Curious what state you’re in? Trying to locate a Curt Hitch too and it seems to be back ordered so many places

·
Registered
73 Posts
hi. Curious what state you’re in? Trying to locate a Curt Hitch too and it seems to be back ordered so many places
Hey I'm from the great state of Texas! Lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went ahead and going to put this all together in one topic because there is a lot of different posts with mixed information.

The reason I am going with the Curt, is because it allows the hands free tailgate to continue to work since the Curt hitch sits behind the sensor unlike the OEM you lose it completely with and have to relocate the sensor. The Curt is slightly lower than the OEM one as well, but you can flip the hitch ball receiver going up instead of down.

Tools:
1 - 10mm socket
1 - extension
1 - Rachet
1 - Tie Strap (Optional)

Parts:
1 - Toyota Tow Converter PN# PT725-48200
1 - Toyota 4 pin Wire Harness PN# PT725-48201
1 - Curt Hitch 13453

Link: Curt Hitch Installation below

Installation Procedure:

1. Move rear seat on driver 2nd row forward.

View attachment 305701

2. Pop this panel up and out with your hands. Start with the carpet side and pull up.

View attachment 305702

View attachment 305703

3. Remove cap off of screw with pry tool into the small slot at the top of it. This will expose the 10mm bolt hidden.

View attachment 305706

4. Remove 10mm Nut from behind the cover first before removing cup holders.

5. Pry up the cup holders panel with the plastic pry tool as seen. Easiest way was to use it upside down and stick it in and twist it. And it started to pop.

View attachment 305704

6. Remove cover.

View attachment 305705

7. Remove the bolt behind where the cup holder was.

View attachment 310066

8. Pull down the chrome hook and open the plastic cover inside(behind) it as seen in the pictures below. This exposes another 10mm nut and remove it.

View attachment 305708

View attachment 305709

View attachment 305710

Next Reply continued.
Thank you! This is the definitive post for installing the wiring converter. Just installed on my 2021 highlander hybrid. Went smoothly and works great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
After searching everywhere online and all said out of stock, I went on the Curt website and searched for a local authorized dealer. Found a local place 20 minutes away that had it in stock. Got it for $190 which was cheaper than Uhaul. Will be installing it tonight.
Are you from Houston, TX? Do you know if the place you got the hitch from still have any in stock?

Placed an order online which stated that the hitch is backorder and will be shipped at the end of the month (May). But now the ship date have pushed back even further until the end of June.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Finally, after about two months of scouting for hitch sources, I bit the bullet. This is a DrawTite 76336, low stock everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. The Curt 13453 is sold out and back ordered from the ten sources I called. I opted for the 4 pin too. Not bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Finally, after about two months of scouting for hitch sources, I bit the bullet. This is a DrawTite 76336, low stock everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. The Curt 13453 is sold out and back ordered from the ten sources I called. I opted for the 4 pin too. Not bad. View attachment 337210
View attachment 337211
View attachment 337213
I have a very similar Draw-Tite (76156) hitch on a 2018 Highlander (3rd generation).
I like it because it fits nicely under the bumper. The only negative is that you can't use it with weight-distributing hitch.
Also, I see that you opted for 4-pin connector. Is your trailer equipped with hydraulic surge brakes? Because otherwise you're limited to 1000 lb only (the maximum Toyota allows for unbraked trailers).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a very similar Draw-Tite (76156) hitch on a 2018 Highlander (3rd generation).
I like it because it fits nicely under the bumper. The only negative is that you can't use it with weight-distributing hitch.
Also, I see that you opted for 4-pin connector. Is your trailer equipped with hydraulic surge brakes? Because otherwise you're limited to 1000 lb only (the maximum Toyota allows for unbraked trailers).
I don’t have a trailer. It’s just for any eventual utility trailer runs. Weight distribution: yup. I am aware and still need to research on that part. I believe even the OEM won’t take weight distribution ones; unsure though. Have you towed with yours?
In case I need a 7 pin in the future, I’ll cross the bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don’t have a trailer. It’s just for any eventual utility trailer runs. Weight distribution: yup. I am aware and still need to research on that part. I believe even the OEM won’t take weight distribution ones; unsure though. Have you towed with yours?
In case I need a 7 pin in the future, I’ll cross the bridge when I get there.
Both Curt and Draw-Tite make hitches that can be used with weight distributing ball mount. They are substantially heavier than the OEM hitch or the "light-weight" Draw-Tite. They use a thick wall round cross member instead of a square or rectangular one. Yes I have towed with mine. I have 7-pin connector and Curt Echo brake controller. The trailer I towed (rental) had about 380 lb hitch weight. It's only my wife and I with little cargo so the not using weight distributing was OK. If we had 2 or more passengers in the rear we would need weight distributing mount.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts