Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Camry LE
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know a lot of camrys have issues with the door sensors not working, or working inconsistently. To replace all four them it can cost you $50+. So to save you guys money I figured I'd publish a DIY on how to repair these guys.

Tools:

(Required)
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Lighter
- Razor blade

(Optional)
- Pencil Torch
- Qtip + Rubbing Alcohol (for cleaning parts after the surfaces have been scraped)
- Vise (makes things easier)

Procedure:

Remove the rubber covering by pulling it up from the bottom, over the moving part and sliding it down the wire.

Next, if you have a vise place the sensor in it as shown in the picture, and using needle nose pliers lightly pull on the metal grounding plate as you heat the pegs in the order shown. be careful as when you remove the grounding plate there is a spring that may decide to go flying if you are pulling too hard. Also be sure to avoid flame contact with the switch part (moving part that is sticking out)

With everything apart it should look like this

The next step is to separate the sliding contact from switch. Press one side in and slide outward.

using the flat part of the razor scrape the gunk and carbon off the contact placing emphasis on the raised portions.

With the sliding contact cleaned the next step is to clean the surface it mates with. to get at this you'll need to modify your razor blade. Using a vise and a pair of pliers or just two pairs of pliers break it so that it will fit in the housing. Scrape the carbon and gunk off the contact surface placing emphasis on the top 50-75%

Last thing to clean is the ground panel. The portion that sticks down into the plastic housing may have some buildup on it. Scrape that off with the razor blade.

Now that all surfaces will function as conductors again, clean the parts to remove any loose dust or gunk that could potentially cake back on. Re-assemble the parts as they came apart and place the assembled unit in the vise as shown below. make sure you push the pegs through the grounding plate. Heat the pegs and flatten them with the razor blade making sure to keep the flame off of switch peg.

Slide the rubber back on by putting the wire through and pulling it over the way it came off. When all is said and done it should look like this.

I hope this DIY has been useful. I know it would've saved me a couple bucks. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

-- Robert

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Camry LE
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, glad you guys like it. quick q, do you guys know if any other gens use this same style switch? I'm thinking it's probably in several toyota/lexus cars and trucks. Seems like something that would be pretty standardized, but that's just a guess.

·
God Machine
Camry
526 Posts
thanks for this DIY !

I got to do it on my car.. all four sensors need that!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,362 Posts
This IS a great DIY. When I inspected my non-functioning door switches I found the connecting plug at the end of the wire did not pull through the mounting hole. It looks like I may have to remove the interior trim to get access. Is that what you found or could you pull the plug out from the outside of the door pillar?

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Camry LE
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Stillrunning said:
This IS a great DIY. When I inspected my non-functioning door switches I found the connecting plug at the end of the wire did not pull through the mounting hole. It looks like I may have to remove the interior trim to get access. Is that what you found or could you pull the plug out from the outside of the door pillar?
On the front all you have to do is pull up the door trim on the front and back on the sides of the pillar than pull the pillar off. behind that there's a white panel. pop that open and you have access to where it plugs in. I don't quite remember but i think with the rear you just pull them out to gain access.

Edit: You need to pull up the bottom of your rear seats to gain access to the bolt for the side parts of your rear seats (the parts that don't move when you fold down the top portions of the rear seat. ). Pull up on the front to unclip that part and slide forward. Then unbolt the side parts and slide them upward to remove. the wire for the sensor will be black, giggle the wire to help find it. It'll be in the hole behind where the seatbelt mounts. You can get at it with either small fingers or some needle nose pliers though.

·
No Fat Bitches
2,044 Posts
wow I thought I was the only person having this problem which was caused by my body shop after I got my paint job!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also have this problem, and I'm going to do this job for sure! (When I'll have a bit more time.) Thanks! This should be sticky.

·
Simpsons fan since 89'
1993 Lexus SC300
1,618 Posts
Very nice and detailed write up. This hasn't happened to mine yet but if it does I know where to go.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Camry LE
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PtBaller said:
wow I thought I was the only person having this problem which was caused by my body shop after I got my paint job!
If the problem started after the paint job, and they painted inside the door jams where the sensor sits chances are the bolt just isn't grounding. Check and make sure the threads it mounts too aren't covered with paint. if they are take the paint off and you should be good to go. The bolt is the ground for the switch.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,362 Posts
Well I hate to rain on an excellent DIY'r but I don't think everyone will need to dismantle their switches or remove the inner panels to get at them.

I used a can of Radio Shack's "Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant". I unbolted the switch and pealed back the rubber cover from the on/off button. I then sprayed the cleaner inside the switch by spraying around the button while holding the switch so that the cleaner would run down inside. I then worked the button on/off a number of times by pressing it and letting it spring back on the stop. I did this several times and voila! the switches work great. Definitly try this before taking the switches apart.

·
Registered
'93 Toyota Camry LE
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stillrunning said:
Well I hate to rain on an excellent DIY'r but I don't think everyone will need to dismantle their switches or remove the inner panels to get at them.

I used a can of Radio Shack's "Control/Contact Cleaner & Lubricant". I unbolted the switch and pealed back the rubber cover from the on/off button. I then sprayed the cleaner inside the switch by spraying around the button while holding the switch so that the cleaner would run down inside. I then worked the button on/off a number of times by pressing it and letting it spring back on the stop. I did this several times and voila! the switches work great. Definitly try this before taking the switches apart.
lol, what's the fun in that? haha good call though. I imagine a lot of switch issues would probably be remedied by that. May have worked on mine, but i dunno, never thought of it.

·
Registered
94 Camry LE
116 Posts
Great DIY! This was a huge help! It always bothered me how weird the light would flash when the doors were open. I created a 44 LED dome light and it has never been so bright and effective! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts