Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY : Downstream Oxygen O2 Sensor replacement

139K views 73 replies 32 participants last post by  Daijoubu 
so wait, this was done on gen3 or 4 ? do you have exhaust under the driver side ?
mine on gen1 solara (gen4 camry california specs) is on passenger side, and i think i'm supposed to look under the passenger seat for the o2 connector ...

trying to plan this task up correctly while waiting for a new NTK o2 sensor for rear...

unbelievable. great DIY.

i was trying to follow factory manual (gen4 Diagnostics), but for some reason they want you to unbolt the passenger seat which doesn't make much sense, especially they even do not mention peeling floor carpet off LOL :lol:

now i see why DIY says to peel carpet off on driver's side ... because both grommet and connector are under it haha!
worked like a charm, thanks :)

ouch, seems like the thread area is rusted through and now broken. yeah, the muffler shop will have to replace that section.

using tons of PB Blaster and a torch is handy in such situation, but still can't guarantee if it comes loose when it was rusted that bad...

It is a 14mm but, a 9/16" is only 0.0113" larger. So, it's essentially the same thing considering manufacturing specs for tools, also why some tool kits that have both metric and SAE sizes will exclude either the 14mm (if it's got a 9/16"), or the 9/16" (if it has the 14mm).

1/2" and 13mm, 5/8" and 16mm are also usually interchangeable.

Just an FYI.

yeah, I never paid attention to SAE sizing, it takes a while to guy like me - raised in metric system country - to understand (and imagine and compare!) those fractions of an inch just by thinking of them ;)

however what brought me to my (almost) wrong conclusion was the fact that my stupid Duralast 3/8'' metric+SAE toolbox contains the duplicate sizes you mentioned ... unless I remember it wrong, been a while since I opened it ... the margin of error in workmanship of wrenches (quality) is another thing that makes them feel the difference even more between the duplicate sizes of SAE vs metric :)

yes, on my ride it's after the CAT, literally on the exhaust section under the center arm console, the wire to it goes from socket under the driver's seat.

I'd say if your car has the cat then it should have the downstream o2 sensor since it's used for monitoring of the catalytic converter efficiency.

was your exhaust replaced at some point by any chance?

hey guys,

This is going to be a stupid question but i have to ask.

Where exactly is the downstream sensor for the V6 model?
I just replaced the two upstream sensors for front and rear bank but can't seem to locate the downstream sensor.
I've skated up and down my exhaust system 5 times on my new creeper that my lady got me for christmas ^.^ (side tracked) and can't see the downstream sensor =\
Would i be right to assume it is after the cat? would i also be correct in assuming there HAS to be one after the cat no exceptions?
I ran my hands along the exhaust pipe from the cat all the way to the muffler and nothing.
Am i just blind or is there a possibility that my 2000 MCV20R Conquest Wagon is without a downstream sensor?

it could be the spray lubricant you used burning off ... or the sensor is not installed tight (have you used the copper lubricant or something else on threads) or allows the exhaust smoke to pass through threads?

give it a while until car fully warms up. can you smell exhaust fumes under the hood? if not then it should clear up in a while.

good!

just make sure that the flanged washer was crushed (it takes nearly 32ft-lbs to do that), it will feel like it's tight and then it moves a bit more (that's when flanged washer crushes).

I haven't touched egr valve on V6 (there is something odd about it on my car, newer design or something), but it was very easy to remove on '00 i4, however I had to separate it together with the pipe going from back of engine ... went a little downhill from there, because my old valve didn't survive separating from that pipe (tried heating the bolts, valve got melted) ... anyways, I replaced it with a new one from dealer online, along with new washers and it's been good ever since :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.