Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing guys doing this at another forum, I decided that it looked good and wanted it done with my truck. However, they haven't looked into mirror covers as well. You guys know me well enough that I don't use aftermarket parts if I don't have to. I called a "U pull it" north of me (after almost 4 weeks of searching/calling) and they said they had a totalled 07 Tundra. They wanted $100 a mirror or $5 for each of the covers :D

Anyways, you can see the pics and see if you like it and want to do it:

Parts/Tools: You'll need the following.
T-30 Hex screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Electrical tape
4 - 69210-0C020 Handles
1 - 69217-0C020 End Cap Driver's side
3 - 69217-0C040 End Cap Passenger Side

Note that this is for a CrewMax. If you have a Double Cab or Regular Cab, you'll only need 2 handles, 1 driver and 1 passenger end cap. I bought my kit from Sparks Toyota for $99 including shipping. I'm sure they have a kit if you have the DC or RC. Anyways, we digress.

First for the mirror install:
Here is the back of the chrome mirror. I circled the tabs you will need to get with a screwdriver.

The first thing to do is position your mirrors all the way down until the mirror doesn’t go any further. Then look for the tabs. Starting closest to the cab, push the tab. Be sure to hold the mirror while do this. You’ll see the mirror backing start to come out. Once it comes out you can pretty much pull it out. Make sure to pull from the top as you have to pull the top out first.

After you get the cap off, here’s what you’ll see:

After you get that off, its just a matter of putting the new one back on. Make sure you put the bottom on first and work your way up. You’ll have to snap everything back into place. Don’t be afraid of breaking anything; these covers were pretty durable.

Now off to the door handles:
The door handles are easy. First, you need to open the door and use your screwdriver to pry the cover off. I used the electrical tape to help protect the door and damaging the paint. Once that’s off, you’ll see the T-30 screw you’ll undo.

Start unscrewing the bolt. Don’t be afraid of losing it because it has plastic retainers that prevent it from coming undone. Once the bolt it loose, you’ll need to wiggle the lock portion of handle:

The unit will look like this:

You’ll need to undo the cover by prying gently with a screwdriver to get it off. Replace with the new one.

Now, you’ll need to grab the handle firmly and pull in the direction of the arrows. The handle will easily be removed. I’ve included a short video clip of how to do it as well.

YouTube Video of door handle removal

To install, just reverse the procedure. Real easy. The other doors use the same procedure. PM me if you have questions.

Before and after shots:
Before:

And after:

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that you can take off the handles and mirror covers, sand them down, and paint them to match your truck. That's probably what I would've done if I didn't like the chrome...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had trouble finding the chrome covers in any local wrecking yards. Can anyone help? Anyone want to trade? :hypnosis:

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had trouble finding the chrome covers in any local wrecking yards. Can anyone help? Anyone want to trade? :hypnosis:
Are you refering to the mirror covers?

You may be in luck, unless you are like me and don't like aftermarket stuff. Putco just released a new version of the chrome mirror cap that looks identical to the Limited mirrors. Supposedly, the chrome has a slight lip on it, but otherwise looks normal. There is a guy at TS that ordered them and is going to report back on the fit/finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, the mirror covers. I have seen the aftermarket ones, most apply with 3M double sided tape. :barf: Like you I prefer the oem stuff. I tried to find the part number for just the covers, but was told toyota hadn't released it yet. Did you notice a PN on the back of the mirror covers you installed? Really great write ups BTW, they have helped alot. :thumbsup:

·
Precision driver
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, the mirror covers. I have seen the aftermarket ones, most apply with 3M double sided tape. :barf: Like you I prefer the oem stuff. I tried to find the part number for just the covers, but was told toyota hadn't released it yet. Did you notice a PN on the back of the mirror covers you installed? Really great write ups BTW, they have helped alot. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately, there is no part number on either the black plastic or the chrome cover...but I did find that the part is made by Magna (or so it appears). I also found out you can't order just that piece, you have to order the whole Limited mirror, which is almost a cost of $800 when buying both sides:thumbdown A total crock if you ask me.

This is why I went and relentlessly searched for wrecked Tundra's and got lucky on my 3rd week of searching. Found a totalled one already at a U-pull-it. That's going to be your best option. It sucks even more because its a 5 minute job at the wrecker place and 5 min at your house; definately not worth the $800 retail for new mirrors!

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for the write up. i was able to order the door handles from my local dealer for my reg cab. $55 including overnight and tax. i installed in like 5 mins. piece of cake....still cant find the chrome mirror covers. no luck with the local junk yards. i really want them. it's bummin me out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ANyone know how to disassemble the side mirror housing on a Limited?

I want to change out the bulbs in the light fixture that is on the botom of the mirror housing. The fixture plugs in to a wiring harness.Two things...I can't remove the fixture through the hole and if I unplug it..I might not get it replugged since it is behind the mirror and tough to work on. Help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OK! I have the information on the mirror/glass removal for my 08 CM Tundra. After some digging at the dealership they came up with the removal and the reinstall instructions. Pretty simple! If anyone needs it.....let me know. I'll scan it in and either fax it or email it to you if so desired! Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts