Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's too early but has anyone looked into servicing the 2020 Highlander hybrid brake system? I typically do my own brake servicing, replacement and system bleed. Only experience I've had is with the conventional, older generation Honda brakes which is relatively straightforward to service. Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? Regenerative brake components, other??? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Yes.
1. you need Techstream to bleed brakes or, DAYOR - do at your own risk. Brake actuators are VERY expensive to replace.
2. you have e-Brake right? As in - electric parking brake? If so, it has ot be, again, with Techstream use, released if you wish to place new pads in.
I spoke. DAYOR. $150 dealer to bleed brakes is money well spent, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes, just googled brake bleeding for Toyota and Lexus hybrid. This is way beyond my pay rate. Need laptop and proper software to do it right. I'll pass. What about just straight pad and rotor replacement?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I know it's too early but has anyone looked into servicing the 2020 Highlander hybrid brake system? I typically do my own brake servicing, replacement and system bleed. Only experience I've had is with the conventional, older generation Honda brakes which is relatively straightforward to service. Are there any special considerations I need to be aware of? Regenerative brake components, other??? Thanks
Here's a pdf for replacing the brake fluid in a Gen 3 HH - have no idea if it's the same for the Gen 4. It does list two ways - one with Techstream and one without.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the brake pads and rotors relatively easy to replace? By extension, is there any software "reset" procedure required? Front and rear?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just like any other car. BUT.. to compress rear calipers, if you have electronic parking brake, you have to retract e-brake piston using Techstream.
Well I was going to ask this later but since it came up, Where does one get Techstream (hopefully for free) and is there a cable needed to connect the vehicle to a computer?
I found this site but it looks kinda sketchy....
17. Copyrighted Material: There will be no posts or threads containing a direct link to Toyota Factory Service Manuals. All threads regarding pirating or modifying any copyrighted Toyota material (ie., Entune, Techstream, Techstream Lite, vehicle automation, or safety software, etc.) will be deleted, and Forum Administrators/Moderators reserve the right to determine what material is copyrighted or not. First offense will result in a warning, second a temporary ban, third a permanent ban. Click here to read more about this policy, particularly if you consider it unfair. Links to pirated software of any kind will not be tolerated either.
and does one really need a vehicle interface module as shown in the picture?
Thanks
j

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone attempted to change their brakes yet, using this "hints"? Only have 16.5k miles on my 2020 so I am thinking it will be awhile for me but, always want to be prepared. One thing I always enjoyed about my Lexus, Corolla, and MDX, brakes and rotors are very easy to change and service.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
184 Posts
Has anyone attempted to change their brakes yet, using this "hints"? Only have 16.5k miles on my 2020 so I am thinking it will be awhile for me but, always want to be prepared. One thing I always enjoyed about my Lexus, Corolla, and MDX, brakes and rotors are very easy to change and service.
I’ve done it successfully on my ‘21 Highlander V6.

In that Care Care Nut video above he is doing it on a RAV4 but on my HL his way doesn’t work.
The step where you hold the parking brake switch down for 5 seconds he says to keep foot ON brake pedal, but I had to take foot OFF to get it to work.

I started a thread about it:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have never tried a brake fluid replacement on a vehicle with ABS. I'm pretty sure I could do it, if I had the right tools. Maybe if you keep the fluid up, it is easy. My guess is as long as you don't let air into the ABS system you are fine.
I've pretty much decided I want experts to take care of my brakes. I'm not an expert.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts