Toyota Nation Forum banner

DIY gen 2 a/c controls

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  atobe 
#1 · (Edited)
I've noticed that there has been a lot of threads about changing out the bulbs in the guage cluster, etc...

So I opened up the a/c controls on my gen 2 to see what I can do with it. ;)

Backside of pcb (printed circuit board)
-------------------------------------------------

PCB removed
--------------------

Button holders removed
----------------------------------

Close up of the leds
-----------------------------

1. Theres 7 screws (circled in blue) and 3 bulbs (circled in red) on the backside of the pcb.

2. The buttons have to be popped off before you can remove the pcb. I used a small flathead screwdriver to pop em off. Make sure you know which one goes where.

3. Leds are underneath the button holders. Just pull up on em and they'll come off. Make sure you know which one goes where.

4. Theres 14 leds total.

5. You need 3mm leds.

6. The pcb locks into a tab. The tab is located on the bottom of the assembly by one of the bulbs.

7. Reinstalling the pcb can be a bitch. You have to play with it and make sure the button holders line up with the holes in the assembly.

I don't have any leds (I'll have to order some), so I can't show you what it'll look like. But its just a matter of unsoldering the leds and installing new ones.

Where to buy 3mm leds for cheap:

http://www.lsdiodes.com/3mm

Edit:Theres 2 types of a/c controls on a gen 2. Push button and lever. The pics above are of the push button type.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.