Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Kenwood DDX 512 in my car and faced a few hurdles that seem pretty common. I'll try to give as much detail as possible but please feel free to ask questions or correct me.

So here's my How To for a 2002 Camry LE:

Before you start, get your tools: Wire harness, electrical tape, wire strippers, Metric socket wrench, philips head screwdriver, pry tool, and solder supplies (or crimping supplies)

Step 1: Put your car in Park and if you're as paranoid as I am, pull the emergency brake

Step 2: Disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal on your car's battery

Step 3: Pry off the trim piece around the climate controls first, unplug the the wires attached to this piece

Step 4: Pry off the trim piece around the head unit (stereo, radio, whatever you want to call it), unplug the wires behind the clock

Step 5: Put the trim pieces aside in a safe place

Step 6: Use your metric socket wrench to remove the 4 screws holding the HU (head unit) in place

Step 7: Pull the HU out and unplug the set of wires in the back

Step 8: Use the philips head screwdriver to unscrew the screws holding the two metal harness pieces on the HU (the only 8 screws on the HU). My HU came with screws for my unit so I didn't need to keep the screws but if your HU doesn't come with additional screws, the ones from the old HU should fit)

Step 9: Locate the two plugs (one white and a smaller blue one) that are located in the vicinity of where the climate controls were. They should be bound together and be the only set of blue and white plugs. Unplug them

Step 10: SKIP THIS STEP IF SOLDERING Plug your wire harnesses into the corresponding plugs (blue plug to blue plug and white to white)

Step 11: strip the tips of the wires you'll be using on your new HU and on the wire harness (my wire colors matched perfectly but always double check)

Step 12: Solder or crimp the wires together and wrap tightly with electrical tape. Be sure that there are no raw wires

Step 13: Some HUs come in a metal sleeve to protect the unit. Remove this sleeve

Step 14: Screw on the metal harnesses from the old HU. If you need an HU harness, screw it on at this time

Step 15: SKIP IF WIRES WERE CRIMPED Plug the wire harnesses to the blue and white plugs

Step 16: Plug the HU wires into the back of the HU and place the unit back into the dash

Step 17: Screw the harness back onto the HU housing

Step 18: Replace the larger trim piece after plugging in the wires for the clock

Step 19: Replace the smaller trim piece after plugging in the two plugs to that piece

Step 20: Reconnect the Negative terminal on your car battery

Your new HU should be good to go! I had to splice some wires for my amp/subs during my installation but I think that would've confused some people if I included that in the steps. If you have a question about it, ask me and I may be able to help. I hope this helps! Please let me know if there are any errors in my instructions as well.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts