Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i had an idea to use my cupholders to make a cradle for my iphone 4 so i could have it in perfect place and viewable while driving while looking super integrated.

This is just a mock up but took a while haha

i am planning on changing some of it this week and will update with new pics.
So i started by using some memory foam to shape the cupholders. Then i would use the top of a storage box for the bezel because it is thin plastic. So i spray painted the p[lastic and it does not look very good so i will probably wrap it with vynil or something like that. ideas???? then i took the auxilary and put it under the shift boot and ziptide it secure to the side then drilled a hole in my cupholder to slip it through and cut a spot in the foam to run it up there.
then i stuck the bezel on top with some emblem tape. again this did not work well.
turned out okay but not a finished product yet. it is in my car and will keep it in until i redesign

I am going to use the cradle that came with the packaging i think when i build my next one along with some stiffer packaging foam so it supports it better and then probably just wrap the bezel i already made and use a decent adhesive or possible velcrow if i want it removeable.

Let me know what you guys think

Will take pictures with an iphone in there when i see my friend next haha

anyways do share your thoughts
its nice for music, calls, and also for the dyno apps because its a stable area that is held still and flat.
thanks!!!

·
Registered
has no license plate
982 Posts
thats really cool, very creative :thumbsup:

ive always wanted to make a dock of some sort to put my iphone 4 in also, this seems like a good start

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like where it sits. Looks really good and is easy to reach and practical to use. i will go to a fabric store tomorrow and get some vynil to wrap it. i also will change how i dock it but i think i like the platform i started with.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
Great idea, but placing would not work for me as I use my phone (Samsung Captivate... Andoid FTW! :naughty: ) for GPS as well. I got one of the Arkon weighted ones and after about a year, it lost its grip :mad:

Now I gotta find something else. A simple "sticky pad" won't do either as I use GPS frequently, but your idea seems to be GREAT for those not using GPS on the phones! Kudos!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
Great idea, but placing would not work for me as I use my phone (Samsung Captivate... Andoid FTW! :naughty: ) for GPS as well. I got one of the Arkon weighted ones and after about a year, it lost its grip :mad:

Now I gotta find something else. A simple "sticky pad" won't do either as I use GPS frequently, but your idea seems to be GREAT for those not using GPS on the phones! Kudos!! :thumbsup:
x2 ANDROIDS! :woot: but yeah I love my cup holders and use them a lot so covering them up for me isnt practical as I already have issues with storage. Im getting a cheap ebay universal mount and call it a day. And a sticky pad ruined my finish on top of the center air vent:facepalm: it started peeling off
That is where my Tim Horton's Coffee goes.
hmm when I was in BC I saw Tim Horton's and never knew what it was and/or how good it was (someone told me after I came back:headbang:)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
creative idea if it works for u. i'd find it distracting to use it that way for gps or music. when i had my iphone i had a windshield mount for it, now i just place my phone in the cupholder and coffee in the other one.

tim's + android (moto Xt701) = :D

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i run an app that is all touch gesture based, so i set the music i like and then its all gestures from there. I think once its done it will look super clean but we will see how long i like it. So far i really like it

·
The Corolla That Could
09 Corolla S
366 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,788 Posts

That's why I love my Dashmat too, it allows things to stay where I put them. My Garmin friction mount never slides anywhere. :thumbsup:

·
Unofficial TN Member
2009 Rolla S
1,429 Posts
good idea man. I've been contemplating the same thing for a while. But I use mine a lot for gps nav and stuff so I was thinking of having some kind of docking station above the center vents. I hate how I need to disconnect/connect the aux jack everytime I use it so a docking station would be bomb- just push the down into the dock and its done. The dock has the aux input in the back so it can stay there permanently AND can charge the iphone too.

I've also researched that if it's docked and you get a call, you'll be able to hear the other person through the car speakers.

Kinda like this, but this one looks ghetto lol. Im thinking of something factory looking.

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well mine now looks 100% factory!!!! and yes its amazing for calls.
it took me a ton of time but well worth it

this is version 2.0

so i went to joann fabrics and spent 3.33 on materials.

some hard foam and some vynil that looks like the stock interior texture.
the functionality for gps isnt good of course because of area but i dont use it for that at all and i love the clean look. I got a sweet app that lets you navigate all gesture based for music so i dont even have to look when switching between songs.

here are the final pics from version 2.0

So i cut the foam to fit, used the original packaging holder for the phone and altered it, wrapped in vynil and made a pull tab to get it out. then i wrapped the plastic bezel in vynil and used spray adhesive to attach it. actually looks perfect.
so happy

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
v2.0 looks good, not for me... plus my cup holder and area is plastic, so would be a PAIN to match, but looks VERY VERY clean! KUDOS!!

Mods, can we get a sticky up in here?

·
2010 Corolla S
2010 Corolla S
365 Posts
Rather than using that piece as a pull tab, which ruins the look without the iphone in it, perhaps create low spots on the left and right for a thumb and forefinger removal?

I've seen a few designs like this over at mp3car.com, though most stick up out of one cup holder. Personally I'd like to mount mine to the face of the dash so that I can still see it easily.

Good job though, I think it turned out pretty good!

·
OregonRolla7
2010 Corolla S
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
thanks jeff ro the compliments!! it really turned out looking nice i think

except

you are right tf commander bob the pul tab is a bit dissapointing in looks but great in functionality. i just wanterd to get it done for now and im sure i will redesign the cradle very soon. all in all im super happy with it and for under 4 bucks think it looks pretty amazing.

it is not for eveyone considering the position but i think it looks so clean and integrated rather then having it randomly stick somewhere off the dash and just look fugly.

thanks for the constructive criticism and again tell me if you have any ideas. i wanna keep perfecting this idea.
thanks all!

EDIT:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i took the tab out and it does look way better. being that its foam under the holster i can just press the corners and pop the other side up, easy enough.

thanks for the convincing TFCOMMANDERBOB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts